Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Senior Moments

Ray's sister gave us a money box, which if you had an incident of a senior forgetfulness, you were required to put a coin in the money box.

For some years, from the beginning of Covid, I never paid cash anywhere. Now at times I do, and I get change back, with coins going into the Senior Moment money box. Today I emptied it into the device at the bank and it slowly counted the coins, rejecting one foreign coin, and the total was $30. Amazing how it mounts up.  

Senior Moment fell out of fashion for 'brain fog'. 

Call it either, I have no idea where I was going with this post below. I really should have pasted in the FB link, and I would have remembered. But wait, I did put the link in that takes you to Huffington Post but to nothing specific. Oh well. Tough tittie. My words of wisdom will not be written. 

A horrible irony: The Internet was a boon to introverts, who have found a social life they never had and "met" countless people on Facebook, etc., and who are very comfortable in correspondence, such as in interviews like this,

40 comments:

  1. I, myself, am not subject to senior moments. I'd write more, but unfortunately I am on my way out the door having forgotten that I needed bread at the store, being sidetracked by a BOGO on cottage cheese, which required the purchase of peaches, which caused me to walk by the cutest terracotta garlic roaster, which necessitated the purchase of garlic, but I remembered the peaches and congratulated myself for sharp memory, because some people our age are losing it, poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have moments, and i don't give them a name lest I forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did introverts really find a social life they never had, on the internet? It is nice opening up Facebook etc in the morning to see who has dropped you a line, but if you never knew the correspondents' real name and face, or forgot them, it is not much of a social life.
    I am finding I remember my old friends' single names, but totally forget their married names *pathetic*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is friendship without the awkward meeting and talking part.

      Delete
    2. Hels, I am not saying that they never had a social life, but the internet has brought new kinds of quite satisfying relationships.

      Delete
  4. Did a senior moment include when you had forgotten to zip up your flyhole after a wee-wee? No wonder you had thirty bucks in the money box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at the bank myself with a bag of coins, $88.30, it does add up quickly when you know the local supermarket frowns upon people who wish to pay with $10 in coins so you leave them home and use notes or cards. I had one checker once tell me I should have gone to the bank, but that's a bus ride to the city for me as all suburban banks have been closed. So I wait until the coins build up to an amount worth taking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, $10 in $2 or $1 coins might be ok, but paying $10 with silver is a bit much, in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. Silver is what I had, a mix of 50cent and 20cent pieces. The girl checker wasn't happy about counting it.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't remember to put the money in the money jar for my senior moments:)
    My husband used to use cash all the time before Covid and he put all of his change in a jar. I would take it, count it, and roll it up and it was my mad money to do with as I pleased. It was also usually $200 or $300 at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, that is a good point about remembering about your change. Encourage your husband to continue his current habit.

      Delete
  7. I saved all the gold coins into a treasure container. That gathered fortune for Feng Shui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you were blessed by Feng Shui, Roentare.

      Delete
  8. Good way of saving money Andrew as any excuse is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spare change adds up, for sure! I seldom use cash anymore so we get very little of it here. I do think the Internet has boosted a lot of people's social lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, without a doubt social lives have been boosted.

      Delete
  10. Change soon mounts up. I rarely use cash these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, here I was thinking all these old people on my blog would be cash users. It seems not.

      Delete
  11. I have only drawn cash out of the ATM three times this year, and one of those was in Euros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get too many Euros for our money, TP.

      Delete
  12. Nice thing about the suitcase, not a bad idea :))
    I also use FB and IS and I'm happy with it, I use it more because I like nice pictures than for socializing :)) TIK TOK I use for music, I always find something for my soul and then share it with others.
    Greetings from me from my country Slovenia, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep a change jar and sometimes its been up to as high as $85, when I take it to the bank to the change machine. I pick up stray coins on the street too, to add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question is Strayer, is it worth bending down to pick up a nickel?

      Delete
  14. I use cash all of the time so always have a load of change in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I kept a money box for senior moments, I'd be rich:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I very rarely use cash, I just find using a card so much easier, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so Amy. I wish I didn't have to deal with cash at all.

      Delete
  17. I'm sure I spend far more using a card all the time rather than using cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that recently M. You are less conscious of what you spending, but if you were more conscious, would you have not spent the money?

      Delete
  18. As cashiers are replaced at supermarkets and liquor shops run by them, you can increasingly tip your change into a machine which will count it all without reproaching you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, I didn't think of using the Woolworths machines, but the cashier will still have to stay there until your transaction is complete. I don't know how long it takes those machines to sort varieties of coins.

      Delete
  19. Just what WAS that interview? I don't see it in the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The underlined word Facebook, but it only takes you to a search of the Huff Post for Facebook.

      Delete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

West Timor

I have my reasons for checking out West Timor as a friend is there doing good works, that is volunteering.  In the 1980s I was an activist f...