Saturday, February 3, 2024

Point Lonsdale, good bye

Friday was our last full day in Point Lonsdale. What to do? Sister has lived there for about 14 years. We've seen and experienced it all.

Portarlington is nice. We will visit there and as I set off I thought we should drive via Drysdale. Bone Doctor attends there I don't know how often to treat sports medicine patients. Drysdale is also the Bellarine Railway terminus. 

For once R didn't say he wasn't interested in history as I theorised about how people used to travel to the Bellarine Peninsula by steamer ferries for holidays. I think the train line opening from Melbourne to Queenscliff killed off the steamer ferries. If there wasn't a train change at Geelong, I expect it would have taken around 90 minutes, which would be very competitive with ferries.  

The train to Queenscliff didn't close down until 1975, when many country train lines closed in our state, without a Beeching report. Part of the railway track was turned into a cycling trail and some was retained where the tourist railway runs, from Drysdale to Queenscliff. The Q Train experiences sound great. A train at Drysdale was loading for a lunch run and the attractive and friendly young train platform gate attendant welcomed us to platform for 'a look'. Many had already boarded and even before noon, they were getting stuck into to the wine. They were determined to get their money's worth. R suggested we should take the trip at some point in the future. No children were visible.

We had a nice brunch at a Portarlington cafe, went to a local supermarket for a couple of things and headed back to Sister's. 

Dinner was at the nice enough at the Ocean Grove Bowling Club, a recommendation by Sister. The dining area was booked out so we had a meal in the public bar. 

The grape vine Triffids are coming. It's time to go home, as we did the next day. 



How's your Latin? Nautis must mean sea.


Drysdale was larger than I remembered. All along the main street were a mix of elms or plane trees, and flowering gum trees, in full flower as we drove past. They looked marvellous. 

25 comments:

  1. A pretty place.
    My very rusty schoolgirl Latin plus Google translate suggests that sivn means a very safe harbour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Andrew, thank you for the great photos and history. Be well!

      Delete
    2. JayCee, I did translate it a few days ago but I forget what the translation said exactly, but you are correct.

      Delete
    3. I'm pleased you appreciated my posts Darla.

      Delete
  2. The area gives the coastal chic vibe. The brush bottle looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coastal chic vibe. I must use to my sister, Roentare.

      Delete
  3. The Q Train coordinates with the ferries from Docklands and from Mornington Peninsula. Perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, indeed and blogmate Cathy took the ferry and train last year. I sent a link to the trip to R but he was unresponsive but now he has seen the train, he likes the idea of the train at least.

      Delete
  4. It is always lovely to see a place through another person's eyes. You do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the street looked beautiful with the trees in bloom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply stunning Margaret. I've never seen so many of those flowering gums together in one place before.

      Delete
  6. A very dull grey day here so your bright sunlit pics are wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. We have our share of grey days, even now in our supposedly hottest month.

      Delete
  7. I like flowering gums but I'm not a fan of the gumnuts dropped all over the footpaths and roads when the flowers finish. Is that a little cubbyhouse in the backyard at Sister's ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, they are a hard nut, I know. Yes, Jo's old cubby house. Full of junk now. How much junk can three people accumulate?

      Delete
    2. Hah! You should see the junk this ONE person has accumulated.

      Delete
  8. Nautilus was the name of Captain Nemo's sub, so seem "Nautis" must mean sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, not Captain Nemo, but I did know nautilus is related to the sea.

      Delete
  9. A nice day to finish your days away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, it was a nice brief break. Change of scenery and all that. I would do it again if we were asked but perhaps not midwinter. Only the lounge room is heated. We feel the cold now.

      Delete
  10. Sometimes doing nothing, is the best way to spend a day away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, my partner would certainly agree with you. Me, I need to do things. I can't just sit and do nothing.

      Delete
  11. A street lined with flowering trees sounds good to me, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...