Head to Linda's, in Quebec City, blog to see her latest offering of Just for Laughs humour. It's a simple theme and well done, and immediately reminded me of a scene in I Love Lucy where she and Ethel (I thought she was called Viv) were working on a sweet production line.
Not all the humour in I Love Lucy has held up, but while simple and silly, I think this clip has stood the test of time but oh god, how awful was canned laughter back then.
Howl me down, at your pleasure.
I think her real name was Vivian Vance.
ReplyDeleteYes Boud. As soon as I read this, of course it was.
DeleteYes, Vivian Vance was her real name! Thank you so much for sharing this, Andrew! Hilarious! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda.
DeleteDid she have a subnormal son called James David? He could not remember his name so usually referred to himself as "JD". I wonder whatever happened to him?
ReplyDeletePossibly YP. That is the bloke that upset the good folk of the Cotswolds and does sex with furniture, specifically a couch. If it is him, I am sure V V had her life regrets.
DeleteVivian Vance, who played Ethel on I Love Lucy, also played a character named Viv on a later show starring Lucille Ball titled The Lucy Show, so maybe that's the reason for the confusion. I've read that Vance insisted on using her own first name for the second series because she was tired of people calling her Ethel.
ReplyDeleteThanks for fleshing that all out Kirk.
DeleteShe was so funny in her day.
ReplyDeleteI could only watch a few seconds of that candy wrapping and even less of the one at Linda's with the plates. Years ago I would have laughed, but I no longer find it funny to trick people like that.
ReplyDeleteOk River. Times do change, and humour with it.
DeleteAs others have said, funny in her/their day. But I still smile :)
ReplyDeleteWe were a bit more innocent back then Margaret.
DeleteOne of the earliest sitcoms I watched.
ReplyDeletePossibly mine too, Pradeep.
DeleteSlapstick ages well.
ReplyDeleteDoes it Travel? An episode of The Three Stooges showed up in my feed, and I thought, no. Best left as a memory.
DeleteI'm not familiar with those comedy series, they weren't shown here, but what I see is really funny. They were great, entertaining series.
ReplyDeleteI remember my grandparents thinking it was very funny.
DeleteA classic scene. "Viv" was called that in Lucille Ball's later series, "The Lucy Show."
ReplyDelete(Oh, I see Kirk beat me to it on that little bit of trivia!)
DeleteSteve, I don't think I ever differentiated between the two, although one was newer.
DeleteOne of the best comedy scenes ever, Andrew.
ReplyDeleteReally Pat? Ok. Glad you liked the revisit.
DeleteI remember that one. A classic:) And you aren't wrong. Vivian Vance played Ethel.
ReplyDeleteI understand now Sandra, thanks.
DeleteOh gawd.
ReplyDeleteYour loved it when you were young Strayer.
DeleteI'm such a klutz that I used to tell folks that I'm a knock-off Lucille Ball without the comedic timing. :) And I agree about laugh tracks. The Drew Carey Show sitcom was a favorite back in the day; now the laugh track makes it unwatchable. :( Oh, well, it's a First World problem and I have plenty of new content available. Take care!
ReplyDeleteDarla, that is a point about plenty of new content. We really have no reason to visit the old when there are so many clever people putting it out there now.
DeleteLucille Ball was born in Jamestown NY, but her Grandparents had a farm outside Sugar Grove. She was partially raised by them. I pass that farm on my way to Levi and Mattie's house.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite will always be Lucy as the Vitameatavegimin ad. https://youtu.be/6x4Uk7qWRR8?is=GeT5UDdbzbq1Hbtp
Celeron, NY had a statue commissioned for a park on the lake. The artist decided to base it on that episode. To be amused, Google "creepy Lucy statue". After much uproar and many years, it was replaced.
Wow, that statue is absurd, and of course nothing like her. I will look at the clip tomorrow. The translation one when she was in Paris wasn't too bad.
DeleteVideo clip not available here. Not your fault.
DeleteGoogle Vitameatavegamin. You will find it most assuredly.
ReplyDeleteThanks. The clip really shows what a fine actor she was.
Delete