Sunday, July 14, 2024

Sunday Selections

I am joining with Elephant's Child, River and others for Sunday Selections, with I hope photos of a random nature I haven't used before.

The gang above Priceline (pronounced Prickaleenie) where once was a hair salon.


D&G temporarily decorated a tram stop shelter.


Looking down on the slum across the road from my balcony. 


This was the strangest little exhibition in the Melbourne Town Hall Gallery. I really did not understand what it was about. The gallery is free, on the street and small, so it is easy just pop into when passing when a new exhibition opens. This is not the 'I love a sunburnt country', that I learnt. Rather sad making.


Now the exhibition is coming together.


I am understanding what it is all about.


No, I am lying. 


Life imitating art?


These springy rubbery things I guess are to prevent people walking along train tracks. 


Gorgeous feature wall of a nicely uplit old bluestone wall at the Oriental Teahouse.


In the recycling room. I wondered if it worked, but I have no need.


I expect this area near Dandenong Station is called Little India.


I think every shop was Indian related. Sadly Luckily for me the Indian sweet shops were closed on that public holiday.
 

Lonsdale Street, Dandenong is the main street of Dandenong, once the Princes Highway, the main road to the east of the state. I can't imagine the traffic through there if it still was route east. A freeway carries most of the traffic now. It's a long way to go for a sausage.


Scotch sausage! If that is the spicy sausage meat I am thinking of, it is delicious. I will have to return when the shop is open.


The area is very nicely done now and the impact of the busy Lonsdale Street car traffic is diminished. 


Dandenong is a very old market town on an important and only practical route to the Gippsland region, and although an hour plus by train from the city, its age does show in its grand town hall.

35 comments:

  1. I don't understand a lot of art not that I'm supposed to see it one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either Strayer, and certainly not this exhibition.

      Delete
  2. I do love it when you join us for Sunday Selections. Ouch on that take on 'A sunburned country'. Sadly true for many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to visit Dandenong farmer's market for street photography. The traffic and the local crimes have deterred me from the region

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, Dandenong certainly has a reputation now that it never used to have. I was pleasantly surprised actually, but it was a public holiday, so fairly quiet.

      Delete
  4. Seeing your part of the world is exciting. I will never go there, so I will look at it through your camera's eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. I need to keep what you said in mind when I take photos.

      Delete
  5. Interesting version of the original poem. I'd love to rummage through that silver tableware. Might find something useful.
    I used to buy Lancashire sausages at Woolies and they were lovely, now they only have a Woolies brand copycat labelled English sausages and they are no different from any other pork sausages. Won't buy those again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, a silver spoon to transfer Lola's food to her bowl? I don't think I've tried Lancashire sausages.

      Delete
    2. They're nicely spicy but not overly flavoured, while the generic Woolies ones might just as well be any other pork sausage. Lola gets a plastic spoon.

      Delete
  6. Drum Theatre (bottom photo) is a lovely performing arts venue in Dandenong. Even though it opened not many years ago exactly where the old Dandenong Town Hall had been, the original 19th century architecture was happily retained .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I looked more closely at the photo and I can see the sign. Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  7. Was the exhibition just one artist's work as three of the four photos included silver? And no I didn't understand it either. The rest of your Sunday wanderings were an interesting view of different parts of your city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea Fun60. There must be some theme to the exhibition but it was a while ago and I can't remember. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Nice variety of photos Andrew. Not the same words as I know on that chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the words are harsh, but it is someone expressing themselves about their feelings, whether we agree with them or not.

      Delete
  9. That chair was so sad. I wonder who polished all the silverware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, you are of an age where you would know all about polishing silver and what a tedious job it is. A product was invented to put in water to remove tarnishing and then just rinse and dry.

      Delete
  10. Another eclectic selection. I am not sure I would walk on that pavement slab with the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JayCee, they are horse shoes, not eyes. I was near our second most important racecourse and there are various similar horse shoe cast for Melbourne Cup winners.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes that verse is full of sadness, guilty and blaming at the same time. But all the other photos are quite cheerful. One should never ask what an art exhibition is about it only resides in the mind of the artist, we are only there to applaud or boo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some art makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, most I would think for me, but far from all.

      Delete
  14. I kind of love all the cutlery inside that long table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is quite a grand town hall. Very curious art! Something about colonialism, I guess? I would be perfectly happy to never eat blood pudding again. (I think I've only eaten it once.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dispossession of land etc etc. I don't think there is blood in that sausage. I would need to check.

      Delete
  16. The Priceline figurines are my favorite for sure. :) And I appreciate learning that pronunciation; the website offering hotel deals was all I could think of. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, it pronouncing it like gives it an exotic feel, rather than a price feel.

      Delete
  17. I thought the words on the chair were pretty eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't get the art either but would return for that British butchery shop, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, yes I think the butchers would be a very interesting shop to visit.

      Delete

Tram undulations

I've tried a few times to capture this but either the tram driver was driving slowly or a passenger stood up and blocked the view.  I go...