Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Maps

I don't think this last YouTube clip from Map Men is their most interesting, but I've enjoyed and found many of clips interesting. I do love me a map, and I have rather a lot of them, loose maps, and as here, my street directories, which I think in England are called A to Z. I don't know what they were called in America. In Melbourne we turned the brand name Melways into a generic name. They are a bit of history now, and that's why I keep what I have. Real estate agents added a Melway reference map number and grid reference to their property advertisements. 

Just before Google maps came to the fore, with a new car we were presented a small Melbourne street directory. While not pocket sized, it was small enough to carry in my backpack when I went out. I used it a few times. Very soon, Google maps on my phone made it redundant.

So yes, I have a number of street directories. This is the oldest and it was my grandfather's I guess published in the 1940s. It is brilliant for old tram and train lines that no longer exist, along with lost streets, like the delightfully name Sloss Street that ran along the frontage of what is now the School of the Arts Dame Elizabeth Murdoch Building.

My first Melways, 1978 edition 11.


I the mid 1980s we visited Adelaide and I must have decided I needed a street directory.


The last Melways I bought, edition 39.


Melways stepped into Sydney with its Sydway. I think the dominant directory there was UBD or perhaps Gregory's. 


UBD also produced a Melbourne street directory, this being a reproduction of the 1956 edition with information about the Olympic Games, held here that year. 


This 1934 Gregory's reproduction edition is terrific as it shows Sydney tram system at perhaps its full extent. 


Edition 29 of Melways  I used to mark all of Melbourne's former tram and train lines that existed, along with the tramways in the regional cities of Geelong, Bendigo and Ballarat. My step father when he was still alive checked my markings on the Geelong map for accuracy and I had done well. 


This marking shows the old inner city railway line. I walked both the inner city circle and the outer circle railway a decade or so ago and blogged about the walks on my old blog. It's strange that I can't find time for such projects now I am a retired person. 


I stapled notes on paper to explain what the lines on the map to explain what I showed. 

I thought I had a reproduction of the first Melways, 1966 but it seems not. It can be found online here

I began thinking about this post last week and it then occurred to me to make a second post with my Atlases, but someone beat me to it with her atlases

7 comments:

  1. I have a box full of maps, mostly cities I have visited. I use GPS when traveling by car. I should order maps of Bruges, I made hotel reservations yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some real treasures there. I love maps and charts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! When we moved here three years ago I managed to persuade P to finally throw away his old Melway map. He brought it with him when he returned to live in England back in 1979. I have no idea why he held onto it for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No paper maps in our house (actually not true, not that I think about it, I do have a Toronto Transit map and a PATH map, for guests) , but we do have a paper Road Atlas book in the car. GPS is great but I do like to see what/where is around us on a road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like maps and still use them when walking in the country. You have a great collection there, full of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to keep a paper map in our car always. And I remember we had an atlas for a long time, big paperback book showing the USA by state and I can't remember what all. I'm not sure you can even buy paper state maps anymore. They used to be given away in service (gas) stations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is funny to recollect a glove box full of maps, but that was the way, wasn't it? You could pick them up at gas stations and along the interstates. It was endlessly fascinating to me as a child to follow our journey along on a map, matching the road signs up with the places on that map. I really loved that. And now, everything is done on my phone. What on earth do children do on long car rides now that there are no maps. Ah yes. They play on their Ipads as the adults consult Google Maps.

    ReplyDelete

Maps

I don't think this last YouTube clip from Map Men is their most interesting, but I've enjoyed and found many of clips interesting. ...