Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Go away gift

This bag was given to me when I left my motor mechanic employment in the 1970s. I knew it was in Ray's wardrobe and when I checked, inside there was a heap of letters from his mother, which no one now will be interested in, least of all me, and some photos. I think it was a mix of photos of his English family and local photos in his early years in Australia before we met.

I've kept the photos to go through but shredded the letters, which were just news about family. I had asked his sister if she wanted them, and she didn't. 

So the case must be getting on for being 50 years old. Who would have thought I would still have it at my age. Aside from the inside fabric at its base breaking down, it is still in good condition. 

There was a lot more in the case before I took the photo. Is it a Gladstone bag, or just similar? I can't remember.




PS I've now remembered what a gladstone bag looks like. It is a similar size.

12 comments:

  1. It is an impressive looking bag. Could the material at its base be repaired? Well done for checking whether Ray's sister wanted the letters.
    Yet again blessed blogger hid this post from me. It doesn't show in my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see this post in my reading list either. Darned Blogger again.
    That is a very stylish bag. You obviously had good taste 50 years ago. Still do..don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great bag! I'm glad you saved the photos. You know how I can't stand to see old photos discarded. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful gift. I am sure you could get it repaired. It could be worth a bob or two if you ever wanted to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Men used to love their Gladstone bags... smart leather and spacious enough for whatever had to be carried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bag still has a nice exterior. A bittersweet discovery, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother used to have a bigger Gladstone, which went all over the world with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's in very good condition and would make a great "overnight" bag for holiday stays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leather never loses its attraction.
    Did you use it for your packed lunch in your next job?

    I didn’t see this either this morning - hadn’t come up on Wordpress or Old Reader.. Glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice bag, but is it something of a solution looking for a problem? I have a couple of containers like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a nice looking bag. Is it quite heavy? The photographs must be really interesting, a part of Ray's past for you to treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Go away gift

This bag was given to me when I left my motor mechanic employment in the 1970s. I knew it was in Ray's wardrobe and when I checked, insi...