Sunday, July 5, 2026

I'm not moving

Just to note about Friday Funnies, suicide is not funny, and I expect the late Sue who was a volunteer at the suicide prevention telephone service Life Line, would not have approved of of the post at all. Nor is it now funny to make fun of people with strong phobias. But having said that, I did think they were funny.

Diagonally across the intersection below me, The Muse apartment building is close to completion. I really like the interior finishes, which look restrained and classy, rather than opulent and gauche. Check out some interior photos here.

It seems to be only 3 and 4 bedroom apartments, and seems to be 1 bath room per bedroom, and 3 car parking spaces per apartment. At least one three bedroom apartment has four bathrooms! This so goes against the City of Melbourne's quest to reduce car parking spaces in buildings, or ban them altogether. 

There is no doubt it is a lavish building. Just the expense of the external landscaping is mind blowing. There are only 40 odd apartments in such a huge pair of buildings. That doesn't sound like increasing the population near public transport hubs, another current government ideal. 

A neighbour told me the 3 bedroom apartments, some even have 4 bathrooms for 3 bedrooms, are smaller in size than ours, that is my own 3 bedroom apartment. 

Prices start at AU$4.1 million, US$2.8, €2.48, GB£2.1, and for a penthouse around AU$10 million. Where does this filthy wealth come from?

But oh, the two car park exits. They will take forever to get anywhere. From the Toorak Road exit to travel in the opposite direction along Toorak Road will take five to ten minutes. To travel towards the city from the St Kilda Road exit will take just as long, as they move from the service road to the centre lanes, and then u turn at traffic lights. In a location where there is good public transport, trams will be a much better option for a local trip, but of course rich people despise public transport used by the great unwashed.

Here are a few photos, the first of the exterior I've already shown you.

This being of what was unveiled last week, taken from my cheap seats balcony. Two pools with a different colours. It could be wall and floors of the pool are different colours, but I'd like to think one is fresh water pool and one is a salt water pool. Or maybe one is for laps and one is for leisure, and grand child friendly. 


Lovely birch trees, and there are a lot of water features nearby, yet to flow.




I should know the name of these trees are. AI told me the wrong address of the property and was not helpful with tree identification. I am now thinking they may be golden ash. Nice.


This is not the main entrance, the main being in St Kilda Road, and much grander than the Toorak Road entrance, along with being set back from the street. I could have taken a photo of the main entrance but I would expect a guard to appear if I stepped across a threshold. 



I am not sure of the purpose of this small area.



From Toorak Road looking down to the main entrance and foyer.

37 comments:

  1. Yes, we have much bigger units than the newer buildings around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Profits or keeping costs down for buyers? Guess.

      Delete
  2. Prices START at $4.1 million? I know we need more housing .. urgently
    ..but I wonder how many extra families can now stop renting and can move to buy their own home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how disabled friendly they are, eg are those steps the only way to get into the side entrance? With that money I would surmise they are being sold to wealthy downsizers who are older, or to Asians parking their money here and the apartment left empty for lengthy periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The are quite strict rules about accessibility. I would guess a mix of both as you describe.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, can you pop over er and ask if they allow doggies and cats to live there. Also is there a lawned area on the roof for doggos to poop .
    If so I will buy the penthouse, it will be closest to the lawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are garden beds at the front for the pleasure of all dogs. You'll be fine.

      Delete
  5. The exterior is far too shiny for my liking. Have they thought of reflected sun causing problems for drivers or pilots? Or even people who are sensitive to glare as I am. The first few pictures show a very nice apartment, not ostentatious at all, but too fancy for the likes of me. Also I am not a fan of marble and that slatted finish on whatever that is just looks like it would take more dusting than just a flick of the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, River...that was my first thought, followed by this: if I had that kind of money at my disposal, is this the way that I would choose to spend it? Answer: no. Even though it would be great fun to pop over to neighbor Andrew's to vex and annoy!

      Delete
    2. The cladding has been up for a while River and I haven't noticed any reflections. Ha, I looked now and there is one, but it's tiny, and I've realised because the building is all curved facings, any reflections will only ever be small.

      Delete
    3. That eases my mind a little, it's good the designers thought of that. But like Debby, if I had that kind of money I still wouldn't buy there, I would buy a single or two storey place with grounds for grandchildren to visit and play. With fruit trees and a veggie garden.

      Delete
  6. I take it that you will be able to watch the residents enjoy the roof top pool although I doubt they will use it as they will have to share it with other residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get my binoculars out and report back.

      Delete
  7. The building does look flashy and when the trees get their leaves they will soften all the shining bit, must be a glare when the sun is on it.
    Expensive it seems, I would prefer a house on the ground for that price - are these places soundproof Andrew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In time I think it will look quite good from street level. Nothing like a mass of birch trees.

      Delete
  8. I agree that the pricing is basically a bank robbery. I love the reflections in the glass windows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot to take in up close with one viewing. As time goes on, I will notice more.

      Delete
  9. I don't think they are at all attractive. No doubt, they'll look better when partially hidden by trees - silver birch, they look like - but not friendly buildings at all. Vanity projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit sad when you have to improve a building by hiding it.

      Delete
  10. Do I detect the foul odour of envy Andrew? Like a smelly TRUMP. As for, "Where does this filthy wealth come from?" - The bank of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure much of the money is lent, but it does have to backed by assets or income. Living there would be like me dining in an upmarket restaurant. I'd be uncomfortable.

      Delete
  11. I could be comfortable in that space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breezing around the building with full confidence.

      Delete
  12. It is the same here, with new housing for people with money while those with little pay a premium for less and less. Builders don't want to build apartment complexes/multiple living units here, it doesn't pay as much as the huge McMansion style single family homes.

    No doubt the place is lovely, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just guessing MM, maybe there is a lesser gap for you between apartments and free standing houses.

      Delete
  13. I've wondered that too, where do all these super rich people get that kind of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, my belief is people make money by borrowing money. They use other people's money to make their own wealth.

      Delete
  14. It's interesting that so much high-end housing is being built all over the world, and yet most people are struggling to make ends meet. Are they buying above their pay grade in order to get into these fancy buildings? Or are the building units bought as investments by superrich people who don't intend to actually live there? So many questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, in the case of this block, I think owners will live there because it is such a desirable location. There are plenty elsewhere where there are many empty apartments.

      Delete
  15. At those prices I would be staying put too, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, yes, I am very happy with where I live, even though they are the cheap seats.

      Delete
  16. Das sind in meinen Augen reine Prestigeobjekte, die viel zu teuer sind. Ob Menschen, die dort einziehen, glücklicher sind als andere in anderen Wohngegenden? Ich möchte es bezweifeln. Alles ist zu durchgestylt, ohne Seele.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, although it may gain some of its own character as it ages..

      Delete
  17. That's something the way the sky is reflected off that building. I wonder if it confuses the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of birds fly past here, it being a direct path from one park to another with a huge lake, and it doesn't seem to bother them at all.

      Delete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

A Home Invasion

'Andrew, we have invited friends to play board games on Friday at 11.30. Is that ok?' They had already invited them, so I had to say...