Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Tram undulations

I've tried a few times to capture this but either the tram driver was driving slowly or a passenger stood up and blocked the view. 

I got it this time, route 58, in Kingsway to West Coburg via the Zoo.

It is an E class tram, built in Melbourne by local and imported ingredients and built in the suburb Dandenong at the Bombardier factory, formerly COMENG, the government owned Commonwealth Engineering. E class trams are quite long, at over 33 metres/108 feet, have three articulated sections and sit on four swivelling bogies. They are quite a good tram in my opinion, even if the creak and groan. And some of the seats with their fibreglass backs, can pop forward and back depending on acceleration and braking. 

Our next new tram will be shorter and hopefully even better. They will be known as G class. I wonder why F class was skipped?

While I am talking about trams, with Melbourne having the largest tram system in the world, the private operator, not owner, is Yarra Trams, a consortium between the French company Keolis and a large local rail engineering company Downer Rail. In my forty one year career in public transport, my final employer was Keolis Downer. 

Come December a new consortium will take over the operation of Yarra Trams made up of the French company Transdev and the Chinese company, John Holland. Transdev did have a contract to operate part of Melbourne's bus system, and were run out of town by the state government for dreadful performance. That does not bode well. 

I hope the clip doesn't make you sea sick. 

30 comments:

  1. I opened the video before I read your last sentence. It did. Well captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, always read my words of wisdom first, haha.

      Delete
  2. Public transportation fascinates me, here in my city we don't have a good system. I'd love to dispense with my car and catch a tram or bus outside my house or even a block or two away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, while my car is just three years old, I am fortunate to have quite good public transport here and the car is not much used.

      Delete
  3. I am already feeling queasy with this godawful medication I have to take tonight.
    Quick...pass me the sick bag..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, is your body not empty of everything by now?

      Delete
  4. thecontemplativecat here Being on the train brings back memories. Some good and some not. We traveled from LA to Chicago, 2 nights and three days. All of them miserable. Here is Calif. trains are limited to San Francisco to LA. Your video brought back some of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, I've watched a quite a few clips about Amtrak travel and while it is rarely punctual, generally the trains seem quite comfortable and the service quite ok. I'd love it if you could tell me why you did not enjoy the trip.

      Delete
  5. It is just too far familiar to see it shake like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, when was the last time you were on a tram?

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that F class was sensibly skipped as a very rude word begins with the letter F... and it's not fondue or flummoxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I am flummoxed about what word you mean? Flawed?

      Delete
  8. I love trams. You say you worked in public transport but I don't believe you have told us what you did. Care to enlighten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, your neighbour knows, as her friend knew two lads, one of whom I worked with. I had many different roles there, but one major one.

      Delete
  9. Always love your public transit posts.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WWW. There may even be another tomorrow.

      Delete
  10. It did remind me of a ship in rough seas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the tram was going faster Kirk, and it would be more dramatic.

      Delete
  11. I don't think the clip is long enough to make anyone seasick. Maybe F was skipped because people might call it the "F***ed" system?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a good video clip Andrew, you did well on that.
    Well lets' hope it all goes well with the take over and things don't go backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. Who knows about the new contract. The present operator is far from perfect, but it is experienced.

      Delete
  13. Interesting clip. Are the trams always that empty? Surely not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to check the video JB. Trams can be packed at times and often you can't sit alone where there are two seats. I remember now, the tram ahead was late and so this one was lightly loaded and I correctly judged it to be perfect to capture the video.

      Delete
  14. In August we rode the Chicago CTA Blue Line from the airport to downtown, the tracks were SOOO BUMPY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, it wouldn't want to be a bullet train then.

      Delete
  15. Thank you, Andrew! I am a rail fan. Honolulu has a short segment that opened a year ago and is being built longer. What a saga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudia, if it is a saga, it is not alone there.

      Delete
    2. I see it is a light rail line, but there is also a historic line that must operate for tourists and visitors.

      Delete

Metro Park

Melbourne's Metro tunnel will transform the way many of us get about. It will certainly do so for me. The tunnel will open next year and...