Friday, June 7, 2024

The social widower

Last Sunday I received a last minute invitation to join someone who I can't call a friend, but an acquaintance. He is a nice enough bloke, Malaysian born, not short of a penny and is a member of a posh tennis club starting with Ko. 

Ray was eight years older than me. P's partner was maybe fifteen years older than him. In 2017 they were on a ship cruise and one morning and P woke to find his partner dead in bed beside him. P was 39 and I can't imagine how he handled it all. It is hard enough for me. For anyone.

We had a lovely Sunday brunch together at HobbaHobba. I am not sure if it was me who kicked him off or just his memories of his partner, but he became quite emotional. He has tried a couple of new relationships but they were not successful. It did occur to me that as he said he likes older men that ??? Nah. I don't want another relationship. He is nice enough looking but there isn't the frisson there. He is a nice bloke, insisted on paying and we hugged as we said goodbye. It was nice.

The Mr Fixer who is organising the repainting, regrouting and recarpeting invited me and a gay resident in our building who I know well, out for dinner at Gentleman GeorgeGentleman George, across the road on Tuesday night. It was a great couple of hours, even if on the cheap steak night, the steak was a bit ordinary. My fellow building resident paid.

I can't remember if I mentioned it, I am sure I did, but Sister, Bone Doctor, Jo, Ray and myself went for dinner a couple of months ago to the Oriental Teahouse for dinnerOriental Teahouse for dinner. It was very nice, so when my gay former workmate suggested we have a meal Wednesday night, I asked if he would like to try the place. We did and it was very good and we had a nice time. He paid. I've given up arguing about such things. If someone offers, I just graciously accept. I used to always leave the messy business of money when we were out to Ray and the next day he would note down how much I owed him.

Thursday was a hospital appointment. Friday I will take the car out for weekly shopping, mainly to restock the wine cellar. (I did)

But the social hasn't finished. Saturday, Firefighting Nephew and his wife, and three children are visiting the Melbourne Aquarium for the two year old twin boy's birthday, and they have invited me to join them.  (twin make it singular, so boy's is correct and not boys'?) 

Sunday Jo is attending some Cos Play thing in Melbourne, with Bone Doctor driving her here, so I will have lunch with Bone Doctor. 

Best dash now. I've popped my dinner, Ginger lime fish curry with broccoli and brown rice into the microwave. 

But wait, as I was to set to publish, Hairdresser Friend called and asked if I'd like to have dinner with her tomorrow, well tonight as this is published, Saturday night. Of course. At my age, I take what is offered. 

50 comments:

  1. I think it's good you're getting out and socializing with friends. It's best to stay active because staying home alone can get to easy.
    And let them pay if they choose! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, so true. I do get out every day, even if just for coffee.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you have people who care about you and care about how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. boys' would be correct. There are two boys - plural.
    boy's would wrongly suggest that only one boy was having a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, as I thought YP. Normally if I focus, I know but the brain wasn't working well.

      Delete
    2. two boys, no apostrophe.

      Delete
    3. I hit publish too soon, when mentioning the birthday right after, you need the apostrophe, twin boys' birthday. On my own blog I just say twins, whether it is home, birthday, pram, whatever.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. A little too busy TP, but these things always come in waves.

      Delete
  5. This is so nice, you have some good friends and family. I have come to the same conclusion about being treated - if it's offered accept with good grace, makes things run more smoothly, nothing worse than wrangling over the bill.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I so agree with you. I used to worry about such things, always wanting to fair to others and to myself, but I stopped doing that and I no longer care.

      Delete
  6. I am glad the pedantic M. Pudding said what I was thinking regarding the ever annoying apostrophe situation.
    It is good that you are being wined and dined as any newly widowed person deserves. I look forward to doing likewise with you when it gets a bit warmer.
    Beneath this all I still sense your deep grief and weep for you and with you. Immerse yourself in your family and friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, you would think at our age we would have worked this out. I expect English as a second language people might do better. I paint a good picture don't I, as I soldier on, and it is mostly like that, but not always.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you're being invited out and about, and if they're inviting you as a guest, all the better. I doubt if you're up for more than casual social life yet, so I'm glad it's on offer. And that you're accepting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boud, it is hard to believe how kind people have been, in life and online., with boundaries blurred between the two.

      Delete
  8. Well done you - and all those around you. My social life hasn't been that busy in (literally) years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, ours used to always happen in bursts. At times we would be very happy to have a clear week on the calendar.

      Delete
  9. Your social life is way more active and interesting compared to mine. You are slowly readjusting your life to a new equilibrium

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your friends and acquaintances are taking very nice care of you, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're getting out and about with relatives and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One issue Kirk is that I am forgetting who I have told what. I hate repeating myself.

      Delete
  12. Good god Andrew what a whirl of social activity I am quite green with envy but delighted for you hitting the connecting button with other humans and enjoying yourself. It really helps I would think and also you are very well liked obviously and included in events. I'm a bit of a grammar nazi so it's boys'.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then next week there is nothing WWW, and I don't mind at all.

      Delete
    2. Boys' is right, but isn't it twin's, rather than twins'?

      Delete
  13. "Oriental Teahouse for dinner" is wrongly repeated above, a problem I have also faced for the last fortnight :(
    When you paste the url into your own typing, it repeats the words and underlines the new typing. Easy to delete your original typing, but irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hels. I should have worked that out myself, but then one blogger has the linking 'null' next to a link to her blog, so what to do with that.

      Delete
    2. leave the "null" and delete the name, the link will still work.

      Delete
  14. You will need a diary for your dinner/meal appointments Andrew. Isn't it wonderful to be invited out so many times by whomever. So many people are thoughtful which is lovely to include you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rely on my wall calendar, Margaret. It has been to nice to go out and have laughs.

      Delete
  15. twin is plural meaning two so it should be twin boys. Accept all invitations to keep up friendships so you don't become a sad and lonely old geezer, but I agree there is no need for a new relationship. Have fun at the Aquarium. Your fish curry sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twin boys played in the park.
      The twin boys' mother took them to the park.
      The twins' breakfast was ready.
      The twins ate their breakfast.
      (All of these sentences are correct)

      Delete
    2. River, no, twin is singular. It refers to one set of twins. There aren't two twins, well actually there is because of Hippie Niece's twins, so two sets of twins would be plural but pair of twins is singular. How can we expect others language people to know our English when we can't work it out ourselves. I'll not be an old man alone. The fish curry was nice. The aquarium visit, exhausting.

      Delete
    3. Third line YP. There is only one set of twins, so shouldn't it be twin's?

      Delete
    4. No. There's no sense of belonging. It's just a statement of fact. The twins ate their breakfast. Then the twins went out to play. Later the twins ambushed Uncle Andrew and climbed all over him. The twins were very happy.

      Delete
    5. Climbing all over Uncle Andrew came to pass. Don't the twins own their breakfast? Yeah, well. One twin's breakfast was ready but the other twin's was not. Forget it!

      Delete
    6. Thank you YP. Apostrophes are the trickiest of all to get right. So my twin boys' birthday was correct.

      Delete
  16. That is tremendous Andrew, that you have so many people in your life who care about you and want to do things with you and yeah, let them pay. I am very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, an avalanche the week past, but nothing this coming week.

      Delete
  17. It's nice that people are gathering around you, Andrew. It gives one faith in humans despite all the world issues.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you have such a strong network of supporters. It's got to make a huge difference! I looked up Gentleman George on Google Street View so I could see your neighborhood. I saw three high-rise apartment buildings across the street, one of which must be your home. Kind of fun -- like visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, out building looks quite shabby at the moment. I'll show some photos of work that's been completed soon.

      Delete
  19. I agree with Steve. It gladdens my heart to know you're keeping good company. By the way, my husband is eight years older than me and I dread the inevitable. Although, numerous times I've teased him that I'm going first and we have a silly mock argument. ~grin~ We're kind of strange that way. :) Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what we used to do Darla. Neither of us thought it would be so soon though.

      Delete
  20. You seem to be very popular in your social circle Andrew. Enjoy all your lunches and dinners :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few friends Sami, but what I have are good.

      Delete

The week that was

But in the meantime much was happening in the foreground for me, and not all particularly pleasurable.  A gay guy who I know through work, t...