Sunday, December 31, 2023

NYE 2024, the passings

I feel kind of amazed that I am still around in the year 2024. Many we know so well from screens and radio are not around to see 2024, although they came close.

I went through a few lists but these are who...what? Entertained me at some point or made an  impression on me. Maybe they were funny, maybe sexy, maybe so talented, maybe bad. Who knows. 

No special order and the photos are generally found widely on the internet.

Australian singer Renee Geyer, 69. (Fun person)


Australian painter John Olsen, 95.


Australian comedian/radio/tv presenter Doug Mulray, 71.


Australian performer Barry Humphries, aka Dame Edna Everage, 89.


English fashionista Dame Mary Quant, 93.
 

Irish singer Sinead O'Connor, 56.


Italian actor/model/politician/photojournalist Gina Lollobrigida, 95.


Australian Labor politician Simon Crean, 74. (Much admired by me and I remember seeing his parents frequently travelling on trams)


New Zealand/Australian comedian Cal Wilson, 53.


Australian Catholic priest Cardinal George Pell, 81. 


Israeli singer and actor Topol, 87.(I so remember my father singing 'If I Were Rich Man').
 

Australia actor Johnny Ruffo, 35.


Australian media personality Diane (Bubbles) Fisher, 91. 


US actor Matthew Perry, 54.


US singer/songwriter and daughter of you know who, Lisa Marie Presley, 54.


US actor Piper Laurie, 91. (She was in a good Australian film called Tim, with a very young and hot Mel Gibson)


Japanese actor./musician/composer/music producer Ryuichi Sakamoto, 71. (I was sad as I thought he was wonderful in the film Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence. He was such a high achiever)


A scene from the aforesaid film, with David Bowie.



US composer/musician/songwriter/record producer Burt Bacharach, 94.


US actor Cindy Williams, 75. (Laverne and Shirley, she was Shirley).


US tabloid talk show host Jerry Springer, 79.


US singer/actor/civil rights activist Harry Belafonte, 96. 


US singer/fabulousness Tina Turner, 83. 


US jazz and popular music singer Tony Bennett, 96.


English television interviewer Sir Michael Parkinson, 88.


Irish-English actor Sir Michael Gambon, 82.


Spanish fashionista Paco Rabanne, 88.


US actor Raquel Welch, 82.


Australian entertainer Rolf Harris, 93.


Italian politician Silvio Berlusconi, 86.

And not a celebrity, just my Mum, Thelma, 89.

Removed.

I wish you all a very happy, healthy and calm 2024. πŸΎπŸŽ‡πŸ§¨

47 comments:

  1. Last on your list but the most important one of all.
    Wishing you a safe and healthy 2024 Andrew x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish that some of them were still here - and that some others had shuffled off the mortal coil earlier.
    Goodness your mama looked good for her age.
    Welcome back. I have missed your daily posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words as always EC. The photo is ten years old but physically she only seemed to age a couple of years before her death.

      Delete
  3. Among them, Jerry Springer's talk show reminds me of my younger years in hospital training. Everyday at 4 am, that is the only replay I can watch in staff room TV before handing over to day time staff.
    Finally I get to see your mum. She seems feisty but also resourceful. I hope you a great 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, Springer was rather awful as I remember. Mother was very resourceful in getting everyone to do things for her.

      Delete
    2. A combination of charm and helplessness.

      Delete
  4. Here's to new beginnings. I wish you and yours a happy, healthy and peaceful 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB, and in return to you. May your winter be short.

      Delete
  5. The lady in your life looks as though she was fun. As Janice just said - new beginnings are calling. We’ll start the year with a smile and see how we go from there.
    Happy New Year Andrew (and of course R)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the people you mentioned lived decently long lives (over 75) , thankfully. I will miss Parky, Springer Topol and Crean badly but not as much as you will miss you mum.

    By the way, my mum's name in English was also Thelma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I won't miss Springer. Yes, I know you mother's name was the same. There used to be a Victorian or Australian club for Thelmas. Not many left now, but my step mother has the same name.

      Delete
  7. You sometimes forget those who've passed.
    But you saved the best for last, as you should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to forget Bob and later wonder did she/he die? Happy New Year, assuming you use the Gregorian calendar.

      Delete
  8. Most of them had the gift of many years on this mortal coil. It always strikes me as tragic when people like Matthew Perry, people who have earned the money and fame to be able to go anywhere, to do anything...and they choose to squander that.

    2023 has been a rough year for you. May 2024 be less challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby. Best wishes to you. Fame and fortune brings only that. Sad but true, they are still fallible humans like the rest of us.

      Delete
    2. I really think that fame opens doors. Matthew Perry could have done any number of good works. Anywhere in the world. Any organization. He could have used that fame to give voice to any cause he chose. And don't you think that doing good things is a powerful gift to your own psyche?

      Delete
    3. Yes Debby, he could have done wonderful things. I feel a little shame that I haven't contributed enough to society. Wouldn't we all like to do more? But it has to come from your personality, tempered by fears, personal likes and dislikes...many factors really. Many with fame and fortune do step up and deserve praise for doing so, but it just isn't within everyone. Our niece Jo is a quiet teenager with few personal friends, which does concern us but put her on a stage, it is like a changed person. It's quite like drag queens I've known. Meek and quiet gay men become the most outrageous drag queens once they have their garments, hair and make up applied. If they never did drag, they would be forever known as meek and quiet. Just because Perry was a successful tv performer, should more be expected from him? Now, please stop making me think. I always found it to be so destabilising, haha.

      Delete
    4. I was speaking more to his unhappiness. He could be quite bitter at the success of others. Yet he had more advantages than most.

      Delete
  9. So many losses, some way too young. I just read a list of pets that passed this year; and I'm sad my sweet kitty Jezebel was one of them. ~sigh~ That's a darling picture of your mother. I'm with you on having a peaceful 2024. It's too bad evil people don't understand the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, the pain of loosing pets is so immense. Poor Strayer lost so many last year. Yes, evil people we hear and know about and those who we don't.

      Delete
  10. Awwww, your mom. :(

    YES, Mel Gibson was ridiculously hot in "Tim." It's a shame he turned out to be such an extremist in later life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, yes who would have thought he would become such a monster. Interesting that you saw the film Tim.

      Delete
  11. Yes, so many have departed. Quite a number of them. Familiar with Tina Turner and Sivio Berlusconi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pradeep, ever famous for his bunga bunga parties.

      Delete
  12. Have a Happy New Year to you & R!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ages of some were astonishing to say the least, some welcome. Some devastating like Sinead's. Thanks for sharing your mum's. How lovely was her smile?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, yes Sinead's was tragic, as was the the 35 year Australian actor to cancer.

      Delete
  14. HNY Andrew to yourself and R.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many gone and that's probably the tip of the iceberg. I remember Gina Lollobrigida, she was one of my Dad's favourites. Mr Sakamoto aged well, nice face. Your mum was pretty too.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is a bit strange how my mother retained her looks into her older years. Every night she would apply Oil of Ulan to her face and neck. She was very vain.

      Delete
    2. Nivea for me, but no vanity.

      Delete
  16. Best 2024-wishes for you (and R.)! Greetz from Perth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Said out very loudly HAPPY NEW YEAR JAN. I bet your pool has been well used in 2023.

      Delete
  17. Lovely to see a photo of your mum there Andrew.
    Didn't know some of the others had gone.
    The movie Tim, remember that only wish they would bring it back on TV or something.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I remember the very sad scene in the film where Tim's mother died. It would be good to see it again.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks Kirk, and equal wishes back to you. You making a comment on my blog posts makes me happy.

      Delete
  19. Your mum's the most notable of all those celebrities lost.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year to you both. Yes there were a few big names in that list. Glenda Jackson also died but she may not be as well known in Aussie. Fabulous photo of your Mum. I hope you have that framed somewhere in your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Marie. I wasn't aware Glenda died, a person with fine values and principles. I may well frame that photo. It's a good idea.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...