Saturday, December 17, 2022

Lovely Lunch

I cannot say they are close friends, but we have known Mk a very long time via our late friend David and we know each other well enough. Mk's older partner died maybe a decade ago and he found a new partner, Indonesian born TG.

Mk's earlier partner was an heir to McEwans hardware store empire and Mk hasn't worked for many years, being rather comfortable, as they say. But like me he still worries about money and how much is spent down to the dollar. It can be in your upbringing to be thrifty or just from your own nature.

Anyway, we have caught up Mk and Tg twice this year for lunch at a cafe. This time they invited us for lunch at their place. The day before R and myself agreed we were not looking forward to it, but it turned out to be fine. Tg cooked a lovely meal, the wine was nice. I only had two glasses. I am not a daytime drinker. 

We have been to their apartment but it was perhaps 20 years ago on a New Year's Eve to see fireworks from their building's rooftop. At 11pm on NYE and not being the driver, my memories are not clear. That was before Mk's first partner died. We had great fireworks views at midnight, back in the day when fireworks were such a novelty.

Anyway, they live in a low level at high rise apartment on the beach front in Beacon Cove, part of Port Melbourne. Their three bedroom apartment is perhaps valued at around AU$2 million. It is very nice without being over the top. Tastefully decorated, modern and comfortable. The building itself is very nice too.

Now the problem is how to reciprocate. We know how to have people for dinner but we have never really cooked a lunch for guests. Mezza platters?

They have a balcony with city views and one with sea views. I chose the sea view balcony to take a gander. 

The redundant Princes Pier which once even supported a train track. Some train track is still on the pier. In the distance is the Port of Melbourne where ships, to use an old joke, plasma tvs arrive from China and the ships leave empty.

That looks like a big boat at Station Pier. I wonder what ship it is?

Closer up photo of Princes Pier. The redundant pier pylons have been kept, which is rather nice. If you want to see a very stylish photo of the pylons check out Roentare's photo here

I found a balcony gap where the cruise ship name was clearly on show. No wonder it looked big.

24 comments:

  1. What lovely views. I have been poor and am now comfortable. I do watch my money though. Upbringing and a bit of me I suppose.
    A mezze platter for lunch sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I can't turn the concrete in our now rather valuable apartment into anything edible, our wealth far exceeds our income on which we live modestly aside from holidays. Yep, a mezza platter would be great, but R has never made one before. Me do it, nah. I have no style with food preparation.

      Delete
  2. It is such a good thing to keep friends even twice a year for meals. Friends are older the better. I only go down to Princes Pier to photograph the skaters on the dock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, skater lads down there? I am did not know and I am interested.

      Delete
  3. I am ill-qualified to advise you on reciprocal lunch date arrangements so I shall instead say nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, we could possibly do roast beef but I don't think we have a good recipe for Yorkshire pudding. I think you have a good recipe.

      Delete
    2. If you fly me over to Melbourne, I will make a full Sunday dinner for you all - including Yorkshire puddings.

      Delete
  4. Your apartment is also lovely and your views are spectacular.
    As for food, anything is acceptable for lunches these days. Just not the full three course meal. If R has something he likes to cook and is proud of then do that. With some cheeses and fruit for afters. Above all keep it simple and enjoy the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, we took a light cake for dessert from Ferguson Plarre, so it was a two course meal. Amazingly Mk's mother worked at a chemist shop next to the original Ferguson bloke's first shop and knew him well. R can cook anything very well. My request for tonight's meal was a sweet lamb curry. The barbeque was on at noon. The slow cooker on at 1pm and the sultanas added at...I didn't notice. Delicious.

      Delete
    2. You need to blog about Rs shop. He obviously has culinary talent.

      Delete
    3. Caro, I have in the past mentioned the shop in more detail, but a long time ago.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good time.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Dora. It was a very pleasant three hours.

      Delete
  6. Lovely views from the balcony. Lunch menu? no idea. Or you could toss a few marinated prawns on a barbecue. Fish and chips? Get in quick before the country runs out of potatoes because of the floods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes I heard about the potato shortage. No frozen oven chips at Aldi. If it was up to me to serve a lunch, I would go across the road and buy Subway.

      Delete
  7. The high rise apartment on the beach front in Port Melbourne sounds like a fine location for old age. Tastefully decorated, modern and comfortable are also highly desirable, as long as the veranda faces the Bay and the lounge room's sea wall is entirely glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, yes one balcony with bay views and the other with city views, and all glass.

      Delete
  8. You can never go wrong with lasagne and a decent salad with fresh rolls.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, R is known for his very nice lasagne but I think I would find it quite heavy to serve for lunch. Mind, I don't mind left over lasagne for my lunch.

      Delete
  9. Nice views! I had to look up the "Queen Elizabeth" and I see it's named after the Queen Mother. Hamilton is in Bermuda, naturally. I'm sure there are tax reasons for registering it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I had looked it up in the past but forgotten who she was named after. Is Bermuda one step above in a good way over Panama?

      Delete
  10. Nice images. And perhaps slivers of toasted lasagne along with other meaty/cheesy/veggie tidbits would work. Charcuterie... Yum...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charcuterie plates Darla. I like that idea very much.

      Delete
  11. Have you ever had a raclette? That works well for lunch time and keeps everyone busy. Other than that, I would get deli trays from a catering place.

    ReplyDelete

Hair cut memories

A few days ago we walked down Russell Street in town from Lonsdale Street to Little Bourke Street and as we did, a memory kicked in. R, one ...