Tuesday, June 27, 2023

England 08/05

While York Station was quite attractive I thought the forecourt entrance was rather disgusting and really needs an overhaul. Grubby, grimy, grim, ghastly, gross...you get the idea. 

The station roof from a distance was stunning. 

Our first night we dined at our hotel and that was fine. The buffet breakfast was included and next morning we really enjoyed the breakfast together. Sister 1 and her partner headed off toward the city centre while we returned to York Station to meet our friend from London, Marie, who had travelled up from London to just see us and keep company for a few hours. 

The internet can be a bad place for some but wow, has it given me some wonderful experiences. Just by she finding my blog and/or I finding hers, we connected and we met up in London several years ago. We met again in London in 2019. I hope she is not reading this because what I will say is Marie is intelligent, smart, knowledgeable, non judgemental, caring and best of all great company, good for a laugh and just such a nice person to keep company with. Her blogs are  62 and the next 10 pathways, detailing her visits to the areas surrounding every London overground stations and a more personal blog After 60 the next ten Part 2: 70 and onwards, mostly about her travels and visits to English attractions. 

These are a mix of photos, some from the evening before. 




Not a Disney or Mattel toy to be seen.



The evening before, a ghost walk tour group assembled. 


The light was fading as one of us took this snap of York Minster. 


The Micklegate Bar (gate) near our hotel. 


We caught a taxi with Marie to the centre of town. She is fit and would have walked. We are not. I think we just wandered, chatting away and not taking too much notice of anything. Marie suggested we might lunch at this place, Ask Italian. 


It was just a weekday but quite busy. I doubt tourism ever stops in York. While it looks quite grand, the prices were reasonable, the food good and the service excellent. I recommend Ask Italian in York. 


We wandered about some more and then the three of us met up with Sister 1 and her partner for afternoon tea at Bennett's Cafe. I think afterwards we wandered some more with Marie and we were near a taxi rank where she could catch a cab to the station to return to London. No, she walked from there to the station. It was just so lovely to see her again.

This is a bit of a Shambles



This statue looks new at York Minster, and it is.


We were back in town with the sister for dinner at York's oldest hotel, a title that seems to be claimed by a number of such venues. I think the pub was Ye Olde Starre Inne. Damning with faint praise, it was ok.

Over dinner Sister told us that her grandson who was staying in her house to look after her cat had locked himself out and as such the cat was alone and would be until two days later when she returned. The cat had some dry food to eat, but not a lot. Sister 1 had recently needed her spare keys kept by her son and she had not returned them. Her first born grandson not only locked himself out, but his phone and wallet with his transport pass, university card and bank cards were all in his wallet. He was close to tears when he spoke to his grandmother and confessed how stupid he had been. Hey, none of us have ever locked ourselves out, have we. He is not an outgoing lad and in spite of his parents having Geordie accents, he does not. His accent is very neutral British. R did once engage him in conversation at an earlier family gathering. He is also a musician, although I don't know details. 

Sister 1 told us about what they had done that day before we met for afternoon tea, and I was gobsmacked at how far they had walked. There were repercussions. 

We met up before our hotel breakfast the next day and overnight Sister 1's partner had a bad angina attack, and along with her cat being locked in alone at home, they were cutting short and had booked train seats later that morning to return home. 

After breakfast they checked out and headed for the station. R and I were all alone. In spite of our concern at their situation, it was rather good to be alone. 

34 comments:

  1. We've always enjoyed the occasional day out in York, just an hour's train ride from here. But it has become more and more touristy through the years. I remember how it was in the 70s and 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, that is nice that it is so close to you. On a weekday it didn't feel overwhelmed with tourists but I am sure on a fine weekend there would be hoards of visitors. Actually the Monday we were there was a bank holiday, so probably a bit busier than usual.

      Delete
  2. Blog connections are wonderful. I hope Marie IS reading this post. It looks like a very full, but wonderful day. And I am sure that you and R were glad to have some time alone - and suspect it was less full on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we just did what we wanted without consultation with anyone. Nice.

      Delete
  3. Great photos that make me want to go back again for a long overdue visit, although Tasker's comment is making me think again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can go on a weekday JayCee, I don't think there would be a problem.

      Delete
    2. BTW, thanks for continuing to comment on blogs, including mine.

      Delete
  4. The hotel looks like a palace! I love the street scenes and the buildings. So cultural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, we did look up its original purpose but I can't remember now. It probably has been much decorated over the years.

      Delete
  5. theconttemplativecat here. Great adventure in a lovely town! You squeezed a lot in short time.




    1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, we really don't do that much. Perhaps it does sound a lot.

      Delete
  6. I totally understand your enjoyment at being alone. Best wishes on their welfare, and yours. Thank you for sharing these photos and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such sights in York! It must have been going back in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, you certainly are aware of history in York. So much is so old, and the walls restrict traffic somewhat, which is not a bad thing. Like the best cities in the world, there is not really traffic in the city centre.

      Delete
  8. it is always good to have time alone even when away from home. Other people 24/7 gets a bit much. I am impressed with Marie walking everywhere. If I am ever in York (ha ha) I shall try to remember Ask Italian for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psst River. There is a clue to Marie's age in her blog title 70 onwards. It was nice to be alone. Yes, the Italian was really good, but it was only lunch and I think I had snacky things.

      Delete
  9. Everywhere's very 'touristy' in the overcrowded cities - victims of their own success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, that has always my argument to R about visiting Italy. Now him being older, it has become theoretical. We've only been to Naples.

      Delete
  10. So nice to connect with a fellow blogger. Some nice pics of York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sami, and it was lovely to see Marie again.

      Delete
  11. The photos are great as I love the English Architecture. Poor lad locking himself out. Maria sounds a nice decent person, thanks for links will wonder over and read/look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. Yes, the poor lad was mortified.

      Delete
  12. The Shambles may be narrow and not flooded with sunshine but it is the most historically intact street I have ever seen. Thankfully they don't tip animal blood and kishkes into the street any more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hels, I am scared to ask what kishkes are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have locked myself out of the condo - the office has an emergency key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, that would be unusual here. Your private property is for you to look after.

      Delete
  15. My niece was at uni in York so I got the occasional guided and knowledgeable tour which made a change from hunting through guide books. The children loved a Viking museum. I just loved the city in general. The Shambles amongst other things reminded me very much of parts of Chester which is a city I grew up with (not in!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, the Viking Museum was recommended to us by our Friend in Japan, but we only had so much time and so much energy. I don't know Chester but I can imagine.

      Delete
  16. This brought back nice memories of my visit there. I loved wandering around the town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, it is just a wonderful town to wander. I wish we were a little fitter, well a lot.

      Delete
  17. It was a delight to see you both. Do you think you could write my obituary when I've gone? I think I would much prefer yours to the family's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do that Marie. I am very good at flattery.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...