Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Train walking

I was going to travel to Sunbury on a regional VLine train for the most important reason that I could. It was a twenty minute wait at Sunbury before a return VLine train arrived to return me to So Cross Southern Cross Station, enough time to buy a take away cup of coffee. I've been there before and the more astute of you may remember when Ray and I visited and brunched at The Jolly Miller. 

Oh damn, why didn't I check on my phone app. The train is leaving from Platform 2B. I would have left the 58 tram a stop later, had I known. Now I had to walk 300/1000. The train was sitting there but people were standing around outside the short train's doors. I stood with them and they clearly knew something I didn't. I noticed the door open button was illuminated so I pressed it and the door opened. I was quickly told I could not board by staff. 

Staff, then public announcements, then screens said the train is defective and a substitute train would leave from Platform 5A, which meant another 300 metre walk back, plus about 100 metres to the train door at Platform 5A.

It was clear to me that the train would now leave 15 to 20 minutes late, thereby meaning I would miss the planned train back to the city. 

I did not want to walk another half a kilometre and hang around in Sunbury for an hour because of a missed train and said to myself, damn it. This was supposed to be a pleasure trip and it is not turning out to be pleasurable. I am going to Corner and Bench in Bourke Street for one of its delicious warm chicken sliders with coleslaw, along with a nice strong cup of coffee. The more I use Southern Cross Station, the more I am hating it. 

I have so many photos to use for posts, but I just keep writing. I like writing.

Phyllis returned on Monday evening. I told him that it was not acceptable that he had not paid his rent and that I hated having to mention money, and that I don't want to have to mention it again. At 9.30 the external door closed and he was off somewhere. He returned with noodles and the rent money at 10. I will guess he went to the new Woolworths Metro supermarket that has opened near. I have checked it out and it is almost as large as a normal supermarket. Brilliant, but I guess it will mean the closure of one of the two IGA small supermarkets nearby.  I went to bed at 11 and Phyllis was busy cooking away. There is now a huge bowl of cooked noodles in the fridge now but as it is nearly 10pm, he has not returned from work. 

9.45 Phyllis has returned and immediately the gas hot plates went on, and it was pasta not noodles that he cooked last night and he is very busy making some kind of pasta dish. I tasted it and it is very spicy. 

While I'd like you to focus on my writing, we had a fabulous rainbow here a couple of weeks ago, so if you are bored with my writing, this is your consolation prize. 

45 comments:

  1. I really like your writing and the snapshots of your life. Just the same that double rainbow is truly spectacular.
    I hope that Phyllis takes your talk about the rent on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is an advantage to be up high and have a wide view to see a full rainbow. Phyllis knew about the pot of gold and that there was some mythical things at the end of the rainbow to cheat you from your gold but he couldn't remember the name leprechaun.

      Delete
  2. You got a fair bit of exercise at the station if nothing else.
    I love to see rainbows. There was one right beside my plane as we were coming in to land on that wet and windy day last week. I had opened my eyes only briefly to see how close were and there it was. Another violent jolt made me close my eyes again and wonder if the rainbow was a good omen..or not. Clearly, as I am still here, it must have been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, more than I wished. At least I can walk ok but I felt for older people who had luggage etc.
      Yes, the rainbow looked after you. The weather must have been rough.

      Delete
  3. Wow. That IS a fabulous rainbow. Too bad about all the train bother but at least you eventually got home to the endlessly fascinating Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I am pleased you like Tales of Phyllis.

      Delete
  4. Spicy pasta with Indian spice? That would be interesting. The rainbow is nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, it tasted very nice but it was just too hot for me.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed both the rainbow and your writing. Sorry you had train issues and glad you got the rent money. Cheers,
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. That's nice to hear from a professional.

      Delete
  6. You like to write and I like to read, we shall get on very well. A warm chicken slider with coleslaw plus good strong coffee sounds perfect. Perhaps Phyllis is now sorted out, we hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Deb, thanks. No doubt there will more Phyllis drama.

      Delete
  7. I like both the writing and the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He was testing you out, to see if you'd mention the late rent. Good for you to say something. I like the consolation prize, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I don't think he was but he did need a gee up about the rent.

      Delete
  9. Does he share the cooked food with you? Does the food meet your taste and nutritional requirements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, he keeps offering but his food is too hot for me. A couple of times he has set aside food for me with less spice before finishing his cooking with more spice. I don't think his diet has enough vegetables, and perhaps mine doesn't now. I am addressing that.

      Delete
  10. Not at all bored with your writing Andrew, but what a perfect rainbow!
    Does he make a noise cooking his meal/supper when you go to bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, no. He isn't a noisy person and my bedroom is a distance away.

      Delete
  11. That's a double rainbow! Lucky you. I hope after this that the rent will always be on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. I hope the rent will be on time in the future. You have to talk about money at times but I don't like doing so.

      Delete
  12. I must apologise Andrew that the first thing that jumped off the page for me was ' warm chicken sliders and hot strong coffee ' how shallow am I?
    I'm getting very behind with all this App stuff, how do I tell a useful one from a dud?
    Your patience with Phyllis is admirable, if he used a little less spice in his cooking at least you could eat some!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now shallow Alison. I think I visit the cafe about once a week and always have the same. He will separate what he cooks and add less spice to mine, but I only like curry type food once or so a week.

      Delete
  13. Your proposed day out was very disappointing but at least you had a nice meal and a lovely rainbow. I hope the rent won't become an issue - maybe Phyllis has taken notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he has JB. I certainly don't want him to think I am stupid old man to taken advantage of. I don't think he does.

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful rainbow !! Long time I haven't seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pity Gattina. You have sunshine, clouds and rain at times. You should have rainbows.

      Delete
  15. As they say: a picture is worth a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also like Tales of Phyllis. It is probably better to be upfront with him about rent and the things you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma, I am in a position of power as there aren't rules or regulations about boarders. In theory, I could change my door lock tomorrow, stop his access to the building and keep his bond money, $200. While I am a nice person and to do that would be extraordinary, I have to think like that to protect myself.

      Delete
  17. If it not fun, we don't have to do it anymore. Glad the rent was paid. Follow the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, living in hope of finding that pot of gold.

      Delete
  18. I'm glad that you took a firm stand with Phyllis re: the rent. I'm also glad that he made it right, although I have a sneaking feeling that he went out, met someone and borrowed the money, else he would have simply handed it over to you without leaving the house. I hope this does not become an ongoing issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, he also bought pasta, which he began cooking after he returned. As well as working the maximum an overseas student can, I am sure he has parental support, that is they give him an allowance. Working the maximum hours is not enough to pay $200 a week in rent and still live.

      Delete
  19. Was this the rent for September? That should have been paid on September 1st? Definitely unacceptable, if that is the case.
    As for that rainbow, wow! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, no, he pays fortnightly, that every two weeks, so he was four days late. He should have paid it Thursday night but did not until Sunday night, but the was away Friday to Sunday night.

      Delete
  20. Ouch on the tardy rent. As an experienced landlady in the past, this would be a whole pile of warning lights to me. If he's not managing his money well (top of the list - pay the rent!) it signals other issues in his life. I am hoping not. But I have lived the rent chasing in the past. And it sucks the energy and positive transactional relationship to bits.
    Lovely rainbow.
    And PS write more. I love your writing.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see WWW. Personally I think it was an oversight but....I will be straight on to it if it happens again.

      Delete
  21. My comments seem to be disappearing, Andrew, but I have been checking in on your tales as a landlord, etc. Love the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat it is rare that your comments go to the spam folder, maybe only once or twice, so I don't know what that is about. It was a great rainbow, thanks.

      Delete
  22. Keep reading, keep telling us! And thanks for the dessert photo

    ReplyDelete

Metro Park

Melbourne's Metro tunnel will transform the way many of us get about. It will certainly do so for me. The tunnel will open next year and...