Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Queenscliff 1

We left home at 11 on Christmas Eve to drive one and a half hours to the comfy cottage we had rented where we have stayed before. We took a break for brunch along the way, maybe 25 minutes, so that makes the trip two hours but we didn't arrive until 1.30. Time is a curious thing.

We were half an hour early, but no problem to check in. The cottage is old and modest but so well equipped and spotlessly clean. It is such a comfortable place to stay, with milk in the 'fridge, a loaf of bread and plentiful tea and coffee, along with breakfast cereals. 

There is the owner's house at the front of the block, a small cottage at one side and where we stay in the two bedroom cottage at the very rear of the large block. The owners' have lived there for 30 plus years and know local history well. Our cottage was built in the very early 1900s, extended by the present owners who demolished a crayfish cleaning shed to make space. The street was once full of fishermen. It is a minute's walk to the railway (tourist now) station and about ten minutes to the wharves where the fishermen wold set sail to catch fish.

The two cottages were built as tourist accommodation for holiday makers who initially arrived by steamer ferry from Melbourne, and then later by train, I guess change trains at Geelong. 

Sister lives about ten minutes drive away and she had invited us for drinks and nibbles in the late afternoon. I called her and she said she will do a barbeque for dinner, and very nice it all was. We were back to the cottage quite early and just chilled.

Through the bathroom to the laundry and toilet. 


Really Sister, your attention seeking behaviour can go too far, but we were amused.


From the dining table looking at the kitchen.


Looking towards R's bedroom with a double bed. Mine had two singles. 


It was cool enough to turn on the heating air con but it shut down once we worked out how to light this gas fire.


I don't know if this will interest you but this an Australian designed outdoor clothes line. It was exported all over the world and it was very good at drying clothes, and there was so much space to hang your garments. Most were known as a Hills Hoist. 


After hanging the clothes you would wind the clothes higher to catch more wind. Some had a mains water connection, so water pressure would raise the shaft. The top would spin around, depending on the wind. 


If a storm was approaching, best to lower the line to its notched base. 

31 comments:

  1. I remember the Hills Hoist well Indeed this house had one when we first moved in.
    Your accommodation looks very comfortable and I too smiled at Sister's attention seeking behaviour. She had my attention and I suspect many others.l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the best clothes line EC but rarely seen today and certainly not in new houses with little land. I can imagine some reactions by other drivers and children to the trapped elf.

      Delete
  2. The cottage looks quite nice. I have never heard of such a clothes dryer before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, the clothes line was exported overseas but I guess not to your country. When wound up higher, clothes would dry very quickly. On very hot windy days if you hung out a lot of washing you could almost bring what you first hung out straight back inside as it would be dry.

      Delete
  3. I like the image of the shoes warming in front of the fire. Very cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shoes JayCee. It was just where I took them off. They would have been cold when I next wore them the following morning.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely spot to stay. Sounds like you had a great time.
    Fascinating clothes line.
    Happy New Year, Andrew.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very pleasant and fairly relaxed Sandra.

      Delete
  5. Nice to go to a 'home from home'. I like your sister's sense of humour:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, you are right. While our place is more modern, the house was so comfortable. Tradie Brother is the real comic in the family.

      Delete
  6. I started asking: are you taking the piss about the mains water connection? Then I googled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, I must have a reputation for doubtful information. I don't know about Sydney, but Melbourne also had water pressure powered lifts. Tomorrow's post may interest you, if I get it written.

      Delete
  7. Such a genuine photos about the place. I tend to avoid driving across west gate bridge unless necessary. I got a similar cloths line rack in my Bendigo home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, the Westgate Bridge is not pleasant drive at all. The traffic does thin out by Werribee and it isn't so bad from there on.

      Delete
  8. Queenscliff is lovely.
    Mr Hill invented the Hills Hoist in WW2, Australia's greatest gift to the world. Before that, we had to hang the wet clothes on two parallel wires that didn't move around in the breeze and couldn't be raised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, there was often a clothes prop for the wire lines as you describe to lift them up. During the depression men would go door to door selling clothes props.

      Delete
  9. I have never seen that kind of clothesline before, especially using water pressure to raise it or spin it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to raise it Bob. As long as the cogs were adequately greased, it could spin quite fast just by the wind.

      Delete
  10. We have a Hills hoist in the rental. It really is the best line for drying but sadly backyards these days are too small and fancy home owners don't want to have them as a feature. Kids used to love spinning around on them.
    Queenscliff is a lovely spot. I always enjoy reading about your holidays there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pity they are out favour Merlot. 'Get off the clothes line', was something I heard often enough as a kid as we whirled around.

      Delete
  11. The cottage looks lovely, it's nice that you can go back there for holidays. We have two Hills Hoists in the back of the "L" formed by our flats, but I rarely use them. The bigger one is too close to the rubbish bins and the smaller one can't be seen from my back door. I only use the bigger one now when I hang out bed sheets and quilt covers and I turn the line so they don't blow onto the filthy bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes they were so good for drying sheets and the like. Do you use a clothes rack indoor for most things as we do?

      Delete
    2. Clothes rack and a dryer, the power bill gets enormous because I just don't have the space to leave clothes on the rack until fully dry in winter.

      Delete
  12. We have gadgets like that, but not quite so heavy duty. When we get back to the woods, I want an outdoor clothesline again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like clothes dried in fresh air Debby, or so it is said. I can't tell the difference.

      Delete
  13. PS: if that elf in the back of your sister's car was one of those blasted 'elf on the shelf' things, she was well within her rights to stuff him in the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon so too Debby. No elf sympathy from me.

      Delete
  14. It's not going to make me switch over from a clothes dryer, but I love the funkiness of that clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so practical Kirk. Your weather dictates the best way to dry clothes.

      Delete
  15. Love my clothesline, only fault is it takes up so much room in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, they do and we rid ourselves of one in 80s to have more back yard space. They do dry clothes so well though.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...