Thursday, October 8, 2026

Politics and our Kylie Minogue

It is interesting to observe former politicians, especially but not only the conservative ones, who suddenly become reasonable once retired. Former Australian conservative politician Joe Hockey seems to be such a person. From his ridiculous rants while on the floors of the parliament and once retired, he went on to be appointed Australian ambassador to the United States, 2016 to 2020. His speaking on tonight's tv seemed quite honest with his views of US politics, and the corruption within.


It isn't a good idea for bloggers to mix up subjects, but here you go with snaps of the tv screen when Kylie Minogue performed ahead of the Australian Rules Football Grand Final. 

















She put on a fabulous twenty minute spectacular, and the 100,000 crowd loved her. 

29 comments:

  1. Ah, young Kylie. The beautiful, vivacious face of Australia.
    Everyone loves her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do here JayCee. The crowd adulation was amazing.

      Delete
  2. It's always amazed me that she isn't more popular here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, Australians seem to succeed in either Britain and Europe or in North America. Curious but not something I've really thought about.

      Delete
  3. I love Kylie and she knows how to put on a great show. But she has a rather ordinary singing voice, I think Dannii has a better voice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, I am lousy at judging singing voices, so I'll take your comment as a strong indication.

      Delete
  4. That stage show looks crazy! lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, colour and movement, and it was a great spectacle.

      Delete
  5. Apparently Joe Hockey was named after Joseph Chifley, the post-war prime minister whose immigration policies allowed his father to enter Australia. So although even politicians are expected to mature with age and to start thinking with their brains, Joe Hockey had extra encouragement to mature with age - thinking parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting to know of his background Hels. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Dora, I am not surprised. Kylie is very important here and in England.

      Delete
  7. I didn't watch any of the Kylie spectacular, but a bit was shown on the news. I don't know much about Joe Hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I took the photos from the tv news clips. I watched the performance with full attention.

      Delete
  8. Did you watch the footy, or just kylie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just by asking that question, you already know the answer. Who won again?

      Delete
  9. Maybe less constraints on Joe after retirement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, that does happen with some politicians.

      Delete
  10. So - did Joe Hockey have an affair with Kylie Minogue? Why wasn't he up there on stage - dancing with her in a sequined thong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you ask such a thing??

      Delete
    2. YP. She has good taste in men, even if they don't last too long.

      Delete
  11. I watched Kylie and she did a great job but I'm not a fan of hers at all, Andrew. To me there is nothing special about her voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, she is a great performer, and you are the second person to be critical of her voice, so I guess she isn't a great singer.

      Delete
  12. Do you think Kylie was lip-synching? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I saw her once in concert in New York and loved it!

    I'm sure conservative politicians who live in fear of their constituents feel free to be their true selves once they leave office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's basically left the country to chase consultant $$$ in the US on the back of a stint as Australian ambassador (political appointment now monetized). I don't see this as an outburst of frankness, just repositioning. Because he's a bit roly-poly he's always cultivated an amiable public manner but if you watch the interview you can see he is still flogging his old leaners v lifters line. Presumably fancies himself as a lifter. To me grifter a more apposite term. Of course he says he's never been corrupt himself or ever been asked to do anything corrupt himself.

      Delete
    2. Steve, it was part lip syncing. Recorded voice is mixed in, as I understand it. It's like AI in that you no longer know what is real and what isn't. But hey, it worked.

      Yes, some politicians, more likely conservative varieties, so speak out.

      Delete
    3. That's right MC, he was the 'leaner or lifter'. Rather bad really. I don't like being fair to conservative politicians, but I've never heard of any accusation against.

      Delete
  13. I think that each is much the same as you and I Andrew - Aussie, flawed but still aware of putting out best features to the fore

    ReplyDelete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

Not Cat Photos

Click here to see some great animal photos at The Guardian .