Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Natecha

Before I get into it, I had to laugh when I heard the radio news this morning. Prince Spare and Ms Sparkle have been invited to the King's Coronation...by email from The Palace. 

It is a good year for crickets, it seems. Above the traffic white noise I can hear them chirping away. Even after 22 years here nature continues to surprise me, living 60 metres above ground level. We have a cricket on our balcony. It is somewhere in behind the air con unit and chirps away to nothing. It does not have any friend up here and I can't imagine what it eats. It has been here for three days. Crickets must be able to fly, otherwise how would it get up here?

Maybe it was the killer hot year here of 2009 when we had terrible fires. Whatever year it was, down below there was a huge hatching of Monarch butterflies,with one flying up past every five or so minutes for a whole day.

The last couple of days here have been warm and there has been a reasonable hatching of Monarch butterflies, say one every 30 minutes. 

I've looked around down below and I can't see a milkweed plant that they need to breed, but there must be some. They are programmed to fly north to warmer climes, so they fly up the side of our building past us to go over the top of the building. They don't have common sense to fly around the front of the building at ground level to then travel north. 

Nature is all very interesting and to repeat, who would have thought we would be more connected to nature than when we lived in houses, with only snails, worms, slaters, thrip and an occasional Indian Myna and Blackbird visiting. Ah, and possums. Not seen here...yet.

25 comments:

  1. The only time I notice these tiny creatures is when I am looking for macro shots lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week we had some unseasonably mild weather here and one morning I came downstairs to find a large housefly batting itself against a window. I have no idea how it got there as none of the ground floor windows open nor have gaps around the edges. It must have hatched from somewhere. Given that we live on an old graveyard site, that is slightly disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, they have have ways and means of infiltrating. I wouldn't worry about the grave site. Flies are probably breeding in your foodstuff.

      Delete
  3. I am trying to imagine those monarchs. It must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I though it was very amazing when I first saw it happen. It is so brief though.

      Delete
  4. We had the bloody cockatoos yesterday attacking the cyprus trees. I think the mynahs were objecting. The racket was appalling. Give me a solitary cricket any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, I think mynahs might win in the psyche battle against cockies. Cockatoos are so destructive.

      Delete
  5. Ah, the royals and the royal dramas. I thought Henry and Megan gave up their titles. So why are they still being referred to as if they didn't. Or didn't they? Oh wait, who cares. I wish they'd all shut up about themselves for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops its Harry. Ah whatever. Prince Spare.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, Henry or Harry, as you say who cares.

      Delete
  6. Oooh! Milkweed. I should get one. I haven't seen a butterfly since covid began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, for some reason they do seem to be scarce in city areas.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like the title of a horror film - "The Possums Are Coming". As for Prince Barry and his coach, they are probably thinking this about the coronation of King Charles III: "Great! I wonder if we can get a book out of it? About how we were spurned and how some members of the royal family refused to speak to us and how we were booed by the crowds. Got to keep the money rolling in somehow!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, ringtail possums are cute and friendly. Bush tail possums are not, so base the horror story on Bush tails. Lol at Prince Billy loosing Frogmore Cottage by order of the King the day after the tell all went to air.

      Delete
  8. For a moment, I thought crickets was what the palace was hearing in response.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing that you get wildlife up that high. I guess butterflies are programmed to fly over cliffs -- they must be surprised when they fly over your building and the ground drops away again and they find themselves so high in midair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, that is a point about cliffs or anything tall really. Can a butterfly be surprised?

      Delete










  10. Besides squirrels, foxes, and cats nothing else crosses the garden beneath. The birds are in the trees and fortunately we don't have a cricket ! they are so noisy. Anyway Rosie is a brave cat she eats all insects she can find ! I think Mr Spare and Mrs Sparkle won't go to the coronation, because they don't have a house there anymore. Charles has thrown them out of Frogmore. So they must pay all by themselves, security, hotel, (maybe some generous soul will give them a room in Kensington Palace) On top Archie son has his birthday ! What a fairy tale ! Snow White is just a cook book compared to it.










    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we don't hear anyone saying anything positive about them, in fact the opposite.

      Delete
  11. Monarchs are so beautiful. I was thrilled when a few caterpillars appeared on my milkweed last summer. Perhaps they fly up the side of our building for a better updraft. It's just a thought I had. Heh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possible Darla. I expect yours would head south, so if they are on the northern side of your house, I would guess that is what they would do.

      Delete
  12. I hope another cricket will fly up to keep your cricket company, otherwise it's a sad life. (Can crickets feel sad??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice Jabblog. I hear not company or even the original cricket this evening. How long is the lifespan of a cricket?

      Delete

Unexpectedly bereft

The most wonderful person I've ever known has suddenly died, Thursday night Australian time. He was kind, generous with a great outgoing...