Sunday, December 24, 2023

Nearly there

If you are near my time zone, it will be the eve of Christmas as you read this. If you're not, you probably should be tucked up in bed or thinking about it at least. It's time for some Christmas cheer that doesn't come in a bottle with some Christmas themed photos I've taken. I haven't been out and about too much of late on my own, but I plan to resume roaming the city in the New Year.

Acland Street, St Kilda.


Prahran Square.


Melbourne Town Hall for the next few.





Above the masses queuing to see the Myer Christmas. While we did see the Bluey animatronics display with our Friend from Japan, when we took Jo, the queue time would have been a couple of hours, so she didn't get to see it this year. I didn't think that much of the display myself. 
 

Oh yes, there is a religious connection to Christmas.


Federation Square.



Darls, it's a tram on a tv screen. There is no point in waving to the passengers.



Now a few from home.



Annual Christmas party across the road, not as big as in the past. This year the wait staff were all in pink full length aprons.


R's Christmas cake. It has had a weekly brandy feeding since it was made Cake fringe seem impossible to find now, so he had to make do.


He ummed ahhed about putting the tree up, as he has for the last couple of years but two weeks before Christmas, up it went.



Frosty would be thirty plus years old, as are most of our decorations. A tea candle is placed inside him and the light comes our of the star openings. We don't want smoked walls so we don't light him up every night.


We were a bit overwhelmed with flowers when Mother died, and none have reappeared since. R stopped buying the weekly flowers. I've not mentioned the matter. I think it may be grief related. R's three sisters sent this bunch for Christmas.


The light bulbs were painted? by Ex Sis in Law many years ago.



The reindeer were back but the volume had been turned down this year, so I didn't find them as good.


And how could we not celebrate without Kim Wilde, a little the worse for wear and her brother on a train, concluding with Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree.


We will be away for a week or so, staying in a seaside cottage near Sister's. It's going to be a rather different Christmas this year without someone who I have spent every Christmas dinner with for all of my life.

Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings to you all.


28 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, even if a bit different. In one way they're all still with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your decorations. I am particularly fond of the koala climbing the candy cane. My city seems to have been a bit low key this year. I do hope that most of your time away is enjoyable and that memories don't (often) overwhelm you. Happy Christmas to you, to R, and to your extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your festive photos; my decor is paltry this year while yours is beautiful. May your hearts heal and you have and a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't edit out the extra "and". Heh... Be well.

      Delete
  4. Have a lovely time at your seaside cottage! Like you, I am not hugely fond of candles in the house - even at Christmas - because of the sooty smoke they emit. Merry Christmas Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the photos in different corners of Melbourne. I thought I could venture into the festive sights after the return from Warrnambool. Then I am catching up on my sleep. Really buggered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy seeing the Christmas decorations down under. Not sure I could get used to a hot Christmas though. Must be hard feeling festive for you this year. A few tears will be shed but you'll get through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will probably all have lots of stories to tell from Christmases past so the memories will live on. Enjoy! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the koala bear. All the other images seem to ignore Australian experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the trees and the woman waving at a video!

    Have a very merry holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas Andrew - this will be a difficult ‘1st’ but the pain will be eased with the help of family and friends.
    Onwards and upwards next year eh? 😘

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas, Andrew. The first holidays always are especially poignant. My best wishes to you and R.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is always a bitter sweet time of year, especially as we get older and people we love are no longer around. Have a wonderful break and enjoy the family.
    Thanks for being a much enjoyed part of my daily life.
    Merry Christmas to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As others here have noted, it's going to be bittersweet, but I hope nonetheless there's some merriment in your Christmas. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the singing reindeer! Your city trees and decorations are so much better than ours. Adelaide does Christmas quite poorly since John Martins closed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad R set up your tree and put out your decorations. It's important to maintain a little tradition! Have fun at your holiday cottage -- on the beach, like us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you & yours a Merry Christmas, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim Wilde and company sound a bit off tune.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's strange for me to see people in T-shirts and dressed like in summer, while here we had the first victim of a Christmas Tree who fell down because of the strong wind. And of course it rains. At least several times in my life I could celebrate Christmas like you do, in a bath suit on the beach, that was in Teneriffe and then in Egypt ! Father Christmas was waiting for us on a camel !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Da gusto recorrer las ciudades, con los preciosos adornos de Navidad.
    Bonitas fotografías has capturado en tu salida.
    Feliz Navidad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For me it day after Christmas. December 26.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you enjoyed Christmas, Andrew. Maybe it was a bittersweet one?
    Your decorations are gorgeous, all of them, but the tree is my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many of the loveliest English and American Christmas songs contain references to snow, so I'm wondering if they get played much where you are. Like Kylie, I choose the photo of your own little tree as my favorite. Much of what I know of scenes in Australia come from photos on your blog and others, and they always portray a country that is cleaner and more prosperous than America. I don't know if you've even been here, but is that true do you think, or are the photos I see only taken in the prettier areas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a post in this question Snowy.

      Delete
    2. "There is a post in this question Snowy."

      At least one and maybe two, and to think that for all this, I only ask for a mere fifty percent of your enormous profit for each post.

      Delete

Just writing

It is over three weeks since Ray died. I seem to be doing ok. There seems to be plenty to occupy me, with dealing with matters related to hi...