Tuesday, January 2, 2024

2024 Bits

We had a lovely time away. I haven't sorted the photos yet. They will come but nothing too outstanding. 

I read in the electric newspaper that older people aren't very inclined to make New Year's resolutions but there wasn't an explanation. It is pretty obvious to me that our years have taught us that they don't work. I've made none beyond be more self indulgent, as if I could be anymore self indulgent.

New Year's Eve saw us out pub dining with our visiting Friend from Japan. We were home by 8.30. At 9.30 we went down to the tram stop below and watched the early fireworks. 

At the pub, while my meal was roast pork, R and Our Friend from Japan had vegie burgers, which they both declared were delicious. But vegie is disappearing from menus etc, in favour of the plant based. I can imagine advertising agency boffins saying, vegie sounds derogatory. Let's make it more acceptable by calling the food, plant based.   

She stayed overnight and we drove her home New Year's Day, which may have taken longer than she using a tram and train as I used the wrong motorway exit. It was nice to spend some time with her. It's hard to believe it is 13 years since we visited her in Japan. After dropping her off where she is cat sitting, we drove to Moonee Ponds and had brunch and then bought sympathy cards.

R is meeting his former workmate next week for lunch but her 90+ year old father died last week. The lunch will go ahead, as she said, it will be mental break from funeral organising. R's cousin in the north of England is in hospital and dying. We visited her this year when we England, err, last year. She was old but still ok. She is now comatose and we are expecting news very soon. We bought a sympathy card to send to her son and it felt a bit wrong to do so before she has died.

I didn't stay up until midnight, but I may as well have as I felt like crap New Year's Day morning. I'll blame R's cocktails, though they were carefully measured.

Mid January we will back on the Bellarine Peninsular looking after Sister's dog and two cats while they are holidaying away. 

The usual propaganda came out New Year's Day morning, with police and other sources saying the NYE crowds were all well behaved, with everyone having a jolly old time.. As the day went on went on we learnt of a stabbing, a glassing, shocking over crowding at our major railway station, a house set alight by flares, people with burn injuries from illegal fireworks, etc etc.  

I've decided to accept American to mean a citizen of the US. It isn't correct but a Canadian with quickly correct you if you call them American. It amazes me that two English speaking countries with a long common border can be so different.  

R made tuna mornay with carrots, broccoli, peas and rice for dinner. He made enough for another meal that is in a dish ready for the freezer. I told him to leave the dishes and I would do them. that is load the dishwasher. He accepted my offer with alacrity, lay on the sofa and fell asleep. On tv is a show about American guide dogs for the blind, kind of interesting. 

Hair cuts for us tomorrow, maybe an egg and bacon toasted sandwich and coffee at a favoured place. I don't have a ready reply when the 'what will we have dinner' question is asked. Maybe I'll say lamb chops, mashed spuds and vegetables. 

They don't feel like holidays, so I'll just say times away from home this year past in reverse order:

2023 Queenscliff December

2023 Rochester November 

2023 Sydney October Room 1509

2023 Torquay August 

2023 England April/May

2023 Strathalbyn SA, March

Just to note, while I don't blog or make comments on blogs when I am on holidays, I do still keep up with what you all put out there online. No doubt you will all entertain me in 2024. 

33 comments:

  1. It always seems particularly poignant when people die at Christmas/New Year. I suppose it's because you can never forget when the event happened, even if you try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, it seems to happen so often. My mother's death date will be easy to remember, three days after my sister's birthday.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you had a lovely time when away.
    I find it so hard to find a sympathy card that I like that I do buy them in advance. And then can't find them.
    I neither saw nor heard any fireworks this year - which is unusual. Perhaps I was just very soundly asleep.
    What's for dinner is always a difficult question - made more so here because we have such different diets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it must be like thinking of what to cook for two meals each night, rather than one. We try to match a sympathy card to the person, so buying in advance would mean quite a variety.

      Delete
  3. That sums it all up quite succinctly for 2023. Looking forward to your 2024 posts.
    I shall try to keep you entertained in the future but am not sure, though, that my blog will be up to snuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, thankyou. I am sure we will all continue to follow you with interest.

      Delete
  4. I never buy cards with pre-written stuff. Always use my own or blanks for personal messages.
    Your year was quite spectacular. Mine was spent avoiding trips due to ta-da health issues. But I like to plan and dream. If it's driving I'm on but planes intimidate me now after uncountable miles flying every and anywhere.
    Happy New Year Andrew and so sorry about the cousin.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, I've never gotten used to flying. I detest airports and that's never gotten any easier. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  5. It must be a terrible feeling when people you know are leaving this world. We all come to this world alone and leave solo too. You still have an active social life. I only have one friend to hang out these days by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, we only have two friends who we see often. Life has changed but I really don't feel like we lack anything, perhaps because of my large family.

      Delete
  6. Stalker
    Andrew. HNY
    The pic of your Mum was absolutely gorgeous. What a wonderful happy memory you have
    My view Veggie burgers vs plant based..Veggie good, plant based bad. Rs veggie burger would have been delicious and sustainable and healthy Next time you are in the supermarket check out the ingredients on plant based… if you are interested in fabricated food then plant based is the way to go. Don't expect your health to improve and don't expect it to be sustainable . Apparently though it is often advertised as tasting like real meat! Where have we ended up when you don’t want real meat but want to eat something that tastes like real meat !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and in return to you Stalker. That's very interesting about plant based and I don't like the sound of it. If I was a reluctant vegetarian, I think I would be chasing anything that tasted like meat.

      Delete
  7. I don't know anyone who made it up to midnight. I think I will get hold of my sons and ask them if they made up to midnight. Both of them is in their 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In your previous post, how come the most important face of those who passed away in 2023 was left until last? Your mother had a lovely smile and that's a great picture of her. Happy New Year Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best is always saved for last.

      Delete
    2. YP, she wanted the last word. Thank you, and Happy New Year to you and Mrs YP.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year to you and R, Andrew. Here's to another interesting year.
    I have heard some Canadians refer to themselves as NORTH Americans. God forbid they be confused with the citizens of the USofA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Merlot, and in return. I think Canadians who call themselves North Americans are traitors.

      Delete
  10. The long common border between Canada and the U.S separates countries with two different spoken languages, different spelling and grammar, incompatible gun laws, parliamentary systems, universities and every other important aspect of modern life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am trying to think of two other countries that speak the 'same' language and are so different. None come to mind.

      Delete
  11. I stayed up past midnight, but not to go out and see fireworks, I was watching an old TV series and just didn't feel sleepy. I saw some of the fireworks from around the world on the TV news last night. I haven't made tuna mornay in years, maybe this year I will and stock the freezer along with the usual spaghetti sauces and beef casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight will be a slow cooker casserole with again enough being made for another meal. I've become rather blasé about fireworks, having seen so many since we moved here.

      Delete
  12. A good time away I guess, it's always good to get away from everyday things in ones home.
    Sympathy cards I always have a few at home here just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Margaret although I find it takes a bit longer than a week to really appreciate home once you return. We would need a few sympathy cards to suit various people.

      Delete
  13. I make a resolution to immediately change my behavior when it reaches critical mass, i.e., starts wreaking havoc on me, rather than wait for January 1.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, time will tell what fun 2024 brings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not grammatically or socially correct, but "American" does seem to usually mean a US citizen. I've never heard it used for people from Canada or Brazil or any other country in the Americas, even though they are all American in the continental sense. I guess the problem is there really isn't another word for US citizens. Statesians? US-ers? Yanks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, it is a cumbersome name, as was the Soviet Union, which at least could at times correctly be called Russia.

      Delete
  16. American refers to us and I think I can understand any Candian hastening to correct you should you call them American.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I've heard backpackers from the US having a maple leaf on their backpack to prevent automatic judgements being made. True? Maybe.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...