Sunday, February 12, 2023

Sunday Selections

I'm joining in with River and others for Sunday Selections.

The French are revolting and when the French revolt, they do it with style. This barbeque can run on tram tracks and therefor can be easily transported from one protest group to another. Feed them sausages, not cake. Photo by Juan Buis.


Fake I hope. How awful to be deprived of beer.


South Melbourne. Liver pills, liver salts. What was that all about? I've Googled and liver pills cured everything. Carters was the dominant brand it seems but I don't remember that brand here. My grandfather used to take Ford's Liver Pills. 


On public housing land someone or more than one person has made a little garden. It's not grand but a good effort.



The floral clock was gift to Melbourne from the watchmakers of Zurich. I've no idea why. The clock is problematic. Plantings have to be below the sweep of the hands and people keep interfering with the hands. You never know if it will be working or if it hands missing. At the moment the second hand is missing.


Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop was a surgeon captured in Singapore by the Japanese during WWII. He saved so many lives in the camps where the prisoners of war were so brutally treated by the Japanese. He was a great man and the sculpture is worthy and deserved. In the background was a Latin festival. I've never thought of Latins being boring, but the festival certainly was; more a gathering of food vans than an exhibition of culture. 


Who kicked the cop car door in?


Remember the 'dangerous' playground? The rocks are real.


Quite a good job really of making what was once a traffic sewer into a much more pleasant area.


How many cockatoos does it take to make a flock?


This green slime rubbish atop Storey Hall has been there for years. It really need to be removed.


Last Sunday was (gay) Pride March. Trams in Fitzroy Street where the march happens did not run for several hours with the exception of the not in service Pride Tram. I never knew what a moquette was until a few years ago. It is the patterned and tough fabric used for public transport seating. This drag queen dress is one of the moquettes used in one of our tram models. Photo by Yarra Trams. 

22 comments:

  1. I love your Sunday post. It is quite relaxing to read. I miss the midsummer parade for street photography. A pity. I was playing badminton against my line manager in this current job which was crucial for future employment status. That fancy dress is stunning in front of the tram. A lot of festival in Melbourne lacks any contents but some usual token food trucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work interfering with social activity I remember well after so many decades of shift work. No different for you I guess.

      It wasn't always the case with festivals. I remember the same Latin festival a few years ago and there was much more to see.

      Delete
  2. A lovely potted history and general knowledge post.
    I remember Andrew's liver salts. Maybe they were an English thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, I had forgotten about Andrews Liver Salts. There was always a tin at home in my youth and it actually tasted quite nice. God knows what it was and how much salt was in it.

      Delete
  3. My late father considered Weary Dunlop a true national hero. During the war of course, then after the war when he continued back in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, for a posh bloke, he was more than ok.

      Delete
  4. I did not know the tram seating fabric had a name. I think a flock is officially called so when five or more birds are together. I remember Ford Pills, ladies of my mother's generation took them hoping to lose weight I think. I didn't now they were liver pills. I heard they made your wee blue.
    That green "slime" does look awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is the name used for all public transport seating fabric that has a pattern. Patterns hide many things. Maybe I have it wrong about Ford pills. You've triggered a memory about weight loss. Blue would a nice change.

      Delete
  5. Nice selection. Great man was Weary as were many at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, war brings out real heroes, and sadly some who betray too.

      Delete
  6. My mom use to say her mom took more pills than Carter had liver pills.
    What ever that means. My grandma liked her meds.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, that makes sense. Clearly they were widely used in the US.

      Delete
  7. What a nice post! You covered quite a vast range of topics. The French revolt with moving sausage barbecue tickled me for whatever reason. And just what is that green 'slime' supposed to represent? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby. No one gets the green slime so aside from being ugly and spoiling the building, yep, no one gets it.

      Delete
  8. The French are famous for their strikes ! For a yes or no they go on the street. Why not, they are payed for ! I like to see gay parades, the costumes are often so fancy ! It seems that in Europe Berlin has the best and people are coming from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we no longer had a retirement age but old age pension is now 67. Macron wants to increase the retirement age from 62 to 64. I don't have much sympathy.
      Berlin is a wicked city, wicked in a good way. It is certainly up there in the stakes as one of the world's best cities for gay people.

      Delete
  9. A glimpse into your week, in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos, stories, and folks' comments always interest me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, comments are often so interesting and educate me.

      Delete
  11. The surgeon is a very handsome stately man. That is a fabulously decored mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, he was very stately. Mermaid has excellent child bearing hips.

      Delete

D'lingo

A very busy brain melting afternoon booking our next holiday. Why can't you just sms a selfie to prove you are old enough to receive a s...