Saturday, June 15, 2024

The Friday that was

It was a normal morning. Plenty to do at home. More paperwork. Visit the bank. Damn it. I want to go for a decent train trip and I decided to visit Werribee in our western suburbs for brunch. I want to travel on a a suburban train at 115km/h, 71 mph. Our suburban trains can travel faster but 115km/h is the speed limit. So instead of attending to afore mentioned matters, I caught a train.

Not so normal is my recent DIY efforts have resulted in back pain, at times bad. It will disappear within a few days, but I could have done without that. 

Sister called and she will stay here Saturday after seeing a football match and seeing a stage performance. That will be nice. I have Chinese sausage in the freezer, so I can make us my most excellent fried rice, just to use up the sausage. I will have to buy a capsicum and some spring onions. I will probably never make fried rice again. Ray loved my fried rice but I can't see a reason for the effort anymore.

Sister imparted the news that her wife's mother has a variant of Motor Neuron Disease. Bone Doctor, her mother and Jo are flying to Queensland later in the year for the celebration of BD's mother's mother's 100th birthday. BD's mother is a lively person, a retired nurse, and has just returned from travelling all over the 'Stan countries with her friend. She has travelled to the strangest places in the world, places tourists don't generally visit. It is a cruel blow. It is expected that she may survive two more years but they won't be pretty as she rapidly deteriorates. Sister saw her MiL last at Christmas and mentioned to Bone Doctor, your mother is slurring her words. Bone Doctor replied, yes, she's had a couple of drinks. So much for doctors. All very sad.

I enjoyed my trip to Werribee. But luckily Werribee is a train terminus so no rush to leave the train. After sitting for over half an hour, I could hardly stand up. At a cafe I looked at the menu and decided on bruschetta but as I waited to order, I spied as sausage roll. Yes please. It was just an ordinary sausage roll, enlivened by some tomato sauce. My train to Werribee was a German built Siemens model. So, smooth and quiet.

The return trip was a French built Alstom train. The train bucked, bounced and swayed at high speed. I didn't know that about this model of train. Also the air con was blowing down on me. It was heated air but it didn't feel like it. There wasn't anyone interesting to look at, aside from a large young white woman with her quite attractive South Asian husband and their say four year old son. The son was funny and made me laugh. 'We are on an electric train. I want to travel on a purple train (regional diesel powered train)'. He'll be a train nerd, for sure. 

Whatever, I enjoyed my trip. I snapped a mural photo and came across these couple of little delights outside Southern Cross Station. 

A rainbow revolting revolving door and a mention of 1700's Melbourne.



There won't be a Sunday post. It is the day of Ray's memorial, a celebration of his life. I might have a Monday Mural ready to post. 

60 comments:

  1. I am glad that you got the train trip.
    Sorry about the back issues - and hope they settle quickly.
    I love your last photo.
    I hope Sunday goes really well and is packed with love and laughter to go with the tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, a few days until my back is well. I am nervous about Sunday but I'm sure it will be ok. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. A train ride beats home tasks any day, especially with a sausage roll thrown in.
    That's a very quirky sign. Simple message 😏
    Best wishes and a hug for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the internet hug JayCee. Never think they are meaningless.

      Delete
  3. Train ride and sausage roll sound good. If I need a snack when I'm going round the shops it's often a Greggs sausage roll.
    Sorry to hear about the lady who is facing a cruel disease, that's very tough.
    I hope the Memorial for Ray goes exactly as you've planned.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Alison. I am well familiar with a Greggs sausage roll. Some may sniff their noses at Greggs, but I don't.

      Delete
  4. I avoid fried rice now. Totally Keto. Your journal makes me feel that I am learning about you each day. Hope you have a great day remembering Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keto, Roentare? All that fat! My fried rice has plenty of fat from sliced up lap cheong.

      Delete
  5. Love the rainbow.
    Have a lovely day at the Memorial; it's all love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spur of the moment train ride, procrastinating boring duty chores----I love it. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can always be manana, Strayer. I did do some hard yards today.

      Delete
  7. I knew that DIY was a bad idea :)
    Best wishes for the memorial. A good event which honours the essence of a person is always a milestone, I think.
    Bone docs mother will be glad she went to the "stans". What a blow to have a diagnosis like that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs, my dear. I don't know what else to add.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your sister's wife's mother. She sounds like quite a character.

    I'm not a fan of revolving doors, but I'm glad this one at least is rainbow colored.

    And I quite like the "In 1788..." illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is Kirk. I've only met her twice. Revolving doors are too slow for me, even as an aged person.

      Delete
  10. I'll be thinking about you on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the best on Sunday Andrew and remembrance of your dear one by all. Sorry to ear about that feisty 100 year old. I shouldn't use feisty, I know, but how else to describe a 100 year old who tours the 'Stans? Just because.
    Stay safe and warm in your family.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if that was unclear WWW, it BD's mother who has MND, not her 100 year old grandmother.

      Delete
  12. Having cold air blowing on a arthritic back would not help matters much, I imagine. I'm sorry for your sister's mother in law too. So many sad stories in the world. I will be thinking of you over the weekend. Your poor old heart will break all over again, but at the end of love, there is always grief, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, it will be hard today, as I write. I will be pleased when it is over.

      Delete
  13. Best wishes for the Sunday Memorial, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I hope you are both doing well.

      Delete
  14. Pleased you enjoyed your train rides and went rather than do what had to be done. I bet the ride did you good, but not the pain in the back, oh dear!
    So sorry to read about BD's mother, but she has reached a good age..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it helped clear the mind somewhat Margaret. BD's mother is only my age. Her grandmother is 100.

      Delete
  15. Good choice. Outing v. Chores. Rainbow revolving door interesting. Hope you can enjoy Sunday's memorial with all the memories it will evoke. The tears will flow alongside laughter I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I am not sure about enjoy. I just hope it goes smoothly. Yes, tears and laughter.

      Delete
  16. Too bad about the train bucking and shaking, I hope it doesn't have serious problems. Why not make the fried rice just for yourself? What is the Chinese sausage and how is it different from Australian sausage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is cured pork meat sausage. You can find it in supermarkets. It used to be on shelves but I think it may now have to be refrigerated. It is cheaper to buy in Asian grocers. It has plenty of salt and fat in it. Not for regular consumption.

      Delete
  17. I’d have been quite nervous on the train ride home.
    Sending my best wishes for Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fine really. Just a bit rough. I never felt unsafe.

      Delete
  18. I didn't know much about the Western Suburbs until the beloved's medical practices opened up on that side of town. Now all the family knows that Werribee's gardens and parks are very attractive, ditto the zoo and the mansions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope all goes well for Ray's memorial. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Somedays, we need a day out. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope the memorial is filled with good memories, lots of hugs and even some laughs. Take care Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you got away and had an adventure. That's very sad about Bone Doctor's mom. I hope the memorial goes well and do tell us about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so very sad Steve. Such an active person. I will no doubt tell about what is now today.

      Delete
  23. I hope that all goes well at the memorial, Andrew. Have a few toasts for Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Replies
    1. Thanks Merlot. It went well.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear that the memorial event went well Andrew.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Neil. I suppose I would have gotten through this with the support I have but the kindness of blogmates has been amazing.

      Delete
  25. I am sure the memorial will go very well ! As R was a much loved person he certainly will have a wonderful memorial. I was happy with Rick's, there were no family or friends (all death) or living too far away, but all friends from Dario even from Switzerland came because he was the hero of their childhood ! Especially on birthdays !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went well, thanks Gattina. That's nice to hear about when you lost your Rick. I am so happy that you have bravely moved on and adjusted your life to where you are now.

      Delete
  26. Of all illnesses, MND must be the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, it is quite awful. We are observing the slow deterioration of a famous Australian Rules footballer here who has now lost his ability to speak.

      Delete
  27. I have been lucky to have some train travel Adventures on the continent of the US. I adore trains, but of course our Hawaiian Islands have none except a commuter rail that is being built now. Nothing like a ride over hours or days. Traversing this huge North American continent. Thank you for sharing this enjoyable ride. Incidentally, Philadelphia where I spent my early years has refurbished its old 1946 trolleys the so-called presidential commission cars. Cars, I remember from my childhood and they are gleaming and new and being run on the system. I'm sure some rail fans will journey to Philadelphia this summer just to ride them. Best wishes across the Pacific my friend. Aloha from Honolulu Cars, I remember from my childhood and they are gleaming and new and being run on the system. I'm sure some rail fans will journey to Philadelphia this summer. Just to ride them. Best wishes across the Pacific my friend. Aloha from Honolulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudia, I've watched some clips of long distance Amtrak train trips and while not fast, what amazing scenery along the way and in great comfort. Very interesting information about Philly. Thank you.

      Delete

The week that was

But in the meantime much was happening in the foreground for me, and not all particularly pleasurable.  A gay guy who I know through work, t...