Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Tuesday Tennis

It is a wonderful time of the year in Melbourne. For the first time since 2019 the Australian Open tennis is in full and unrestricted swing. People pour off trains and trams and on foot to arrive at the venues all so happy and excited, perhaps apprehensive about the performance of their favourite.

It may sound snobby, but tennis supporters are generally somewhat nicer than football and motor car racing supporters. 

Covid unvaccinated bad boy Serb who breached Australian immigration laws and was deported after some days of confinement has been welcomed. I would boo him, but then I never liked him. His three year ban for an Australian visa was overturned by a government minister. One rule for the rich and famous and another for a backpacker who overstays or overworks in Australia. Tennis Australia behaved appalling by encouraging Djokovic to attempt to illegally enter Australia but no heads have rolled. So sad to see him ranked at number five...not.

Local bad boy Nick Kyrgios has a lump in his knee and has withdrawn. That is such a loss. Who can imagine what shocking and entertaining outrage he may have committed while 'performing' on the court. 

I'd love to see Rafael win but I am doubtful that will happen. He is ranked number two in the world, with a fellow Spaniard ranked number one. Number three is a Norwegian, Casper Ruud. I've not heard anything about him.

Nor have I heard anything about the rather luscious looking fourth ranked Stefanos Tsitsipas. He is Greek, and I am reminded of a I think a Greek Cypriot player from about five years ago who was very popular here. Of course my five years probably means ten years in real time. Who was that?

I am too old to have Stefanos' babies, so I would be content with him whispering sweet nothings into my ear. #delusional old gay man





20 comments:

  1. Tennis, like other sport, leaves me cold. You have certainly selected some good looking proponents though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am sure you know I don't care for sport either, but I do like to look at male sporting types. The photos are all of Stefanos, younger and now 24 I think.

      Delete
  2. Peeping Tom trait here. I used to follow the sports in university years. It is easier to just watch on the free TV. Bad boys are the sparkle any events need really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, we all like hearing and seeing what the bad boys do and then complain about them.

      Delete
  3. Sport leaves me cold. The participants are quite lovely, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tennis spectators rank about the same with those who watch golf, quietly with some occasional hand clapping. A little chatter amongst themselves. About 300% better than those hooligans who call themselves soccer fans!
    A couple of nice looking young men there today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes. No physical contact. No biffo. Are soccer audiences worse than AFL audiences? I'd have to think about that but AFL supporters don't fire off flares. The photos are of the same person, Stefanos.

      Delete
    2. Soccer audiences are the WORST! The craziest. Haven't you seen the fighting they get up to at and after the matches? I'd fear for my life if I was anywhere near. They should be banned from all matches.

      Delete
  5. I love tennis because it is finely skilled without any of the violence you see in other sports (eg rugby, gridiron, boxing, ice hockey, roller derby etc). If it wasn't 38c, I would be delighted to sit in the open air grandstands and watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bugger hell, it is me Hels.

      Delete
    2. Exactly Hels. If I was forced, I would probably enjoy seeing tennis live.

      Delete
  6. I clicked on and enlarged all of those pictures. Correct me if I wrong but I believe that's the SAME gorgeous young man in each picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, correct. The photos are all of Stefanos and I am not surprised you enlarged the photos, you...

      Delete
  7. I've never followed tennis much but I went to a game at the US Open about 20 years ago (on someone else's ticket) and watched Pete Sampras play, which was pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a name from the past Steve. He was a good player.

      Delete
  8. As you know I love tennis. Andy Murray always my favourite and has provided spectators with one of the most exciting games of the tournament so far. Sad to see Rafa going out so early. Stephanos reminds me of a Greek god.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maire, it was good to see Murray playing, not that I watch tennis. Is Ma Murray here to see her son perform too? At his age now, he seems to have become better looking. I never thought so earlier. Stephanos was trying hard with Aussie slang at a post game press interview. He seems like a nice and amusing guy along with being a Greek god. Bit of class about him really.

      Delete
  9. I'm not much into sports at all. But those are hot young players whose photos you shared!

    ReplyDelete

Unexpectedly bereft

The most wonderful person I've ever known has suddenly died, Thursday night Australian time. He was kind, generous with a great outgoing...