My first experience of the musical instrument called theremin was at Melbourne's Southbank, where there was a huge operational theremin, a few metres squared and perhaps a metre tall. It operated by moving around the instrument. I think I only photographed it at the time and I did blog about it sometime in the 2000s.
I brought it up again in the twenty teen years (help me express those years better) and below this video you can read the comments at the time. I remember first hearing the term 'pensioner porn' from a blogger, but who knows which one. The term refers to tv perennial tv programmes like Doc Martin and Midsomer Murders, avidly watched by many older people.
I find the instrument quite fascinating.
Wow, so many former bloggers commented, and some current ones. A different MC commented back then.
You learn something new everyday from blogging. Midsomer Murder is Bill's favourite show and Gattina another blogger.
ReplyTheremins are fascinating instruments. I have one in kit form, just waiting for me to pick up a soldering iron (yuck) and put it together.
Reply"Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys is another good example of a theremin used well.
Diane, some knowledge you can sprout as the opening credits roll on Sunday night. I like the show especially for the scenery and the buildings.
ReplyAnd then Smudgeon, you have to learn to play it. I am surprised that I had not heard of it. I just listened to the BB track and I can hear it clearly.
Oh, I've seen these before - somewhere. Simply lovely.
ReplyI too had never heard of the Theramin, as the first electric music machine ever made or as an instrument making sound tracks for horror movies. But it was and is totally brilliant.
ReplyHow old is the film footage, by the way? I loved hearing the Russian...it tapped right into my family's collective unconscious :)
Rubye, note that any pretender who like to conduct an orchestra would have great fun.
ReplyHels, Theramin invented it in the late twenties, so I imagine the film is not much newer than that. It is a cool and weird instrument.
Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory has a Theramin, that's where I first heard of them. it's an interesting sound.
ReplyI have never heard of one either! If you close your eyes, the sound is very close to a wavery soprano. What a great little machine.
ReplyRiver, good that it is in popular culture.
ReplyBliss, it is something I would like to play with. It is very high pitched isn't it.
Wow - thannks for that - you learn something new every day of the week some weeks...now How can I slip that into my conversation? Maybe wait till i hear one in a theme track and say, "Isnt it amazing what a well played Theramin" can do"
ReplyYou are a fount (or is it font) of knowledge
MC, I just heard a tiny bit about it and forgot the name. The rest I found on the net.
Reply