Sunday, February 4, 2024

Sunday Selections

I'm joining with River and others for this week's Sunday Selections and this week it is about random buildings.

It's such a shame this photo is crooked. It is a lovely apartment block in Ripponlea. I wonder why I was there. 


A stroll down, I think, Osborne Street, South Yarra. A slim fit.


Because of flat roofs and lower ceiling heights, three storey buildings can be not much higher than a two storey building they may have replaced.


There must have been quite a few demolitions in the street. I am surprised there isn't a heritage overlay. 


I think this building is in East Melbourne. Being timber and being preserved is quite unusual. The land would be worth a lot and lot of money. Later edit: This may be called Osborne House, or once was. After conflicting information, I think it is best I write nothing about what I found out beyond the visible timber was pre-cut and imported from America. 


Best to return in winter when the leaves have fallen. Well, I'd need to remember where it is. Ah, I  embiggened the photo and it is the Equity Trustees building. Apparently its interior is very original and in excellent condition. 


The old  Ball and Welch building in Flinders Street. Ball and Welch was a successful department store and was bought by another department store, Georges in 1970. Georges closed all other Ball and Welch stores, and finally this one in 1976. The company was no more. Georges as we knew it has gone too now. A shopping centre was built within the building called Flinders Fair but it failed and the building is now offices for some conservative pro business anti worker and anti social reform lobby group.


A bit further along Flinders Street is the  Masonic Club Building. I don't think I've ever met a Mason who has the hand of someone who does masonry work. 


The Forum Theatre, originally the State Theatre. It is now owned by David Mariner group of companies and externally is in very poor condition. However, I believe the exterior will receive some much needed work. I don't know about the interior although a few years ago floor coverings were lifted to reveal a beautiful mosaic floor, and this was very carefully restored. Click on the photo. Its exterior is rather...busy.

Later edit: I think these were all taken with my old phone, hence they look somewhat dull.

18 comments:

  1. Forum theatre exterior is iconic for black and white photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Roentare. What a pity its falling to bits.

      Delete
  2. That is an interesting selection of buildings. The slim fit one is incredibly narrow. If it is the same width all the way back I wonder if it feels a little claustrophobic inside? I have seen similar constructions in London where space is also at a premium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't answer your question about the slim fit house but it amazing at what can be fitted into a small space. I should think it is larger at its rear.

      Delete
  3. That's some fascinating architecture. I enjoyed the images and history. Don't feel bad about the crooked picture. Some folks tilt the angle on purpose. ~nods~ I hope your cut is healing well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see Darla, I didn't die from my cut. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Stalker
    Andrew terrific photos as usual
    Just love the old buildings . All will probably have high ceilings.which I love . We did the 100 plus old cottage thing until 20 years ago, beautiful old high ceilings walls as thick as . When we couldn’t extend due to council regs bought a new houses 3ks away, our first requirement was high ceilings.which it has. We call it neo Tuscan !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stalker, sandstone? 3km away from a very old house means you aren't too far from the city. Neo Tuscan sounds very malarka.

      Delete
  5. The East Melbourne building looks like it might have been a school.
    I have been to some interesting shows at the Forum. One being my son's final production from his film degree and another was Puppetry of the Penis. Not at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, I believe it was used as a girls school in the late 19th century. Thanks for the separation of shows. I can't even imagine what it might be like to see a son in Puppetry of the Penis. I wonder if any parent ever has?

      Delete
  6. The first three city buildings are delightful, just how Melbourne should have always stayed. But the fourth city building, the Forum Theatre, did not fit on and still doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I totally agree. The Forum stands alone. Someone in the 19thc was making an architectural statement and not a particularly good one.

      Delete
  7. They don't look at all dull to me, but I don't have perfect vision.
    The thought of lower ceilings makes me think of the small and stuffy rooms in some of the tiny places I grew up in, with wood stoves in the kitchens and tiny windows. Ceilings too high, on the other hand, do make it harder to heat the rooms in winter.
    That last one certainly is a busy facade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, our farm house had such high ceilings that a clothes rack to dry clothes could be raised by pulleys and not be a head hazard. Our apartment is a mix of high and low ceilings. I'll explain one day.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful buildings, don't think they are too dull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I think my new phone makes photos artificially bright, but that is fine with me.

      Delete
  9. Interesting selection of buildings. There doesn't seem to be much thought given to how new buildings or renovations will fit in with established places - I think that's true of most towns/cities. London is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that JB, because I think the UK does it better than here and other countries. In the early 2000s when we were in London, a late friend resident in Australia gave us the address of where he worked at an 'offy' and the address of where he lived near his work. It was somewhere off Edgware Road. We investigated and there was no sign of the liquor shop or anywhere where it could have been. It was the same for where he lived. Nothing matched, yet everything looked old and original. All very strange and it seems his flat and workplace had been absorbed in some way. When I next saw him I mentioned an ornate water fountain we came across along the way, and he remembered that.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...