Thursday, January 11, 2024

To toon with Jo

We took Jo into town to see the Myer Christmas windows. The queues were too long. I think we brunched at Lincontro, then took her to her to see the singing reindeer, and then Fed Square to see the Christmas Tree and other Federation Square decorations.

It was then on to the National Gallery of Victoria to see an outdoor installation behind the building, where last summer or the one before we took the cafe latte coloured twins to wade in the pool with pink water.

This a very old pic and I correctly thought Jo had not seen it. I mentioned it had been very hot in Sydney and look what happened to the Mr Whippy van. She made an expression as she would have to a dad joke. 


Captain Cratehead mapped the coast of Australia, not perfectly but very well.



As we entered the gallery past the water wall, I said to Jo, "Go on. I know you want to". She knew what I meant and promptly put her hand on the glass with water running over it. Interesting larger than life statues greeted us at the gallery.



This was rather underwhelming. It is a sphere that partially deflates then pumps up again to full size. I am not sure what I expected it to really do.


There is always  something interesting behind the water wall.


We then took her to slightly subversive Dangerfield where we paid for what she chose as Christmas present. Unlike her mothers, she is a dress and skirt person. She bought a white see through dress with a satin looking lining. It looked nice and she wore it Boxing Day. The tax fraud logo is written in the style and colours of I think our social security department. 

36 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE that melting Mr Whippy van!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first saw the same lower resolution picture a decade ago. I am surprised that you and so many below haven't seen it.

      Delete
  2. I really like the melted Mr Whippy Van. I am glad that Jo liked her Christmas present and looked good in it. And I am sure she enjoyed her day with you despite the 'dad joke'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That melted van is great! Any idea what it's made of? (And I don't mean ice cream.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture has been around for so long Kirk, it can't be AI generated but it will be created by a clever person with great skills.

      Delete
  4. Well, like the first three commenters I was really taken with the melted Mr Whippy van.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The standards at Myers Windows are deteriorating over the years. The sculptures are very nice especially Mr Cratehead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, not always but of late the windows seem so commercial. Hey, you've seen the display, come inside and buy the merch. No doubt young men were responsible for Captain Cratehead. Fun, and no damage.

      Delete
  6. Melting from below. Must be on a hot surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Tasker. When the heat rising from pavement strikes you.

      Delete
  7. I would love to tag along on some of your outings:)
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember those impressive, larger than life statues in front of the gallery. Are they permanently there or it is a changing presentation of statues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, as you enter the gallery, the immediate focus is changed often. They will be removed at some point and something new placed.

      Delete
  9. That first photo is amazing kind of makes me smile.
    Interesting photos Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I thought everyone would have already seen the first photo.

      Delete
  10. The melting Mr Whippy van is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I should just put up that photo without commentary. A version of the photo is so old.

      Delete
  11. Jo had a good time with you. I'm sure she loved her dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, old men and a smart teenage lass can still connect, kind of.

      Delete
  12. I still remember the waterwall. I LOVE the melted Mr Whippy :)
    Jo's dress of choice sounds nice and brngs a memory of when my mum made similar dresses for me and my older sister, hers had a pink underlining and mine was more peachy coloured and the dresses had sashes to match the linings, I think I was five or six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice thing to remember from a very young age River. You are not so old but I think you were much younger when your mother died.

      Delete
  13. Interesting photos and artworks. The Mr. Whippy van is fabulous. (Did you actually see that sculpture or was it something you found online?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, the photo I just came across online, but the same has been around for many years. This one is higher resolution.

      Delete
  14. That Mr. Whippy van is hilarious! The ball? It would be funnier if it made that long drawn out farting noise that balloons make when they deflate. A little imagination would turn that right into a show stopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, that is a funny idea about about the ball. Wouldn't kids just love that.

      Delete
  15. That white sphere behind the Henry Moore figure sounds a bit underwhelming. Love those large statues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, yes I thought the statues were very good.

      Delete
  16. How lovely to get her what she wanted and that Whippy van is a hoot.
    Dad jokes are always memorabilia for the young 'uns..
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...