Monday, August 21, 2023

The day has come

Today we make our final goodbye to Mother. All of us have had our moments and she has been constantly on our minds.

R's sisters in England sent a beautiful bunch of flowers which R managed to squash into a vase. Later he separated them and rearranged them. They arrived while we were out shopping and returned home with our weekly flowers, that day a bunch of yellow roses



One bunch divided into three.




The Tuesday after R lunched with a former workmate and she gave him this small metal bucket of viola. So we've had flowers galore.


Mother's birthday present for R in March was a rather nice jumper. He has worn it a few times. Our last Christmas present was the guide dog calendar. Mother always kept us well supplied with guide dog tea towels, until they began making them overseas. 

With a little editing to protect the guilty and innocent, here is my speech for today's funeral. I've read what my brothers will say at the funeral but not Sister. I thought to lighten it all with a bit of humour and I will perhaps be able to get through this without cracking. 

-----

My memories of my 89 year old mother will remain strong, but my memories of a much younger mum are not forgotten.

I was seven years old when Mum rode our Christmas present, a new scooter down the long hallway of our farmhouse singing, “From Mummy and Daddy to A and G”.

She wasn't called Nanny Fud without reason. Once she mistakenly opened a stranger's car door and sat in the passenger seat while waiting for L (Stepfather). She rolled down Venus Bay sand dunes and another time careered out of control as she rapidly descended a hill and crashed into bushes at the bottom.

Her incident with the Pizza Hut soft serve icecream dispensing machine not stopping and her filling cup after cup with icecream was a classic (Very Lucy Ricardo).While we rolled our eyes so often, Mum's antics did make us laugh. These things could only happen to my mother.

She was a loving mother and at times gave each of us wise advice and comfort. I treasure the memories of my fun, stylish and vivacious mum.

Bye bye Mum. Travel well. 


27 comments:

  1. Travel well indeed. I like your speech and love that you are highlighting the fun side.
    Good luck today - and cracking is not a weakness. And is likely to happen. Look after yourself and celebrate your much loved mum..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. My mom been gone for little over 23 years. Sure we had our ups and downs. What I miss is her wisdom and humor.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mum is a treasure in the family. Wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your mum love labradors herself or was she just supporting a worthwhile organisation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remembering the younger Mum is lovely. Sometimes we tend to forget those people when we are dealing with their difficult, older selves and then they are gone and the happy memories can return.
    I will be thinking of you today, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My best wishes. Your remembrances are touching and they would delight your mother, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful and I hope you do get through it without cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it a lot, Andrew, your goodbye mom speech. The ice cream machine malfunction is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Andrew, you have my sincere condolences. I love your memoriam to your mother and I'm sure she would love it too. Hugs
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this Andrew, You brought your younger mum to life for me and boy, she sounded fun. May she soar with the stars and be bright in the sky for her boy.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. There’s something about flowers that seems to soften those difficult times…thinking of you and your family on this sad day.

    Here’s a few soft words for you - come fairies, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame
    WBYeats

    ReplyDelete
  12. What you've written to be read by you is wonderful, I got a laugh I did and I'm smiling and hoping that you are ok Andrew. I'm thinking of you and R today.
    The flowers are beautiful...Hugs xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mum left in 2015. They are treasures. No one can take their place in any family. My condolences. Take care, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always good to remember those happy times. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Warm, loving speech. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good speech. My mother's funeral didn't have her children making speeches, and that's a good thing, because I don't know what I would have said.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a lovely way to remember your mum. I hope that you all find comfort today in sharing good memories..

    ReplyDelete
  18. "memories of my 89 year old mother will remain strong, but my memories of a much younger mum are not forgotten."
    This is so beautifully said and such a great intro to a eulogy.
    You will be well into post funeral exhaustion now but I'm sure it went well.
    Your mum sounds like a lively woman

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such wonderful memories of your "younger mother". It was a beautiful eulogy Andrew. A hug to you and R.

    ReplyDelete
  20. She sounds like she was a wonderful, funny, woman. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a very touching remembrance, funny and poignant both. (I can just imagine the Pizza Hut scene!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You speech is perfect to lighten the day and to remember your Mum as she was most of her life. Thinking of you today, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are good words Andrew. I hope that you managed to deliver them as planned. They are not over-sentimental words but celebratory - remembering her as she was in the midst of life, having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your words paint a lovely picture of your Mum. Somehow I get the impression she would really approve and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I put a lot of thought and heart into writing a eulogy for my mother back in 2017. It went well because I took off my eyeglasses so my speech felt like another rehearsal with all the attendants being a blur. lol Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are wonderful memories to have of your mother. I can picture the malfunctioning ice cream dispenser from your description.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...