Friday, August 9, 2024

The personal

The painting has finished, thank god. My ensuite shower wall tiles have been regrouted. The bathroom with the shower over the bath should be regrouted today or tomorrow. Monday new carpet will be laid. I have spent hours cleaning away sanding dust, washing everything that used to sit on the shelves, the two bookcases, the wardrobe door tracks, wiping down light switches. It seemed unending but there is not too much more to do now. The dishwasher has played its part in getting things clean but some many things just can't go in a dishwasher. What a mess.





It is pointless to set up the lighting in our lounge room until the carpet is laid, so I only have two lamps working at the moment.

I had a case of the sads the week past. I try to not think about times past with Ray but I can't help it at times. Tomorrow it will be one year since Mother died. What a momentous 12 months since. Not in my wildest dreams did I think Ray would not be here for the first anniversary of her death. 

Reminders are constant. Just yesterday in the South Melbourne Aldi carpark, a woman who I knew by sight was sitting, waiting to be picked up by a volunteer driver. I knew her name and she used to be transported by Ray at times in his volunteer role. As I was walking towards her, 'Excuse me. Are you a friend of Ray? I've seen you together. Where is Ray? I haven't seen him for ages.' Margaret is a good talker, as I know how she delayed Ray if we were there shopping. I explained all to her, and a snap decision by me, told her I was kind of a relative, as she asked if I was. I regret that and if I see her again I will tell her we had been in love for 45 years. 

Of regrets, I have a few. I know Ray loved me and he knew I loved him. I really don't think we told each other this often enough. We took each other for granted. We rarely talked about personal feelings... no, more I didn't. Ray made his feelings quite clear about many things and people, including me. I am a fairly insular and practical person and I think that frustrated him at times. But there you go. Whoever has the perfect relationship, please stand up. 

Towards the end of the of this month we were to holiday in Queensland. Webjet arranged a Virgin airline credit, to be used in six month. That just is not going to happen. Webjet says, don't contact airlines directly. We will deal with problems, and by golly they have. I called and got through quickly, and I applied for a refund on compassionate grounds. I had supply a death certificate copy and a proof of a relationship. I send a council rates bill copy.  While it looks like a fait accomopli, I will have to wait for up to 12 weeks for a refund. Webjet has just been terrific and I am truly amazed. 

I did have a nice two hour brunch with my neighbour a few days ago. She can certainly talk too, but that's fine. I enjoy her company and we text each other each morning to make sure neither of us is with as stroke on the floor. I have two medical procedures next week and she will pick me up afterwards on both occasions. The cafe, new to us, was nice. I think this is a for hire room.


A piano! I could once play a little bit. Mother could play when she was young. It is not like riding a bicycle. You forget. Oddly, H said that while in her job as a medical receptionist, she touched typed, she can't do so now. I had a long absence of touch typing in the late 80s into the mid 90s, but I 've never forgotten. 



Enough blabber. 

28 comments:

  1. Well done you. And hooray for the sprucing up being nearly over. Those sads are inevitable - which doesn't alter just how hard they bite. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having an effing horse strolling around a cafe would be off-putting for me. For one thing they often dump on the floor. Do they have horse meat on the menu?
    Pleased to hear that you have a friendly neighbour to connect with on a regular basis. Sounds like her heart is in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. You two were together for 45 years, it will take time for it to stop hurting so much. I'm glad you have a neighbor who checks on you everyday, to make sure you're not dead:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't envy you having to do all that cleaning. I think I would quickly become overwhelmed, but then I am a wimp.
    I am sorry you have been sad. Taking a loved one for granted is pretty usual I would think. I know I have cried buckets, wishing I had told my dad how much I loved him before it was too late.
    Big hug from me, Andrew x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staying together for 45 years is no easy feat. Especially the divorce rate is over 50% in 2 years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so acute yet in Australia. Just dealing with legal marriages, about half end in divorce and the median time from marriage to separation is 8 or 9 years (divorce can be much later), so I suppose you could say a quarter of all marriages end within 8 years.

      Delete
  6. Those sad, and happy, moments will come and go, but the memories will still be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cafe looked charming. Having people who are part of your life and will be there to help you. 45 years!! Aren't you about 30? Take care. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thecontemplativecat here. sorry, I forget to include my address.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I take it this woman did not know Ray was gay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that first year of getting through reminders and special days is hard. Especially when people don't know, and ask after Ray. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am pleased to hear you sounding a tad brighter. Good luck with the procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having brunch with a friendly neighbour is wonderful, once you are retired. When the sun is out, even in mid winter, it is such a pleasure to sit in the sun outside the house or cafe. If you like the company, I would arrange a similar brunch once a month, or whatever fits in with your plans. And you can invite other people as well - people who are a bit lonely but would really love the company.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No perfect relationships here and I never learned to touch type, though I do well enough with my hunt-and-peck style. I hope you do meet that woman again and have a nice chat about Ray, about loves and lives.
    Your room doesn't look too messy and you'll soon have everything back in place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, even though you're busy and planning and managing stuff on so many levels, you must be missing the Love of your Life desperately. Your dear Mother too. Hugs.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fortunate you are to have such a lovely neighbour, some people just wouldn't care at all about keeping an eye on you and you and eye on them/her....good on the pair of you.
    My I bet you thrilled to have the painting done and when the carpet goes down and all is done, you can sit back and admire everything with all your spring cleaning done - well done Andrew, rather a large chore to get that all done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't envy you the cleaning up but it must be so nice to have everything looking fresh and smart again.
    Memories are tricky beasts and can catch you out. It's good that you have a concerned neighbour and friend

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andrew, do I detect that you regret the missed opportunity to be more forthcoming to Margaret? I wonder if, put on the spot, you were torn by a loyalty to some reticence on the topic on Ray's part that Margaret's question implies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was thinking about loneliness this morning and how to explain. It is like an empty space circles around you, the other half of you is not there. Yet I live with my family and so have contact with others. Memories are going to chase you till the end of your days so learn to accept them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad the painting is finished, the carpet will go in fast. We are of that age where there is a hesitancy to say, partner, spouse, husband . . . we should be more brave.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could have sworn I commented on this post when I read it yesterday but maybe not. At first I thought that horse was in your flat, and I thought, "Well, THAT's an interesting decorating touch!"

    I suppose we all have regrets of one kind or another, but the fact that Ray knew you loved him is the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Andrew, thank you for this post with so very much that I relate with! Counting my blessings everyday that my partner is still with me. And yes, any kind of repairs or maintenance is a nightmare. My heart goes out to you. I very much admire how you are carrying on and appreciate getting to know you. Glad you have a neighbor who will pick you up after your procedures. I know all about that as well and certainly hope they go well. Aloha across the Pacific

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure Ray knew you so well that he knew you loved him even if you didn't say it a lot. Some of us are very reserved in our emotions, Andrew.
    Good luck with the cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No standing up here, as far as a perfect relationship. I congratulate you for a long-term loving partnership which no doubt Ray appreciated wholeheartedly. Actions speak louder than words, as the saying goes. ~hugs~ My husband and I know that our teamwork has gotten us through many difficult periods, whether we 'liked' one another at the time or not. lol Best wishes on good health and enjoyable friendships, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  24. No saints out there either. No perfect relationships. Anyhow, I'm sorry about the losses you've experienced in one year, both such big parts of you and your life. If I could, I'd bring you a couple of kittens, to fill you with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know what to say tonight so I'll just send you a hug, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete

Metro Park

Melbourne's Metro tunnel will transform the way many of us get about. It will certainly do so for me. The tunnel will open next year and...