Saturday, April 6, 2024

Sydney Day 3

Over the the lunch the day before, it was suggested to us that we might like to see the Banksy exhibition at Sydney Town Hall. That evening after returning to our digs after our light Portuguese dinner, I booked tickets for 11 the next day. We arrived a bit early and having walked from our hotel, my arthritis had really kicked in and I had to find a seat with with a backrest for a few minutes. We were let in early.

After the exhibition we walked on to Darling Harbour, once a must see place for visitors to Sydney. We walked up a long ramp and I had a suspicion there was a lift. R confirmed it once we reached the top. 

Darling Harbour was just a large space with nothing there aside from construction hoardings. The Chinese Garden is still there but we've seen that a couple of times, as nice as it is. 

So, nothing to see here. The L1 tram is on the other side. We'll catch that back to the city and make our way back to our hotel. But before we reached the tram stop, there was a cab rank. Nodding towards the rank I said, "Yes?" R replied, "Yes". 

The taxi driver was very chatty, and after he learnt we were tourists, went on about various places. He said some American tourists like to see the fish markets at 5am. Would we like to do that? I remained silent. He kept banging about various tourist places in Sydney and I had tuned out until he said, 'And they walk a pig around'. I was now focused. I had a name and a suburb and I investigated once back at our hotel. 

That evening we were a bit exited about our expected dinner venue, the Masala Bowl, Pitt Street in Sydney. If the staff had set out to annoy us, the succeeded very well and I think for only the second time we've ever walked out of a restaurant after ordering. I think it was our fourth visit to Masala Bowl and the last. We were very disappointed.

We had some fine Thai food at the restaurant at the bottom of our hotel, which is also a training school for restaurant staff and chefs.

A morning visitor, tame enough to sit on R's hand while we tried to feed it some dry cracker crumbs, which is all we had to feed it. The bird hurt his skin but didn't puncture it. This Polly variation did not want a cracker. 



I never understood what this was about as we entered the Banksy exhibition.


Aside from this kind of Banksy work, I did not know he had created many works of art that sell for great sums of money, enough money for him to buy a large boat to rescue refuges in the Mediterranean. (I can't believe my fingers got the spelling of Meditteranian correct. Lol, I didn't do it a second time).
 

This may have been my favourite.





This is cutting. Have you seen the clip of the naked Vietnamese child running after being covered in napalm? 


 A plainer soup variety than Warhol's Campbell's Soup.




I remember John Gray of Wales putting up this photo once. I didn't realise it was a Banksy. 



You can't really see the water action in the photo but the Darling Harbour fountain was working with visibly hundreds of tourists flocking to see it in action, as you can see in the photo. There isn't too much bad about the tourist areas of Sydney, but from its first inception decades ago, Darling Harbour has been a big fail. 


Cycle lanes are being built in Oxford Street, along with drainage renewal, but let's just blame the cycling lanes for the disruptions. The lineal work site was so locked down, fenced off and guarded, what really is the point of these signs? Ridiculous overkill. 
 

39 comments:

  1. I really, really envy you seeing the Banksy exhibition. My eyes are glowing green. His take on the dreadful napalm photo is on the money too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, no doubt the exhibition will come to Melbourne. Have you checked if it might come to you?

      Delete
  2. Polly wants a four-course meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, and we weren't buying half a kilo of bird seed to satisfy its four-course meal desire.

      Delete
  3. I too am green with envy over the Banksy exhibition. I wonder if I could book a flight down to Sydney in time to see it before it closes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice idea JayCee but we've just been to Sydney so you wouldn't get to meet us....maybe not a bad thing.

      Delete
  4. I am heading to NGV for a free show there. Mainly to snap some abstract shots there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Roentare? I wonder what the free show is?

      Delete
  5. Oh cool love polly and what a great exhibition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, we did enjoy the exhibition but there was so much to see.

      Delete
  6. What stunning artwork. We were blessed to visit the Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania here in the United States. Best wishes, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be good to see Darla. I have a vague recollection of seeing an exhibition of his work here many years ago.

      Delete
  7. Sydney is a beatiful city, especially around the harbour. Didn't know Darling Harbour is dead. I went to banksy exhibition in Brisbane and I love his work. He isn't happy with his work being put into exhibitions. He says they need to be seen where he painted them. Bad luck about the poor service in the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, much as I love my city, if I was asked for advice from an overseas tourist who had never been to Australia, I could only say, don't miss Sydney. That's interesting about Banksy and I didn't know that. He doesn't mind creating works and selling them and making hundreds of thousands or more.

      Delete
  8. That poor child's image is seared into my brain. That is a shocking use of it, but boy...the truth of it...

    Do you know she is alive and gives talks? I believe she lives in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does live in Canada, Anon and she is 60 now. Google 'napalm girl' and the info is all there.

      Delete
  9. The overkill is necessary because without the signs some idiots are bound to climb those fences and hurt themselves and then try to sue the city. I've heard quite a bit about the Banksy exhibitions and now that I have seen your pictures I don't see any need to visit such an exhibition for myself. Shame about the Masala Bowl restaurant though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes. Protecting the city is the only reason for the signs. In court they would say there were many warning signs. It's strange I didn't think of this myself. Well, my selection of images satisfies you, so that is not so bad.

      Delete
  10. The little boy (it looks like one), that's cute.
    Shame about the meal you didn't get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that picture was probably my favourite.

      Delete
  11. His work is always thought provoking. I have been fortunate to see a few of his pieces in situ before they were removed. Sorry about the disappointing meal. What a let down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, yes there was a bit of a fuss last week about a new Banksy on the side of a property, with barricades being put up to protect it to the point it was almost impossible to properly see.

      Delete
  12. I love the parrot.S/he must be quite an atttraction.
    I like the Banksy paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, the lorikeets? are quite common and we don't get too excited about them, but tame ones who will feed from your hand are a step above.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the Banksy pictures. He came from Bristol, and I used to walk the dog with someone who was the mother of a lad who was friends with Banksy and wrote a book about him. My one claim to knowing someone famous, twice removed ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma, that is better than six degrees of separation. It feels weird typing your name when my mother had the same name.

      Delete
  14. Looks like an interesting place to spend a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to experience and see TP. More like a month.

      Delete
  15. I do love banksy but not enough to make the trek to the city when I have contacts to take photos!
    I walked out of a restaurant tonight: I walked in and it didn't look as I remembered. Then I realised I was next door.
    Seriously though, what a disappointment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, arm chair travelling and viewing can be very tempting.
      As we left the restaurant, I expect we almost thought we had visited a different place to what we so fondly remembered.

      Delete
  16. I do like Banksy's clever art, but I think it's more effective on the streets where it belongs. Bummer about the restaurant and Darling Harbour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally I agree Steve but I also feel some of it is so good, it needs to be kept and not left to decay.

      Delete
  17. There is supposed to be a Banksy exhibit here this year and I found your pics so intriguing that I will have to go for sure.
    Too bad about the restaurant, Andrew. Were they snarky with you or was the place dirty or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, there was so much to see at the exhibition, so do go if you have the chance.
      I'm sure it was nothing directly personal towards us really, although it can feel like it, and it was clean. We are just not pushy types like some are. No doubt had we made our displeasure known, we would have been given immediate and attentive service, but generally it is not our way. We expect good service without having to make a scene.

      Delete
  18. The little boy flying around the nurse super hero instead of a make believe one from his toys, well I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must get our tickets for the Banksy exhibit here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it will be the same exhibition Jackie. I expect so.

      Delete

The aftermath

Friday, I paced the apartment, closing Ray's bedroom door and then opening it. It is closed at the moment, and to be sensible it will sa...