Sunday, April 9, 2023

Sunday Selections

I am joining with Elephants Child and River for Sunday Selections with a few random photos. 

Note not the balloons in the air but the deflating balloons in Fawkner Park.


A strange sliver of reflected sunlight.


Lime bikes looked after by a social enterprise group.


I can't recall where this station was, and while it is a quiet and minor station with adequate modern facilities, I like that the wonky old station has been kept. I had badly planned train times and had a while before my return train. There was a pub nearby where I had a large and cooling g&t. 


South Melbourne, I think.


How long can an abandoned car be left at the short term Melbourne Airport parking? Taking up a useable space, quite a long time it seems.


A Lego Melbourne W class tram, somewhat shortened but rather well done.


These look like cut outs on rubbish bins but they are just black paint. No matter. They look great.


A solitary balloon but note one has landed in Fawkner Park.


A triplet of landed balloons, ready to deflate. Balloon guests may assist with the rolling up of the deflated balloons and then be taken for a champagne sparkling wine breakfast at a posh venue. By this time, they probably just want to go home and sleep as they have been up since 4am. 

There was slogan on tv for Winfield cigarettes as I am reminded by this Fitzroy sign. Anyhow, have a Winfield.

Anyhow, have a nice Sunday. 

28 comments:

  1. Thank you. Speaking for myself the excitement of a balloon flight lasts more than long enough for a sparkling breakfast. By mid morning (before the time himself usually gets up) I am ready for a nap.
    Love the wonky old station and the painted bin and the lego too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. R is up for four hours and he is ready for his nap, but a good bit later in the day than yours.

      Delete
  2. Dig the south Melbourne rustic wall look. The abandoned car collecting dust in long term parking of airport is a real thing. Great collection of photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Roentare, I had another look at that photo and I think I took it a lane off Gertrude Street, Fitzroy.

      Delete
  3. How do you never return for a car. So strange. I have questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, maybe the parking charges will be more than the value of the car. Late for a flight? Dump the car in the short term carpark close to the airport door and never go back for it.

      Delete
  4. A hot air balloon ride is on my bucket list but I don't do early mornings terribly well! The sparkling breakfast, though, is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to get up at that hour for work sometimes Caro. I never liked it but I could do it.

      Delete
  5. Anyhow hove a Winfield, that was Paul Hogan. We used to love his TV show.
    That wonky little station house looks very much like a house I used to live in, (I think I was twelve), all it needs is a front door where that paler section is and a tiny front porch about three feet wide and the length of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a cute little house River. It is sealed up now.

      Delete
  6. The Melbourne W class tram looks great, even in Lego. If I was to live overseas forever and wanted a special memory of home, I would take your Lego and put it on top of the tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the tram is good. I should have gone up to look closer. That's a novel way to remember home.

      Delete
  7. Interesting selection of photographs. The abandoned car is a mystery. Is there a body in the boot?
    Lego modellers are so clever - I love the tram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jabblog, I expect the car has been checked over but why has it been left there for so long by the airport authority.

      Delete
  8. Not sure I would like to go up on a hot air balloon...I find it a bit scary. The lego tram is very cute. Hope you are having a nice Easter long weekend Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami, I never found it scary but my imagining of a gentle bump as the balloon gracefully settled on the ground was way off the mark. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. A hot air balloon ride is still on my bucket list. I tried twice in Florida in 2019 and the weather was too windy to fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had two cancelled flights before we went up TP. Patience.

      Delete
  10. That fist photo of the clouds and the skyline looks absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How odd that you can remember that you went to a hotel and had a G&T but cannot remember which station you were stranded at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, clearly one thing matters more than the other. I have remembered now, without checking. It was Robinvale.

      Delete
  12. I love the wonky old station. It even has a chimney (and hence, I assume, a fireplace). That abandoned car has been there a while! Looks like someone removed the plates, so it really IS abandoned. I see a Covid mask on the dashboard, so maybe it's been there since the height of the pandemic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, all old stations had fireplaces. Some were open and some enclosed. The local dogs used to love the open waiting rooms with a fire burning away.

      Delete
  13. What great photos! And I'm with Strayer about the wonky look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darla, as long as it stays standing, it looks good.

    ReplyDelete

It should have been a non posting day

Do I need to explain what is obvious to me? Staffers monitor Metro movements at the Tallawong control centre .  Why doesn't the control ...