Monday, June 26, 2023

Driving in England

 As for driving in England, I have come away with different feelings after each visit. My first visit when we hired a car, I found the English too polite when at the wheel. You go first, no you go first. There are clear road rules about who goes first. I guess that must have been twenty years ago.

I recall driving from Newcastle to Blackpool via Carlisle, mostly on the M6. It was a wonderful drive with mostly three lanes and trucks and heavy vehicles in the left hand lane at 60 mph, general traffic at 70 mph in the centre lane and the third lane used for overtaking and by speeders. It worked brilliantly.

The same applied this visit when using the M/A1 motorway, except it was much busier. Trucks in the left lane moving to the centre lane to overtake a slightly slower truck in the left lane caused bother and it was not really possible to maintain the 70 mph in the centre lane for very long. Then there was the unnecessary slowing of traffic a long way before roadworks, that weren't even happening. In some places there were what looked like permanently placed traffic cones. 

As for the speedsters, here if you are caught travelling 15 mph over the speed limit, it is an immediate driving license suspension. I don't think it must be like this at all in England, given the number of people speeding on motorways. 

However, I found the standard of driving in the north excellent, only falling apart in the inner west area of Newcastle area where a lot of immigrants live. I felt sorry for the bus drivers. The large roundabouts can be intimidating but drivers are very forgiving if you are not quite in the correct lane. I seldom heard a blast of a horn. Many roundabouts have traffic lights and that all works quite well to ensure everyone gets their turn. A roundabout in Chesterfield was the worst for me and there was no way to avoid it after leaving our hotel. There were good road markings indicating which lane you should be in to use whatever numbered road you wanted, but they were faded to the point of being unreadable. 

R's Sister 3 will not drive further along the West Road than the A1 roundabout because as she said, she has lost confidence. She drove us to Sister 2's place one day and her driving was fine. Perfectly competent and safe. If she needs to go further, one of her three children, grandchildren or partners will take her.

Unlike here, no one really needed a horn blast from the car behind to move when a turn arrow came up. Clearly drivers were focused on their task at hand and not surreptitiously looking at their phones or in car screens. From what I have learnt, it is much harder in England to obtain a driving license and perhaps behind Germany, it must be nearly gold standard. It seemed few people pass the driving test at their first attempt. Clearly driving while distracted by devices and screens as a bad must be drummed into new drivers. 

I may as well include public transport here. I was disappointed that the electric buses have disappeared on the West Road. However, the current buses are first class. They are smooth, quiet, comfortable and the drivers are excellent at making your journey smooth and fuss free. Buses in cities in Australia are generally dreadful, noisy, rough and just unpleasant, though at least ours are air conditioned. 

Taxis and minicabs are similarly priced to here, but in England there is never a complaint about a short trip to the shops from the driver. People generally use the same  minicab firm, they become known and even there are short trips, they know at times the same person will require a longer trip. 

There is a plentiful number of helpful road signage, although for me, turn left in  246 yards was not helpful. Later I thought about it. A yard is less than a metre, so maybe it was say 200 metres, but I can't think like that on the road in a an area I am not familiar with and concerned about my driving when confronted with a yard distance number. 

26 comments:

  1. I am glad that you found the driving good. Even as a passenger I find trips through the city stressful. Way too many aggressive and often distracted drivers. Despite the rules about driving and phones I often see people concentrating on them, or perhaps worse looking down, presumably at a screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least EC, we didn't see distracted drivers, busy areas or anywhere. I certainly see blatant phone use at home by people when they are driving.

      Delete
  2. We no longer drive when we hop across the ditch to visit friends and family in England. As my family live in the south east the volume of traffic is uncomfortable for us to deal with, especially on the Heathrow / Gatwick run. My sister and her husband usually offer to act as our chauffeur service. They are used to those conditions, which are slightly more frenetic than here on our little island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I read that the M25 can become very congested near Heathrow. Depending which port you arrive at, is there not a decent train service towards London?

      Delete
    2. To get to my sister's house we would have to get the train into London then cross the city to catch another train out to her town. Not a pleasant journey.

      Delete
    3. I see. Too difficult and inconvenient.

      Delete
  3. So these buses in that part of UK are not airconditioned at all? In heat, air-conditioning is a must. You had a good time there I believed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Roentare, they are not. It is argued that England gets so few hot days, air con is not needed. If it is warm and sunny and 20 degrees, it can be very warm inside buses. Yes, we had a good time wherever we visited.

      Delete
  4. Fun60: I have to admire you driving whilst over here. I never drive whilst abroad. I find driving in the north of England easier than the south as people are far more patient and it is not as congested as the London roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I would only drive in England and New Zealand now. I could not deal with the stress of driving on the right hand side of the road, but for an Australian, England is not difficult and we too are used to terrible traffic congestion.

      Delete
  5. Driving is fine so long as you bear in mind that some people are idiots and give them a wide berth. Driving in London is a nightmare and only to be undertaken by people who live there or travel there frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, you want to see driving idiots? Visit Australia. We beat you by far with that. I would not drive in London. That would be way too stressful.

      Delete
  6. Well done on your driving whilst away in England, not an easy task when you are not so sure where you are going. Good to know the driver's over there are more polite and I bet on the open highway if you went to pass them, they wouldn't speed up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, strange roads is the real difficulty when driving anywhere. Drivers there are much more consistent than here. They drive with confidence and expect the same in others.

      Delete
  7. When confronted with a yard measurement just think "any minute now" and keep your eyes peeled. You must have done well with the driving as you are still alive to tell us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I wish I had worked out yards in advance but I didn't expect that. Yes, it was a case of any minute now. No Mr Magoo trail of disaster happening behind me either.

      Delete
  8. Well done for attempting to drive in England. WE did when younger but later I let my brother do it or caught public transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it wasn't too hard. Mind, if there was someone else to do the driving, I would be quite happy with that.

      Delete
  9. Driving in rural areas and motorways is usually easy, driving in cities, even in the country you live in, is best avoided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, I am quite used to driving in the inner city and I really dislike freeway driving until about fifty kilometres from the city where traffic frees up.

      Delete
  10. From what I understand, it is quite challenging to get a license here. (Dave and I don't drive in the UK so we haven't yet bothered.) But I also see a lot of bad driving and wonder, how did THEY get a license?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, that is as I've learnt too. I wish it was the case here. I suppose things are a bit different in London so far as driving goes.

      Delete
  11. While driving not only we have to be careful to pre-empt carelessness on the part of others as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Pradeep. You have to anticipate, watch and the worst thing to do is over react.

      Delete
  12. I am so happy you made a safe return. Driving in my peaceful area can be hazardous with distractions and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla. It is not as if I like driving either.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...