Friday, September 8, 2023

Tradie Visit

We, well I had been dreading this but R was insistent. This exhaust fan has four inlets, from the bathroom, the toilet, my ensuite and the clothes dryer, the latter blocked off as we don't have an air blowing dryer any more. Over the years it has become noisier and noiser. At one stage it ceased to be effective and when I investigated, the fins were completed choked by dust. It was just a rotating wheel, rather than an extraction fan. I cleaned the fins as best I could and I have a scar on my hand to prove it. The bathroom glass at the side of the bath was vibrating. 



Our electrician mentioned worst case, ceiling plaster cut to remove it and a direct replacement installed. I thought it would be hours and hours of work.

Nope. The rather attractive electricians thought very laterally. They removed the old fan and motor from the casing and cut into the large exhaust tube leaving the box intact by access using the hole they cut a few years ago for the bathroom heat lamps. They installed the new unit where the exhaust tube was cut. What I thought might be two days of work turned out to be one and a half hours, plus they had a break for lunch and to pick up the new unit. 

Say two hours labour for two staff plus the cost of the new unit. In our own worst case scenario it could have cost $2,000. It will be a good bit less, I am sure. I would expect about $1,000. 

We've always used this electrician company here. They are just so professional, while I am sure they aren't particularly cheap. 

30 comments:

  1. Best to pay someone you trust will do it properly than someone who does the minimum they can get away with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, the company has proved itself over about nine different visits here over twenty years.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to have a tradie visit over earlier than expected and cheaper too. Win/win. And hooray for reliable firms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it was such a satisfying day for us. The day we receive the bill won't be but we won't really begrudge paying.

      Delete
  3. How come you get rather attractive tradesmen and I only seem to get the ones who appear to have eaten too many pies and wear baggy jeans that show too much bottom cleavage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, there is a formula for crack exposure, something like age and weight over what pleases the eye or not.

      Delete
  4. I replaced my heater early this year. It cost me 8k AUD for the replacement. Installation cost me 2k. Yet, I barely turned it on. At least you got a looker to install it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $10K for central heating. Mein gott. I will cease to complain about costs. Yes, the looker was a bonus.

      Delete
  5. Do you pay extra for the attractive installer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly Bob. The owner is still nice looking enough and knows the score so probably sent his most attractive pair, though mind, the last one before he sent was a woman.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it is good to pay a premium price for a job done well. People often say you pay for what you get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I don't know if we are paying a premium but certainly it will be a fair price, but on the higher side. We are not complaining.

      Delete
  7. A job well done. A nice view. Seems worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, all the the problems you can imagine ran through my head. In about ten minutes they told us how it would happen and work. It's like doing work at home when you don't have the proper tools that you know would make the job simple.

      Delete
  8. So you choose companies by the quality of their work, the cost of the job or the looks of the installers? I would say all three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, we are practical really, so yes the quality of their work. Looks are just a bonus. You know the bastard not only had the looks, he was charming, helpful, listened, reassuring and just a really nice guy, the kind of man you'd like to have babies with for so many reasons.

      Delete
  9. Well done on getting the work done so efficiently. Well worth the extra money as I am sure they also guarantee what they did?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, we've never had call to test that but I would imagine so.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like their professionalism paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job! Pay cheap, pay twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, that goes for measuring too. When I installed the peep hole in our front door, I measured twice and still got it wrong. Our glazier who replaced the glass in the balcony door did too, though he measured once and 'memorised' the measurement.

      Delete
  12. No comments on how the workmen looked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of commenters mentioned tradie looks. See my reply to Sparkling Merlot above.

      Delete
  13. This sounds like a group to hang onto for future work. Glad it worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will Pat, but I can't see there being much in the future.

      Delete
  14. Did you also arrange to have the new unit checked and cleaned on a regular basis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No River. As far as I can tell it is is only accessible by dropping down the light/heat lamp unit. I think it will outlast us before it needs cleaning.

      Delete
  15. It's always peace of mind when you can rely on tradesmen to do the job well - the cost is often not an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, if it is a stress free process for us, we are happy to pay.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...