Sunday, November 27, 2022

Geelong 2/2

Up above the caravan park were some buildings. You can see an old chimney peaking above a modern building on stilts. The old mansion's views were built out. There is also a huge home dominating the hillside. How the rich live...

I see and older place to left. 


These same looking houses above the park fascinated me and of I course I had to look them up. They are old enough to have chimneys. They are the Alexander Miller Memorial Homes, paired buildings with each containing two one bedroom flats. They are owned by a private charity housing trust under State Government supervision. You can read more about them here


A permanent cabin within the park with a colourful garden.


So, what shall we do on this Sunday before meeting up with family? We will go to all three lookouts in Geelong and have brunch somewhere. This his is the Newtown lookout.


There is the Barwon River in the beautiful Queens Park. 


Zooming in, you can see how flooded the river is.


Hungry and need proper coffee! We went to the Old Paper Mill on the edge of the river for a sandwich and coffee. There are artist workshops within the old buildings. We perused what was on offer at the main gallery. We couldn't see much of the what was at the whole site. You really need to take the walking tour around the complex to learn its history, as a large group were.


We drove for about 15 minutes to visit another lookout to see Buckley Falls. I don't think the Barwon River normally looks like this. It is in flood.


Goodness, there is the Old Paper Mill across the river. So near but so far by road. 


Don't trust me, but earlier I said to R about the Old Paper Mill, paper mills need water, so it will be near the river and so it was. I did read that there was a water race at the Old Paper Mill, so I will speculate that Buckley Falls is a constructed weir to dam up water for the paper mill water race. 


Downstream from the falls, the river is flowing high.


We are now at the Wandana Heights Lookout.


 
The fly swatting lighting at the football ground Kardinia Park and the city centre are just visible.


Back to cabin for some down time before meeting Sister, Hippie Niece, her partner and the five year old latte coloured twins for and early dinner a place called The Hot Chicken Project, or something like that. The owner was very nice and it is a good place to take children.


We had some time to kill before seeing Jo on stage so we walked the streets a bit. Jo was fantastic on stage and the one hour show was entertaining. The twins were fidgety but engrossed in the show. Afterwards we crossed the road to a gelati shop.  

Next morning we drove further down the peninsula to see Fire Fighting Nephew, his wife and their two year old daughter and 6 month old twin boys. Hippie Niece, her partner and their twins arrived soon after us. It was lovely catch up. Between their apartment and the beach, there is a huge international volley ball competition about to start. Apparently there will be millions of viewers around the world but not so many in Australia. We arrived back home around 2pm and collapsed.

25 comments:

  1. We like going to look outs too - and you have reminded me it is time we revisited some of our own.
    What a lovely and very social time you had. I am glad that Jo was fantastic on stage - and unsurprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you have the prime lookout in your city. Is it where the observatory is located or something Telstra related. Yes, Jo never surprises us with her talents. She had a professional gig as the lead singer of a band at The Piano Bar in Geelong. She can play the flute well enough and can play guitar at a low level.

      Delete
  2. The water looks so turbulent now. I was there yesterday for an old gaol visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I did not know about the old gaol. I will add that to a future list.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear Jo's show was a hit and that you were able to see it. Lots of good scenery although that water looks high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the thing with Geelong is that building on flood plains has not happened, unlike elsewhere. So houses are generally safe from inundation.

      Delete
  4. I have never considered Geelong a holiday destination. We have a niece in Ocean Grove so there is no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, once you start looking, there is quite a bit to see in our second largest city. Will you tell your niece that are coming to stay for a few nights?

      Delete
  5. That was a busy day. No wonder you were tired by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything social tires me easily Diane. I always tell myself I will be a long dead and enjoy what is on offer.

      Delete
  6. I love your devotion to the children in your life. I'm sure that it meant a great deal to Jo to have you travel all that way just to see her. We have a papermill nearby as well. It is also near a river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, for ten years plus I think, I have given Jo an advent calendar and I wondered this year at what age should I stop. I decided not at 15, so I gave her the calendar filled with a chocolate for each day. A couple of times I have bought them from Germany put the postage costs more than the calendar. There is a local supplier of German calendars but Ieft it too late.

      Delete
  7. Well done to Jo, a real trouper. Twins meeting twins, thta would be something to see. I trust they are all well?
    I don't think there are many rivers over your way that aren't flooded now. Our section of the River Murray finally has enough water and too much in a lot of areas. Holiday shacks are being flooded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes all thriving. It has been amazing at how slowly the flooding Murray waters move. Fire Fighting Nephew is in the north west of the state for a week assisting with flood relief.

      Delete
  8. A busy time you had and a good one it seems. Photos are good to see as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. We do have lots of quiet times, like this forthcoming week.

      Delete
  9. I would have collapsed too. I did yesterday, after the long driving the day before. With the river so swollen, is Geelong area getting lots of late rain then? We got rain all spring this last year clear up til first week in July. They said it was because La Nina which is here again this winter. Do you get the affects there also of La Nina, causing the spring rains to be heavy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have said Strayer, I admire you for the distances you drive. The rain is mostly in the river head lands and just flows down. Yes, La Nina is having a huge effect here, and this is the second year of La Nina. I should be complaining about hot weather, but I am not yet.

      Delete
  10. Perfect! I have not heard of the Alexander Miller Memorial Homes, but a one bedroom flat on stilts, overlooking stunning gardens, sounds perfect. If you could arrange a sea view, even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, no sea views but great flooded river views.

      Delete
  11. Lots going on. Yes paper making takes a lot of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, and think the waste water from paper making was very contaminated when released back into waterways.

      Delete
  12. I like those Alexander Miller houses. They look about the right size for me. Spectacular views from the lookouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, something about them certainly sparked my interest.

      Delete

Hair cut memories

A few days ago we walked down Russell Street in town from Lonsdale Street to Little Bourke Street and as we did, a memory kicked in. R, one ...