Sunday, May 12, 2024

Quandary and memories

This post will be all over the place, just as I am all over the place.

I'm vacillating about going ahead with the carpet and painting. While our carpet is hardly that bad, and nor is the paintwork, it looks very dated. I dunno. It was a hard decision to make when Ray and I decided to go ahead. I'd gee him up with practical details about how it would all work. Of course you can do it hon. You're not even on a walker yet. For his age, he was relatively fit.

Aside from my sobbing and crying with Jo one night. I don't think I'm grieving in the way society expects. I carry on with my life as it was but without Ray. At times my voice cracks or my eyes well, but that is usually when I speaking to someone. 

I had some good Aussie tucker tonight for dinner, Katrina's Kitchen's sweet and sour chicken. I wondered if there was rice in the meal, and there was plenty. It was so bland, but quite edible. I need to use up the frozen meat in the fridge, so I will cook some more over time. 

I posted locks of Ray's fabulous hair to his sisters in England yesterday. I have a lock for myself. Hairdresser Friend has a lock, and there are two more, one for Sister and one for Ex Sis in Law. 

Last night I caught a DiDi to the Elsternwick Hotel for dinner with our Brighton Antique Dealer friend, her toyboy and our Hair Dresser Friend. It was a nice evening, though it was hard to tell BAD about the night when Ray died. While the hotel is on a convenient tram route from here, there is track replacement happening, so a tram, bus, tram to get there. I wanted to be there on time and as a first time user, I had a $15 credit. The DiDi trip was fine. I last heard DiDi has nearly 30% of the market here, with Uber having the rest. Uber failed me once and even last night I tried to book an Uber as a backup for DiDi, and then cancel it, but its app was so terribly slow...non functional really. I caught the tram/bus/tram home and it worked well. Easiest would have to take the car, but then why go to a pub if you can't have a drink. Ray used to drive at night. 

Today I visited Kerferd Road Pier to see some art works along the pier. I bought a cup of coffee and I ate my supermarket bought sandwich, sitting on the seat where we both used to sit, looking over the water. There are so many things Ray would never have done on his own, I dragged him to them. 'Hon, new pier at Altona Beach'. 'Art work on the Kerferd Road pier'. 'Best bahn mi in Smith Street, Collingwood'. 'New art exhibition at the City Gallery'. He would readily agree but none were things he would have ever thought of doing alone. I think he liked that I extended his horizons. I think he liked that I encouraged him to self education when he was younger. I think he liked that I would tell him about a book and tell him he must read it, and he would.

He was not an intellectual person, and neither am I really, but he did have a curiosity about higher culture that I liked. He was a people person. While I thought I remember you saying this two minutes ago and why are you repeating now and you are saying twice again, he would just keep chatting on in a warm and friendly manner. I never got a look in but that's because I'm not chatty like he was. 

He could get it wrong though. He said something nasty to a young Asian woman as she left our lift and had breached some kind of lift etiquette. Later he said to me, I shouldn't have said that should I. No hon, old white men should not try to exercise power over young Asian women. 

Ray certainly wasn't a saint. He could have terrible mood swings. It got to the stage where I could read when one was coming in his face. I knew to not say very much but basic replies. He could find offence from someone that I could not. Bar my two brothers, he found fault with every older family members, and some younger too. 

He could certainly find a lot of faults in me and did not hold back on telling me about them.

Nevertheless, we had passionate sex when we were younger. Over 44 years we loved, we argued, we fought, we agreed, we laughed, we enjoyed, we travelled, we faced deaths of family and friends, we supported each other through thick and thin.

It must be about six years ago when R had to go to hospital for a possible stent heart surgery. It was decided he did not need such surgery. As he left to catch a tram to the hospital, I burst into tears. He gave me a reassuring hug and later that day I picked him up in the car from the hospital. I thought he might die.

In the last few years, he became very anxious about everything, at times overwhelming logic. I don't think I've ever been late anywhere, but at times it might have been a close call. He would always want to be so early to get to an airport or to attend any kind of appointment. He could find anxiety where there was none. He readily expressed about his anxiety levels and apologised for them. "Sorry, I'm just being anxious". 

The average age of male death in Australia is now about 83. I really feel robbed that the very functioning Ray was taken from me at the age of 75. All the things we planned to do are mist.

I cannot imagine the person I would have been without Ray. 

Writing is my therapy. My eyes are wet and my nose snotty after writing this. I'm not going to check for typos. Raw writing it is. Oh, how I miss him.


63 comments:

  1. You are so right about writing all this down being therapy. Brave and honest too. Thinking of you across the many miles x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison. I assume you found me via John Gray of Wales blog. Strangely I have not a comment from him, not an email. He is a busy man, I know.

      Delete
  2. Grief is intensely personal. There is no wrong way or right way. And It hurts like hell. I am glad that you are able to write, and to express yourself. And of course you miss him. Badly. As he would have missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, though I am younger, I really thought I would go first. I've been thinking about what he would have done if the situation was reversed.

      Delete
  3. Your post describes a real relationship, not the sugar coated type that many people show to others. So much of this will resonate with many of us. Certainly me. It tells of your love, affection lows and highs and a real sense of loss. I hope it helps to express your feelings by setting it all down in writing and not bottling it all up. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, it does really help to speak relatively honestly here. No family or our few friends would welcome anything negative about Ray.

      Delete
  4. "I don't think I'm grieving in the way society expects."

    You grieve the way YOU want to grieve; we all do it differently and no one way is right except the way YOU choose for you.

    Sending all peaceful thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaceful thoughts are lovely Bob. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful post. Everyone has to grieve their way. You're doing great. I'm glad you can write it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boud. I'll try to not make a habit of it.

      Delete
  6. This is an honest post about a real relationship written by a man truly grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew . Check your email

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon. As a self funded retiree, I have too much money. I can't work out how you sent it. I only found it as a notification on my phone. I can't see it in any email addresses I have.

      Delete
  8. This was a post full of love - one you shared with the one you loved. Seemingly love shows itself in many ways. You just named many of them.
    Sending love to you and your family - especially you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy. It was true love, warts and all.

      Delete
  9. Honest, loving post. I feel I know your partner better now. It's hard to lose a good relationship. Your last sentence is heartbreaking. But that is how it is, isn't it? Missing someone can take your breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful eulogy. Honest and so full of love. You were lucky to have had each other and yes, you were robbed. It is unfair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, unfair to Ray too. He has so many ideas about his future. I hope the doctor was right in that he was unconscious and didn't know he was dying. He would have worried terribly about me being on my own.

      Delete
    2. The doctor would be correct in this instance and not trying to make you feel better.

      Delete
  11. It may be all over the place, but your love for Ray is the glue that holds it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, there really was a glue. Perhaps because we understood each other.

      Delete
  12. Your end result of the room looks very modern! Spacious too. I get that grief surfaces when you talk to others. My dad passed away 27 years ago at age of 47. I was doing the same thing for 6 months. There was financial mess as a result too. Sometimes I am not sure I am crying for myself or widowed mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I remember crying for the death of my grandfather because my grandmother would be all alone. But she managed. We can cry for anyone who had departed and their closest.

      Delete
  13. We all have different ways of grieving. Just when you think you are coping well a tiny memory renders you incapable and bereft. One day at a time and you are blessed with all those 44 yrs of memories to sustain you. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fun60. Reminders come and go, and some make my eyes well up. Oh yes, the memories. So wonderful.

      Delete
  14. What would you do if you didn't carry on? I don't think there's much other choice.
    You describe a real relationship, nobody and no relationship is Hollywood or insta perfect.
    I'm glad you had such a good life together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, we did have a good life, a selfish one in a way without children. It was always just the two of us.

      Delete
  15. I don't know how society expects us to grieve when our loved ones pass. We all deal with grief in a different way.
    It's pleasing you went out with friends for a meal and I'm sure you will go out many more times with friends for a meal.
    Hugs Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes. I don't set the bar too high for myself in the area of grief. I am still not really believing he has gone.

      Delete
  16. What you feel and how you feel it, is the right thing for you. Writing and talking helps some people. Grief will sneak up on you when you don't expect it. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, don't I know about grief sneaking up on me. Ray always said I was very good at looking after myself.

      Delete
  17. Photos helped me, photos taken at key points in the deceased person's life. I hope the memories will never fade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I hope you have many many photos of your son. Ray wasn't young. Your son was relatively young. Your grief is incomparable to mine.

      Delete
  18. This is a wonderful post. You are living in the best way you can as you go through the worst thing that could happen to you. There's no script - you have to make it up as you go along. It's clear that you and Ray were meant to be together. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true JB. Make it up as I go along, and that's what I am doing.

      Delete
  19. I was going to comment that writing this all down is therapeutic, but then you said "writing is my therapy", so I am glad you recognise this and perhaps just keep doing it. I thought Ray was a bit older, 77, which is still too young to die in my opinion. Put extra boxes of tissues in every room, look at photos of the two of you often, remember all the good times as well as the anxious moments. Cry. As often as you need. it really helps. As does getting out and about on your own, seeing things Ray might have enjoyed seeing and maybe now and again you will feel him there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh River. Lovely and wise words. Thank you.

      Delete
  20. Well your commentators have said it all Andrew. You have written it all down beautifully. The absolute sadness, the long relationship with Ray, written it out of your heart but the grief will haunt you for a long time. But......... we carry the people we love in our hearts and that in a way is a solace, remember the best. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma, we did really have some wonderful times together but I can't directly remember them now. I will in time. Thanks.

      Delete
  21. I want to thank you for letting me know Ray better. I know I would have liked him. A lot. One thing struck me also: How glad I am that you took that last trip to his homeland. How great that must make you feel. Yes, you were robbed of your time. But writing of it is so therapeutic. I do so much of it myself. Off blog for the heavy lifting stuff at times.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, thank you. He was a great person in so many ways. I have quite a few letters written that I've never sent. It helps.

      Delete
  22. Everyone had so many wise words for you, Andrew. You are doing so well to carry on with things and remembering the good times that you had together. Through your writing we have gotten to know Ray as a real person that meant everything to you. Thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can only echo all the beautiful comments above. It sounds like you were a great match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were a good match Jackie. We complimented each other with our own life skill sets.

      Delete
  24. There is no right way to grieve, you do what works for you. That hard part about grief is that it never goes away, it just becomes softer and smaller, more like a kitten (complete with sharp little teeth and claws) and less like an elephant sitting on your chest. It can still hurt but less often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, I know grief does abate and I like your words, softer and smaller.

      Delete
  25. Writing is good therapy. It's nice that you encouraged Ray to broaden his horizons, taking him to places he wouldn't go on his own. Take care Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sami. Sometimes I would find nice places and if I thought Ray would like them, I would revisit with him. Mostly he did like where I took him. I never managed to take him to https://www.sweetnata.com.au/ He would have really liked the tarts, as I did.

      Delete
  26. Sorry, it's Sami

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can only say that we were more or less the same kind of couple. We were also a team. I also try to continue to live as before but it doesn't really work. I never could cry not even when I was or am alone. A new life should start, but it's not possible. I am lucky to be here in my castle, I have company when I need to, I am alone when I want to and I still have my freedom with my car. One day will come that I will miss him but without pain anymore. It will be 2 years end of the month when he died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two years Gattina? That's hard to believe. I get tears in my eyes at times, but I haven't cried like I did when my mother did last year. You have done well on your own, when you were often unwell and with only some help.

      Delete
  28. Your words have affected me deeply. I am in a 38-year relationship with someone now their '80s! "I cannot imagine the person I would have been without Ray" I have thoughts like that lately and try not to be overwhelmed. Bless you my new friend. I am now very interested in reading your posts as I try to live each day and yet must Wonder about being in your situation, or worse, Leaving my love alone. Bless you Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudia. Of course we knew it would happen one day, either me or him, but it just seems too soon. It helps the survivor very much if the person who dies leaves clear instructions, a will, and generally has things in order. I understand your thinking and it is a good thing to 'wonder' about the future.

      Delete
  29. Of course you miss him. Your life has been drastically transformed, with no warning and in an instant. It will take you time to find an even keel, and I'm sure some part of you will always associate certain cafes or benches or beauty spots with Ray. I'm glad you have blogging as an outlet to help you process all this. We're all here with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Everyone's kindness and wise words here have helped me very much.

      Delete
  30. I never know what to say. But anyhow, seems like you've been cut in half in a way. It must hurt a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel somewhat like that Strayer. I have great memories though.

      Delete
  31. He was only my age, I got such a shock after joy of finding your blog again. Now I can't remember how to put it in place to rattle on with you.
    Nine operations in a short time really messes with the memory and forget concentration. Now if you could just pop down and show me how to use my brand new iPad I'd be grateful. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JahTeh. I know nothing of iP anything. I never used them. I hope you are doing ok in spite of so much surgery.

      Delete
  32. I can only agree with the kind sentiments of others. My husband is eight years older and we jokingly banter about who will go first. Selfishly, I seriously want him to live long enough to see our precious pets pass away before my accidental death preceding his. Best wishes and healing hugs, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete

The week that was

But in the meantime much was happening in the foreground for me, and not all particularly pleasurable.  A gay guy who I know through work, t...