Tuesday, August 18, 2026

My fingers run away

Phyllis has an excellent command of written and spoken English, and even without the usual Indian accent.

Kosov has excellent written English but his speaking is quirky. He struggles to explain anything complicated. But then I probably do too. At times I have had to restart explaining something. 

Neither of them have good mental arithmetic. If they want an instant answer to simple arithmetic, they ask me. And my mental arithmetic is far from perfect but faster than theirs, and more accurate.

When a new calendar arrives each year, Phyllis marks the calendar when the fortnightly rent is to be paid. I picked up that he mucked that up during the change from last year's calendar. He wasn't trying to cheat me, as his mistake was in my favour by one week. They are now paying rent four weeks in advance, but again Phyllis mucked up, and marked the calendar one month after he last paid four weeks rent. No, no. That short changes me by a few days each month. He understood and realised his mistake. I have no doubt it was unintentional. He knows I am smart with minor amounts of money, just not so smart with larger amounts. Yep, I look after pennies, not necessarily the pounds.

Speaking of pennies, for a long time I've wondered why Americans refer to coins as pennies. Aren't they cents? Aren't dollars and cents the standard?

Some good news here today. Food delivery drivers will now receive an hourly wage of around AU$31 an hour while they are working, plus some accident and personal injury insurance paid for by their employing companies. My lads never look to the future about shopping and we had run out of cat litter, which is not in my job description. Kosov didn't want to go out to get some after being told to do so, so he had it delivered from Aldi, for a fee of $4.50. That is simply a ridiculously low delivery fee. It may rise now that proper wages have to be paid to delivery drivers. Good.

What a horrible business in England, where a professor was driven to suicide, mostly by the Murdoch media. I can never remember an academic being attacked by media as he was. 

In Israel, Netanyahu is trying to build bridges with far right parliamentary members who want to bomb Arab countries to bits before a forthcoming election, while #47 continues his nonsense, now having being humiliated by Iran. Yeah, all about oil, but #47, you have huge problems in your own country. Yet the fuckwit is against his own citizens and businesses who use and promote renewable energy, thus reducing the reliance on Middle Eastern oil. Follow the money for him and his corrupt cronies and you will find out why.

Now Kosov has his Master's degree and no longer a student, he had to apply for a two year post study visa. My god, how Australia rips off overseas students. Now it is an AU$500 for a medical check and chest x-ray. He has spent many hours online applying for his visa. Stepping out of my personal interest in having them stay, they are hard working, decent and honest young men, in a committed relationship. As much as they are taking from Australia, they are giving more back to the country. 

Oh yes, the three of us had a very nice couple of hours out with HH last Friday night. I was going to insist on paying for my two glasses of wine but I knew what her reaction would be, so it was pointless. She can certainly talk, but I noticed her conversational skills, by the way she engaged Phyllis and Kosov in conversations. You'd be surprised how well an 80 year old straight white Australian woman could talk with two Indian born gay overseas former students who have lived in Australia for a couple of years.

35 comments:

  1. It seems that both of your young men are going to be an asset to Australia.
    Language skills here are on a rapid downhill slide. From what I have seen on local social media, and heard on our streets, the English Language is doomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, a linguist might say it is just language evolving. But I know what you are saying, and the same is happening here.

      Delete
  2. Again I must say how kind you are Andrew to the two boys and how lovely HH is to all of you. I must say though that my Australian nephew applied and received a working visa to GB through my mum who is Scottish, and the cost was $8000 Australian. Off he went, he’s a qualified bricklayer but couldn’t get any work as the Romanians undercut anyone else by extreme amounts. He lasted about six months and had to come home. Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, that is how I understand things work in Britain. Also though, the Poles and the Romanians seem to do a good job, and without them there would be shortage of workers. That's not much consolation for people like your nephew, who perhaps should have done more research before putting his thoughts into actions. My nephew had to leave Scotland in 2000s as his pay was just not covering his modest living expenses.

      Delete
  3. It is great that delivery drivers working for legitimate companies will be paid appropriately. However many of the international students are delivering for international food shops and are paid in cash so it’s won't happen for them. I think once a child begins working even part time and paying tax they should be able pay and receive employer super. They have to join a union if they work for major retail.
    The academic was challenged and discredited by his peers for plagiarism. Unfortunately he also made some other claims that were disproved as well.. . However it was a cruel ending to a life of a person.
    He had family and people who loved him .I hope they are well supported

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an issue, but the standard pay for delivery drivers may well lift what the less formalised workers are paid.
      My mind is still open about the academic, and the real point is others have done similar and retained their positions.

      Delete
  4. And why do American tv programmes about weight loss talk in pounds, not kilos? What they show inside their country is not our concern, but if the programme is sent to the other 192 countries of the world, at least give the translation at the bottom of the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am being assaulted by American mad ads on YouTube, that are relevant to Australia, but American made. Sorry companies, if you want to sell to me, make Australian ads for Australians.

      Delete
  5. Why not just keep on chit-chatting Andrew? Regarding Jason Arday, I would say that plagiarism takes several different forms. There can by cynical, deliberate deception but there can also be more unconscious, unintentional forms - true only in parts. I rather think that Jason Arday was in the second category. The same right wing newspapers that hounded Keir Starmer out of office turned their cruel attentions to Mr Arday. There was more than a whiff of racism about their witch-hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, after quite some reading, that is how I understand the plagiarism accusation against him, that is unconscious or came from his memory of what he had read.
      You must concede that Starmer lacked any kind of charisma, and that is needed in modern politics.

      Delete
  6. I know it cost my niece in law and her husband my nephew a massive amount of dollars to keep her legal here. She's Brazilian but hasn't lived there since she was a teen. Every time they go visit her family in Brazil I get anxiety that all won't go well at return. HH sounds like a fun lady to have as a neighbor. I love your stories about the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, is she not a permanent resident or citizen? I think she should be very worried when leaving and returning to the US.

      Delete
  7. You might be more surprised by how I barely talk at all, being totally useless at conversation. $500 for a medical check and Xray??
    I thought the same about delivery prices going up, but I never order food deliveries so it won't affect me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People like HH can stimulate conversation with engagement. I don't believe you are as bad at speaking as you say. Some people like HH talk a lot. Some people like you don't talk too much.

      Delete
  8. There is such harmony in your household, Andrew and with your neighbour. That is lovely.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, yes it is quite harmonious. I rarely criticise my lads, because they cause me no bother and have picked up nuances of how I like to live.

      Delete
  9. Andrew, in America we just refer to pennies as pennies, i,e,. copper coins worth 1¢ each. Other coins, such as nickels (5¢), dimes (10¢) and quarters (25¢) are referred to as, well, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Now that you've got me thinking about it, I suppose a penny and a cent are synonyms of each other. I suppose the only difference is one tends to visualize a penny (a copper coin with Abe Lincoln on it) and not a cent. Plus, they've stopped making pennies (inflation having made them useless.)

    I was in the mall today and saw a gumball machine. I reached in my pocket was pleasantly surprised that I did have a quarter (25¢), just what the machine asked for. Back when I was a kid it would have cost a penny (1¢)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it Kirk. Thanks. It is a nick name for 1 cent, like a dime for 10 cents.
      So did you buy a gumball that cons 25 pennies?

      Delete
    2. Afraid the gumball machine won't take 25 pennies, not that I walk around with 25 pennies anyway. I was surprised I had a quarter on me.

      Delete
  10. That is expensive for visa and xray in my thinking and I agree with you about the cost of all things regarding students, the government drains the money out of them for sure. Great new re Uber drivers increase in pay, about time too. You couldn't drive to Aldi for $4.50 in the car.
    Isn't it lovely the HH makes your friends so welcome by taking to them, that is nice to read, Andrew. Glad you fixed the weeks in rent..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that's just for the medical and xray. The visa itself is a whole lot more.

      Delete
  11. Thanks Margaret. Yes, HH is kind because she is kind, and in return for the meals they cooked for her when she was incapacitated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your two lads are charming and good company, No wonder HH enjoyed conversing with them.
    As for Jason Arday, he was the architect of his own downfall, aided by academics who should have known better but were anxious to show how 'inclusive' they were. I'm sorry for his family and friends, but not surprised at the outcome. I certainly don't think he was 'hounded' - not in anything I heard or read, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect your opinion and better knowledge JB, but wasn't he given a rather hard time by the Murdoch press?

      Delete
  13. I am not up with the detail of the Jason Arday story but I will say that even if he was a terrible pagiarist and suffering enormous shame, it wouldn't be worth dying.
    Your neighbour must be a very adept conversationalist.
    What a lovely life you have with so many good people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, right or wrong, he was hounded. Is the modern phrase 'piled on'?

      Delete
    2. ah yes, it was a pile on but i'm becoming ancient and hounded is my first choice

      Delete
  14. I think that our coins are pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters. 'Dollars and cents' refers to dollars and per(cents)...a penny being 1 percent, a nickel being 5 percent, a dime 10, a quarter 25.

    I hope this makes cents. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only think Debby? I never knew where the word cent came from, and your explanation makes cents.

      Delete
  15. "Cent" is the unit of currency -- something costs 25 cents. But the "penny" is the coin itself.

    The story of the professor in the UK is horrible. There were failures on so many levels, and no matter his mistakes or exaggerations, he should have been supported and protected more than he was. It's a tragic outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have clarity now Steve.
      If there is any good to come from his death, is that there will be a higher awareness by educational institutions and media about the repercussions of their actions.

      Delete
  16. $31 an hour is pretty good and way more than minimum wage here, but there's not a huge amount of people who are earning that sadly. i think in this day and age you have to look after your finances, no one else will do it properly, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, they may have to pay for their own motorcycle or cycle transport from their pay. The basic wage here is about AU$26. Thank you.

      Delete
  17. Can the lads apply for permanent residency at some point?
    HH sounds like a nice person, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, yes they can. Initially they weren't sure if they wanted to, but now they most certainly do.

      Delete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

A shiny new thing

I found a new barber and the shop looked quite smart. It would be $5 more for a haircut, but I am an adventurous soul...in some areas. Alas,...