Sunday, September 15, 2024

The Personal

I could say it is quiet here without Phyllis but he is often out and about. He is staying with a friend for two nights.

The Swedish Death Cleaning goes on. While it didn't all go in bags, I think I would have taken the equivalent of about twenty of the bags full of stuffs to the local charity shop. Just because you have space, there is no need to fill it. As you well know, I am not a person who exaggerates or is theatrical with detail, but I estimate that one tonne of oven trays and metal baking dishes went into recycling, and another half a tonne of ceramic baking dishes to the charity shop. Phyllis must have found the muller and put it in the bag. In a moment of disingenuousness, I can't remember what we used the muller for. The green thing is a Tupperware celery container. Next to the bags sits a draining board that came with our sink. I was reluctant to throw that out, until I thought about it and acknowledged to myself in nearly ten years since the kitchen was given its makeover, it has never been used. 

Aside from one jumbled bookcase in the spare room and bedding in the linen press, oh, and the filing cabinet, oh and photos, there is not much more cleaning required. 

What is this, asked Phyllis. I don't have a clue, I replied. I just picked it up, gave it glance, never used, get rid of it. It is car phone cradle, Phyllis proclaimed as he examined it. 



Ah, I thought, I will keep that, even though my car and phone connect for calls,  the sat nav is pretty awful to use and the voice controls can never understand what I am saying, usually an address. I still use Google Maps and while I can connect the maps to the car screen, I forget how and I can't be bothered checking, given how rarely I need maps in the car. YouTube helps again, with a short clip about where to place the cradle. At the moment I sit my phone upright in a coffee cup holder in the console, close to where this phone cradle appears to clip.

Swedish Death Cleaning can bring sadness at times.


I had promised R to see one of his sisters 'right' if he died first, and last week I received the balance of Ray's superannuation to my bank account. It wasn't six figures, but close. Today I sent the minimum five figure sum I could via my bank by electronic transfer. I followed every instruction so carefully and triple checked the account details Ray's sister had sent to me via the encrypted Whatsapp. It worked as far as I can see. I tried to check if the amount had left my account to be greeted with a message that I had been locked out of my account. I tried the banking app on my phone and I was locked out of that too.

I called my bank and eventually spoke to someone after twenty minutes in a phone queue, who then transferred me to another department with a short wait. This was the first time I had tried to transfer money overseas and the bank was concerned about the legitimately of the transfer. I was asked umpteen questions, and SNAP, the assumption was made that my late partner was female. Since Ray died I have become fed up with this assumption and I will later lodge a complaint. In spite of all my answers, the questioner kept coming up with more concerns, the killer being, if your sister in law's Whatsapp has been hacked, how do you know they haven't just looked at her style of writing and copied it? I could not argue against that. While I was on the phone I had missed call and a voice message from my bank's fraud department. 

What we need you to do is contact her and just verify the bank account details you have match hers. Please, it is 5am in England. She won't wake until at least 9am. I tried but WhatsApp doesn't allow you to hold a call and call another number using WhatsApp. I tried to call her normal phone number and received a recorded message that I wasn't allowed to do that. After checking later, when I cheapened my phone plan, it doesn't include international calls. Bank person was patient. She gave me the direct number for the banking fraud department and said as soon as you can get through to your sister in law, call us back and we can unlock your bank account and approve the transfer. I have called and called Ray's sister, and no answer. With a moment of exquisite timing, I realised this Saturday she was flying to Spain today for a short holiday. Just call me lucky. 

I do understand the bank's caution as they have come under heavy criticism after some people have been defrauded of hundreds of thousands of dollars by scammers and fraudsters.

Since Ray died, I think I've eaten two takeaway pizzas, and tonight after such stress decided to have my third takeaway hamburger. I ordered online, or tried to. I nearly completed the order and then it occurred to me that my bank account was locked, so I have to pay cash. This is why I do keep cash in my wallet but not much. I will message Phyllis tomorrow to ensure he gives me the rent money. 

Tomorrow Jo has a performance rehearsal in Melbourne and Sister's wife, Bone Doctor will drive her to Melbourne and wait while the rehearsal happens. She suggested we could lunch if I was free and I am. We will lunch at Ray's favourite plant nursery, with its quality plants and I will buy a new potted annual for the balcony, as the cyclamen sent to me by Ray's former workmate and friend when Ray died is on its last legs.

That is all. It would be nice to always be bright and cheerful when writing, but it would be false for me. I no longer have the energy to check this for typos or other errors. Publish and be damned.  

Later edit: Ray's sister called at 1.30am and we compared details and all was well. I quickly returned to sleep and at 7am I called the bank and soon my bank account access was restored. 

39 comments:

  1. That must be so stressful. I think I would be having fifty hissy fits by now.
    Hope it can get sorted out quickly. A locked bank account is not a thing of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was JayCee. During the 7am call, I was informed that I could go into any branch and plead my case and be given cash. Err, this happened on Saturday/Sunday. Banks are shut.

      Delete
  2. It is very quiet here when himself is away - not least because if he is home and up the TV is nearly always on. Well done on the cleaning/organising. I would have a huge job.
    And, frustrating as it is, it is probably a good thing that the bank shut your account down. Definitely better safe than sorry. Mind you, they were so quick off the mark I wonder how scammy transactions so often get through.
    Enjoy your time with your sister and Jo tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, day time tv would drive me mad. That is unless I am watching YouTube clips on tv. I dislike tv as background noise.
      Yes, aside from the assumption that my late partner was female, the bank did well.

      Delete
  3. Purging after a loved dies is hard because it stirs up so many memories, and then add in the kerfuffle with the bank.
    Take it easy for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, Ray always nagged me that we should get rid of things, and he was right, and I now have. Just bed linen and some books to go now, I think. We had the space to keep, and so we did. Now there are some quite empty spaces.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it got sorted out with the bank, that takes a lot out of a person, mentally, even more so because you have to do it because of the death of someone you loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, yes, the whole business was stressful but I am so glad it is now done. That's another thing to tick off.

      Delete
  5. I have mixed feelings about the banks' eagerness to protect us from ourselves! Glad it all got sorted - don't tell Phyllis til he pays you the rent.
    I had one of those green celery containers. I think I have managed to get rid of all the tupperware I collected in the 80s and 90s. The hardest part of clearing out is the actual act of getting rid of it to the op shop or wherever. I admire your persistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, it pains me to get rid of high quality Tupperware and I still have some. Yes, you are quite correct about the op shop, like it would not take a fake Christmas tree. I know the drill now at my local in Clarendon Street, and just walk in and dump the bags or boxes in the correct place.

      Delete
  6. I've got to get at getting rid of more stuff I don't use. How did the mobile phone car holder attach to the car? Most here want to suction cup attach only they just fall off quickly. I had one that hung from my rearview mirror but it quickly broke. I had used it to use my phone as a dashcam but it was then too far away to have a conversation if I needed to call someone. I only call if absolutely necessary, with voice activating contacts, but it was nice on long drives to chat sometimes hands free. No more, the thing is broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, the holder had spaces at the rear to clip into pegs. It is now clear that it was for our former car, not this one. Most phone cradles her clip to the air vents, I think. Even hands free phone calls, I cease to concentrate on driving, so I try to avoid phone talk when driving. I would need something else to film forward, though the car does have a forward facing camera.

      Delete
  7. This is enormously challenging. I would be up to my eyeballs in frustration in all you have to deal with. But I do recognize with all the fraud (billions) banks can't be too careful.
    Enjoy the show. You done good.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, even though Ray's affairs were simple, I have months of dealing with companies, banks....the list is long. The bank has its rules, to protect their customers, and themselves.

      Delete
  8. I have heard of Marie Kondo. But the term Swedish death cleaning I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should do some Swedish death cleaning but really don't want to just yet. Maybe in ten years. The money transfer is why I have chosen to go directly to the bank with my chosen recipient and relevant IDs and bank info should I ever win a large lotto prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, please double check with me for my name, address and bank details.

      Delete
    2. Family first Andrew, and at last count there were 20 of us including me.

      Delete
  10. Can't the bank just put the transfer on hold but let you otherwise have access to your account? After all, it's YOUR money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, as I now understand it, it is world wide banking money transfer system and individual banks cannot interfere in the system. All they can do is lock bank accounts to prevent movements of money. Here I quote some of the acronyms that I had to work out from Ray's sister. Acc no. Sort Code. SWIFT/IBAN=GB02NWBK, plus about seven more letters and numerals, then IBAN=NWBK and three more letters.

      Delete
  11. You're very organised. Bank transactions are always a little worrying but it's such a relief when they go through smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, you may think I am organised, but there is simple cleaning that needs to be done. I'll get to it...

      Delete
  12. You certainly have been busy sorting stuff out. I understand the banks concern but what a lot of mucking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it is a pity there isn't a way to advise your bank about what you are going to do. But still, there would be no guarantee about bank account numbers.

      Delete
  13. Your family still regularly check on you and help you out. That is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. They do Roentare but none ask how I am really doing. The flood of sympathy quickly dies. I will write a post about the matter.

      Delete
  14. We accumulate so much over a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly TP, it feels good to get rid of all the crap I have that I will never use.

      Delete
  15. I am glad you promised Ray to look after one of his sisters if he died first, and last week you did. Good man! Ray obviously loved his sister, and I hope you have had the opportunity to care about her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, she was the epitome of kindness with out last two visits to England. We did a good bit for her, and she has done a good bit for us.

      Delete
  16. You are an honorable man Andrew. It is a pleasure getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't often transfer money but when I tried a couple of weeks ago I had to answer numerous questions. Banks have certainly tightened up on what should have been a straightforward transaction. I am pleased you managed to eventually send the money to Ray's sister. I am thinking maybe she is the lovely sister I met in York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, Australian banks are scared of our government implementing the strict refund rules now in place for your banking system. Yes, it was Kath.

      Delete
  18. I did my own "death cleaning" last year, as it got awfully close. I couldn't believe the large amount of clothing I had, but which I hadn't worn for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, the circumstances of your cleaning could have been better.

      Delete
  19. Well, I can understand why they were cautious, but still -- that had to be frustrating! Glad you got it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I think we have to get used to such inconvenience.

      Delete

Train walking

I was going to travel to Sunbury on a regional VLine train for the most important reason that I could. It was a twenty minute wait at Sunbur...