Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Over or under?

Throughout Greater Melbourne a level crossing removal programme has been underway, where trains meet motor traffic and trams. The separation between road and train is very expensive but will only become more expensive if left. It would have been cheaper to do this a couple of decades ago. Both material and labour costs are so high at the moment, but the programme presses on.

A cynic might suggest that trains are dropped into a trench in very politically sensitive Labor marginal seats and overhead trains are for everywhere else. 

I see the overhead trains known as Skyrail somewhat of a visual blight but a lot of thought has put into what sits under Skyrails and the result with public facilities and cycle paths has been quite good. And Skyrail has nothing on the blight of elevated motor car freeways. 

Some level crossings delay so few cars and are deemed quite safe so won't be changed and I agree with this.

I visited the Skyrail on the Upfield line before it was completed it was shaping up well enough. A few weeks ago I visited Coburg Station and honestly what I saw I thought was terrific and I think quite typical of what has been done elsewhere. Here are a few photos. I did not really have a blog post focus when I visited and I wish I had taken more photos. There was a nice grassed area with some bench seating but the seating was unshaded. There were also seats in the shade of the overhead railway, along with a very busy bike path. It is a nice space.


The original station building was kept and restored. I don't know if it is used for anything now.


A bench seat outside, a ticket machine and ticket validator machines as you enter. There are stairs, I think a staffed ticket office and lifts to the two platforms above. Functional and pleasant to use. 

The only problem with the station is the train service. I had just missed a train and it was a twenty minute wait until the next one. When the under construction Metro tunnel opens in 2025, there will be a massive timetable change for all Melbourne trains and hopefully we will see an improved service for the Upfield train line. 

25 comments:

  1. To get rid off railway crossing is always a good idea. Just a big job paralysing the traffic if it takes too long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, the disruption during reconstruction must be quite unavoidable, and how nice once projects are completed.

      Delete
  2. It is a wonderful idea. Inconceivable here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, road/rail crossings are a problem for you when driving?

      Delete
  3. The new shebang at Carrum is amazing. The difference in traffic flow around the Carnegie/Murrumbeena area is mindblowing. I remember waiting half an hour to get through the crossing on Murrumbeena Rd trying to get the kids to school. It didn't matter what time we left home, we were often late. But then so were many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, Sister has a flat in Murrumbeena where she used to live and we visited often, so we knew the Murrumbeena crossing nightmare quite well

      Delete
  4. A twenty minute wait is pretty standard, feeder lines need to wait their turn to connect to the station line. We have a tram overpass over South Road, and a train overpass at Port Adelaide, but I think all the others are road vehicle overpasses. I think it is easier and cheaper to build the road overpasses since they don't need to have rails installed. I don't care much what they look like as long as they are functional and don't collapse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I remember the northern bound train we used in Adelaide last year was a twenty minute service. I could not really see that a more frequent service was warranted and the timetable times were clock face, if you understand what that means. It is your Glenelg tram that needs serious service improvement.

      Delete
  5. Gee for me a twenty minute wait seems like nothing. We only have mini bus that runs on Wednesday and Friday.
    But I wonder if Australia sometime like America "penny wise dollar foolish"
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, I think all around the world countries can be penny wise and pound foolish. Australia is not an exception.

      Delete
  6. Come out east Andrew and look at the concrete monstrosities they’ve put ‘over the roads’ in Mooroolbark and Lilydale….plus the gigantic concrete multi story car parks they’ve put in beside the stations. Certainly not pleasant to look at at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, can I see them from the train? I will take a look at what you say. As you describe does not sound good.

      Delete
  7. That's quite a contrast between the original station building and what's next door.

    Trains, trams, and autos. Lots of transportation choices where you live. Where I am it's pretty much just autos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spite of local complaints Kirk, large US cities do very well with public transport. It is sad that some large cities got rid of good rail public transport. I have no idea where you live?

      Delete
    2. Well, I live in the Cleveland suburbs rather than Cleveland itself. In the suburbs you need a car, but not necessarily in the city.

      Delete
    3. Ok, lakeside. A bit like Detroit but nicer?

      Delete
  8. Progress isn't always pretty, far from it in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jabblog, while I don't know the detail, it seems the HS2 project is somewhat controversial in many ways. Perhaps not pretty. The new Elizabeth train line seems rather pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Metrorail trains in the DC area either when under or over by design, passenger trains within probably 20 miles of the City are under or over traffic - mostly a safety issue. There are local commuter lines that run South to Fredericksburg, and north to Baltimore, every few months one of them has a pedestrian step in front of a train, and every few years they hit a car at a crossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, yes I remember your unfortunate experience when you were returning home from New York. I think such incidents are normally suicide attempts, usually effective.

      Delete
  11. When I read "restored" I purr like a cat ! Our beautiful very old station from 1800 something, was completely destroyed and they have put a modern hut there, without any employees and far away from where you can enter the train. It's disgusting. And all this they have done to make space for a high speed train, which should have been finished 3 years ago, but still isn't, because suddenly the Flemish government doesn't want the high speed train anymore ! Now start 100 year long negotiations ! I have absolutely take pictures from the new station which looks like a garage for a bus !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that is not how I like to think of European public transport. What has happened to your station makes me very sad.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad there are some nice amenities with these renovations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, there were many protests about the overhead railway so a lot extra had to be added to 'sell' the project to the public.

      Delete

Queen Victoria Gardens

As I said on my rather odd Sunday Selections post featuring a train bed, "This Sunday not so random but photos I took last winter as I ...