Sunday, June 2, 2024

Sunday Selections

I am joining with Elephant's Childnull, RiverRiver and others for Sunday selections. Most of the photos this week aren't mine and you will note a vehicles on steel tracks theme. (I see linking hasn't been fixed. I wonder how it will appear when published)

Immediately I recognised this vehicle, located in the US. Do you know it? Its common name too. 


Photos from Shorpy.com . It's cold wherever these train are in the US.  


Lots of steam and smoke.


This one is so cold its nose is dribbling and the dribble has frozen.


What a marvellous looking train, which I seem to remember ran down a street in New York City.


This is a long one but oddly there is only one engine towing. I would guess there is also one at the rear pushing. 


More photos from different floors in our building. I don't know which park this is but it seems spot on for the 1st of June, the official start of our winter. 


Southbank, I should think, looking towards the city over the Yarra River.


Looking past the fountain at the National Gallery of Victoria to theatre building with rather odd lighting. 


The once kiosk, now a cafe, at the end of St Kilda Pier.


Two spoons. How can this be interesting, you ask. The one on the left comes from our cutlery drawer, the one on the right from a gift of a canteen of cutlery. It doesn't show up very well but the right has ridges along the length of the handle. One set is going to the a charity shop. I thought maybe the newer one with the ridges would be nicer to have.

One Christmas Hippie Niece and the father of her twins phoned a few years ago and asked what they could buy us as a Christmas gift. We said, a set of six steak knives. Instead we received the canteen of cutlery. Go figure! We subsequently bought out own steak knives and the cutlery set was never used.

What I did discover is that the nicer looking unused set weighed half the weight of our regular set, so the regular set is staying. So that, along with a full set of ornate silver plated cutlery, not used for a couple of decades, are both going to the charity shop.  


The spare room wardrobe was overdue a clean out. I took old board games, jigsaws and a few other bits to the charity shop, but the shop didn't want the Christmas tree as they didn't have storage space. Another might. Some months ago I cleaned out my own wardrobe. There is only the huge job of tackling Ray's wardrobe and drawers left. I want to complete most of this before the painting and recarpeting starts. 

35 comments:

  1. The links work - null (should I be offended) takes me to my blog and River's link to hers.
    Love the frozen dribbles.
    Good luck on sorting before the painting and carpeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the links are a queer thing and not really fixable by a blogger. So many things could be sold online to make money but I don't have the wherewithal.

      Delete
  2. My links didn't work last week but now they do. A Blogger glitch. Love the railroad stuff and goodonya for the cleanout. Always hard. I have a fair ways to go still with that.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, in a way I can't wait to look at Ray's papers he has stored. I think he has letters from his mother among a lot of other written stuff and documents that will be interesting.

      Delete
  3. These train photos are looking fabulous. Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, for the time when they were taken, they are of amazing quality.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to share these photos with my husband. We're both fans of trains but he actually picked out train themed wallpaper for his childhood bedroom. :D Best wishes on all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, there is avalanche of old train photos on the internet, but these are high quality photos.

      Delete
  5. The kiosk at the end of St Kilda Pier used to be such fun for the whole family. It may be more elegant now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am not sure about more elegant, but certainly more modern, and practical. I will visit it again once the pier renewal has been completed.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of you stopping at each floor to take photos of the pictures on the walls!
    I know what you mean about light cutlery. It needs to have some substance behind it.
    Your decluttering is coming along well. Be gentle with yourself when you do Ray's things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, I haven't done that yet. There are two photos each floor, we use our level and 2 for the carpark, 3 for the gym, haha. Yes, the new cutlery felt cheap when I picked it up.

      Delete
  7. That New York trail looks like end to end dozens of airstream trailers hooked together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point Strayer. The engine really gets me.

      Delete
  8. I like a bit of weight to my cutlery too. I remember spending almost an hour in a department store holding knives and spoons from each set on display to find the set that felt most comfortable in my hand. I've had that set 14 years now.
    I don't like that train you call "marvellous" it looks faceless to me. A bit like an earthworm, where you can't tell one end from the other. Haven't a clue about that first picture, what is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes once you get the right cutlery, you can use it for life. That the train is faceless is why I like it. It's so different. I won't say about the first photo until the English wake from their slumbers and they will answer the question.

      Delete
  9. Goodness what a very long train, sees like the trainline people followed a snake.
    Amazing photos of the trains and your imagination Andrew.
    Cutlery sets, we have one with the ends of the handle's 'round', pointy ones can stick into the palm of your hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes snaking its way along a hillside, not having to climb a hill too steep. I remember we had cutlery that we didn't like for the very reason you mention. I had forgotten about that. Our daily set has rounded handles.

      Delete
  10. I have no idea that first picture is. A stretch limo train?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That immensely long train snaking along the track is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, we have mining trains in the outback here to take dug up stuffs to port, and they can be a kilometre long, say .6 of a mile. Most people will never see them.

      Delete
  12. Cool trains I love train trips The nicest ones were the steam train trips and the train from Christchurch to Greymouth here in NZ because of the scenery. I have a cleanout every year and a box goes to the salvation army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja, it is a regret in my life that I never travelled on your Trans Alpine train. The trip south from Dunedin to Taieri Gorge was brilliant. The trip north from Christchurch is good too.

      Delete
  13. Did I miss that before? If not, I like how you snuck in at the end that you've decided to go ahead with the painting and recarpeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, I don't remember if I said it or not, but its been half paid for and I am in about four or so weeks. I am scared about it, but I will cope, and I hope the end result is good. You never know, maybe someone else will see the end result.

      Delete
  14. I am still trying to give away some silver plate, it was my great grandmothers and I can't find a family member who will take it in. No one want to polish it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so much silverplate from my mother and it never gets used . It is all black and I should really clean it before giving it to a charity shop.
    One day at a time as they say, Andrew.
    Glad that you are doing the redecorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may as well Pat. Those treatments where you put a chemical in water, soak, then rinse and dry off work well enough.

      Delete
  16. I think charity shops often frown on Christmas trees. They're a hard sell -- apparently no one wants a used Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I will try somewhere else, otherwise bin it.

      Delete
  17. I’ve apologised on the blog for my lack of support over the last month
    And I’ve emailed u too
    I know only too well the emotional pull,of going to charity shops with goods one person in your life loved once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John, I am sure you do know. I suppose it is just part of moving on.

      Delete

To the hills!

If not covered in cloud, I can see Mount Dandenong and even the tv transmission towers that sit upon the top of the mount.  Tenant Phyllis a...