Thursday, April 11, 2024

Sydney Day 5

Firstly back to  Day 4, as JacCee put it, (Mr) S Lut, the word on the bottom of the mirror was to advertise a brand of Vodka, Absolut, and a few letters had been removed, no doubt by patrons of the hotel. I am surprised no one picked that up. 

Today was R's actual birthday, a special one but not ending in zero but a five. We decided to visit the lovely Coogee Beach, with Coogee being the first place R lived when he arrived in Australia for a as a ten pound pom some fifty years ago, and he stayed beyond the required two years. The 373 bus trip to get there was fun with lots of curves and hills.  Coogee was quite busy, but also so quiet and peaceful.


I think everywhere we visited in Sydney, we could have done so by tram in the late 1950s. How much nicer that would be nowadays rather than buses. I was a bit surprised that there weren't many electric buses, but still noisy diesel buses spewing out their noise and filth. 





There was plenty of quality seating for old people, and for us. 

There are lots of places to eat at Coogee but R had noticed a kiosk as we arrived on the bus, and we had a nice brunch there with surprisingly good coffee. If the local council is responsible for the beach frontage, a first class badge to it.


OMG, the guy on the left of this cropped photo was smoking hot. He and a mate sat together on the steps below us. Everything about him was so stylishly cultivated, yet not a hint of being gay. Famous sports person maybe? I was too slow with my camera. Sometimes it is best to just admire nice artwork.


I know how to give R a birthday dinner with style, a bus and a hamburger. C'mon lovey, we'll catch the 311 bus to Woolloomooloo. I had booked the restaurant a few weeks earlier. Being a Friday night, so many places did not take bookings, but this one did. We were joined by our two friends in Sydney and it was a lovely evening. I did concede to catching a cab back to our hotel. 



Finger Wharf is comprised of a wharf for very expensive looking boats, with the building on the ground floor hosting restaurants and above some very expensive apartments. 




With city views.


The restaurants were very busy.

One person chose something else but three of us chose hamburgers. We all agreed they were the best hamburgers we'd ever eaten. The hamburger bun was black but let me put it delicately, the burger led to a green output the next morning. 


Rounded off for R and myself with an affogato each. Ice cream, with strong coffee and Frangelico poured over. Elements was good. Did it cost a bomb? Yes. Was it good? Yes. Did R enjoy his birthday? Yes. I tried really hard to be a person who would say, 'It's only money'. 

44 comments:

  1. What a beautiful area and what a grand way to celebrate R's bday. Belated Happy, R.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that R had a good day. And hope you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I was so apprehensive about how the evening would work out, but it just worked. I did put serious effort into the evening. I did enjoy it once we reached the wharf.

      Delete
  3. You done good Andrew. It sounds as if r's birthday was a nice celebration. The hamburger buns made me laugh. I think it was burger king who rolled out the black bunned burgers as a halloween promotion. There was quite a bit of publicity about the after effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about the after effect of Burger King black buns. I did do good, but it was a bit stressful before hand.

      Delete
  4. A great birthday day out.
    By coincidence my uncle and aunt lived in Coogee when they arrived as £10 Poms in the 60s. We stayed with them there on our first ever visit in 1968 and loved it. Fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, half an hour from the city, and yet Coogee is so peaceful. I'm sure you took camera photos of your good visit.

      Delete
  5. I have yet visited Coogee beach but it is a haven for photographers in general. Your meals in the evening look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend a visit Roentare, and also Balmoral Beach.

      Delete
  6. Nicely done, sir, giving R a grand outing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a good time was had by all!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew a few ten pound poms at the other end of the trip. Leaving forever, really, parents crying but saying it's the right thing, there's nothing here for you. Poignant memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boud, that is why R left northern England. He felt there was nothing there for him, and yes, great sadness was involved. While England has changed so much since, he has no regrets about leaving.

      Delete
  9. As we get older it is important to remember it is only money. We deserve to spoil ourselves now and again. I prefer my affogato with a less sweet liqueur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, so can you tell me how long I will live? Then I can work out my finances properly. My preference is Scotch, but the liqueur was not for our choosing.

      Delete
  10. You did a great job with his birthday!!! I could see that beach, smell the salt air, and taste that dessert you had at the end of the black bun burger dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I was so pleased all of us really liked our meals. Best burgers ever, was what was said.

      Delete
  11. I must try one of those Affogatos one day. I'm glad the birthday dinner went well, but I'm not sure I'd eat a black burger bun. Was it flavoured? Anissed? Hmm. Coogee beachfront is very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, no taste of aniseed. I was surprised at the colour of the bun, but it tasted fine. I didn't photograph it this time, but there is a huge grassed area at the beach front.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I would normally trust you with spelling, but I didn't this time. It looked wrong.

      Delete
  13. I have never heard of Finger Wharf, but Sydney clearly does some things VERY well - classy restaurants facing the water, expensive residences above, city views and special boats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly Hels, the naval base is so close by. Eastern Sydney is just wonderful, if you can afford to live there or visit there.

      Delete
  14. It so good R enjoyed his birthday...can't see that hot guy, too small..
    Lovely dinning room there at Elements, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, he did and I was pleased. Re the guy, I was too slow with the camera.

      Delete
  15. Must try Elements one day. However it’s really really hard to go past China Doll there. Went there for my 60th, and have been a number of times since. Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Marie. I hope you will be more food adventurous at Elements than we were. I think I remember seeing China Doll when we walked the length of the wharf.

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday to R. You gave him a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did JB, and he was happy, but it hasn't stopped him being cranky at times.

      Delete
  17. That was a nice birthday, Sidney seems to be a nice town, a big one too ! I don't know what happens but I don't get comments in my emails, that's very annoying. I followed all rules without any success, so I have to use the reading list, in short it's not easy ! To comment I have found out ! Each time Google "makes it better" it's getting worse !i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, both Sydney and Melbourne are around 5 million people each. They are big cities but not compact and stretch for many kilometres. I've stopped trying to work out what Google and Blogger do. It works for me at the moment.

      Delete
  18. Looks like fun, someone here turns 70 this fall, I asked him to tell me where in the world he would like to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, I hope the answer wasn't, 'just at home'.

      Delete
  19. Why was the burger bun black?! What's up with that?

    Looks like nice scenery in every sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/black-burger-green-poop-why-halloween-whopper-has-odd-effect/

      Delete
    2. Steve, it's some kind of gimmick I guess. It tasted normal. Yes, there was some very nice scenery that day.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Debby. That was an interesting read.

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful day you had for R's birthday. We did burgers for my birthday and I think it is a fine meal for a special occasion as I usually try not to eat red meat a lot. Love your tour of the day, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I expect we have halved our red meat consumption over the last decade or so. It's not a bad thing.

      Delete

ANZAC night life changing

I will write in the future of the aftermath but here is the timeline of the night and what happened. It really helps me to write.  We had a ...