Now housing a number of a bars, this fine 1899 Albert Park building was once called Red Eagle Hotel, earlier Windsor Hotel. A stroll of a couple of hundred metres and you are at the beach, and there are many cafes and restaurants nearby. If you want to have a decent drink at a bar, the number 1 tram passes by.
My father banked with the E.S.&A Bank. English, Scottish and Australian bank, I think. It went on to become the ANZ Bank, Australia and New Zealand. I'd never noticed this sign remnant until recently. Below it says, The E. S. & A Bank Ltd Administrative Offices.
The tv programme The Block took on this building some years ago and the show's participants renovated the building, including the installation of a hanging vertical garden, which died soon after the show ended.
The garden was resurrected and has been kept looking healthy for a few years now.
As I returned from a visiting the zoo by the 58 tram, I noticed this old building in a rather prominent place. How much longer can it last before its demolition and another shiny tower is built on the site.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
I always enjoy seeing buildings in different parts of the world. Thank you for sharing these lovely photos, Andrew.
ReplyDeleteI agree! Architecture has always fascinated me.
DeleteI love the one with the hanging gardens.
ReplyDeleteBob, I couldn't think of the correct word for the garden, but I did remember and changed hanging to vertical. Of course my mind went to Hanging Gardens of Babylon, then Boney M's Rivers of Babylon. I wish my brain could stay more focused.
DeleteThat last building looks like a "Hole in the Wall Speak-easy" type and I hope someone does something better with it than tear it down and replace it with a shiny tower.
ReplyDeleteRiver, are you suggesting I do research? Oh, the pain.
DeleteYou can't fool me Andrew, I know you love research.
DeleteI wonder how that old building escaped what is probably an inevitable fate for so long? It looks boarded up. Is it vacant?
ReplyDeleteDebby, see the comment by Travel below.
DeleteI often see that last house from the tram. It does seem like a fish out of water these days. Bunyip
ReplyDeleteIndo Bunyip, I may do some research. I am a little curious now.
DeleteChybí mi lepší budovy na tvé stránce překladače :((
ReplyDeletePřeji ti hezký den!
Thank you Modrina.
DeleteThe first building is gorgeous, right up my alley Andrew. I don't care for the so called garden hanging but glad the plants are still alive. It looks untidy to me, but yet beautiful to others. The corner place, well it tells it's age and when it was built by it's look and what it was built of. Wouldn't it be good if it was done up and used for something.
ReplyDeleteMargaret, as times the vertical garden looks tidy, and other times not.
DeleteYes, the old building could be put to good use.
The hotel built in 1899 must have been quite impressive in its day! It still looks good today. Perhaps it always paid to build in a fancy suburb..like Albert Park.
ReplyDeleteHels, I guess it being multi storied, must have had accommodation as well.
DeleteHow long will it last, it depends on how stubborn the current owner is.
ReplyDeleteSpot on, TP. I think that would be so.
DeleteDemolishing and rebuilding seems to be a modern obsession. It reflects our throw-away society.
ReplyDeleteJB, I am not against demolishing, as very dated and ugly late 20th century buildings are demolished.
DeleteThose hanging gardens are always dicey. They don't work as well as people expect, especially without supplemental water. There's one near us that's been stone dead for at least five years, and I keep wondering why the building owners don't replant it, but maybe they just don't want the bother.
ReplyDeleteSteve, they should either be properly maintain, with an irrigation system, or removed if they fail. A dead one looks so ugly.
DeleteSome fine old buildings get demolished and get replaced by ugliness.
ReplyDeletePat, I'm sure you've seen many disappear, as I have.
DeleteThe old and the new in that last picture. I hope the old survives,
ReplyDeleteI do too Kirk.
Delete