Wednesday, September 25, 2024

The Brownlow

The Brownlow is a medal awarded to the best and fairest player in AFL Australian Rules Football, as judged by field umpires. By some kind of osmosis I know this, which is curious given my lack of interest in any sport (except recently, pole vaulting). 

The award is given out at long a tedious gala night where votes are counted live and broadcast. It has become so boring and tightly controlled. In days of past there was always a footballer who drank too much and misbehaved, perhaps saying something inappropriate in a speech, but not now.

The men dress very boringly, in conventional suits and women go all out with their best formal glam look. I despair at myself for looking at such rubbish on the Information Super Highway, but I did as bombs fell and rockets were fired in the Middle East. 

Here are a few photos from The  Age newspaper of what women were wearing, mostly great but...


He made an effort to look a bit different. No doubt event management came along and made him remove his necklace.



All good so far.


WTF? A milk bottle? 


My head is sitting on my left hand as my head shakes back and forth. Does she have a massive right hand breast that needs a lot of fabric to cover? Truly...

You may be able to look at more frocks here, if that is your thing.

3 comments:

  1. I know that this award exists but little more about it. And am not interested in seeing strangers glammed up (in often bizarre outfits). Bizarre outfits that don't look comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to take a pass on all the gowns....
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

The Brownlow

The Brownlow is a medal awarded to the best and fairest player in AFL Australian Rules Football, as judged by field umpires. By some kind of...