Tuesday, September 22, 2026

The rent reduction

I reduced Phyllis' and Kesav's rent with a few conditions, the major one being that if either or both of them are home at my dinner time, they are responsible for heating it or cooking the meal. This worked well for a while until they weren't so often home at my dinner time, being busy working. 

Two days ago Phyllis did not tell me he would not be home, as he went straight from one job to another. Kosov left for work early, over three hours before my dinner time. Had I have known, I could have prepared something myself, one way or the other, mentally at least. Similar happened a couple of days earlier. I was not happy. 

I mentioned to Kosov that the recycling needed to be taken down, ages before he left for work and he did not. I noticed Jass' water fountain was nearly empty. I sent him a one line message, 'Recycling and Jass water'. 'Sorry Andrew, as soon as I am home'. 

At dinner time, Phyllis called and I ignored the call as I was picking up some takeaway across the road. He called again and I answered and he said he told me he would not be home at dinner time to fix my meal. He did not tell me such in advance.

They both arrived home from their jobs before I went to sleep, and my displeasure must have already been guessed about and discussed. In summary, I told them that they had to act like responsible adults, and real life was not all about Japanese Animae. Taking the recycling down to the basement is their responsibility, it used to be mine, and ensuring Jass has water is also their responsibility.  

They were both home the next day and after I went shopping for staples, we all went out in Perl for a Kosov driving lesson, and he drove on a motorway for the first time, to Williamstown and back over the Westgate Bridge. I am still not happy with his traffic checking at roundabouts, but he is improving each driving lesson.

As an aside, and I can't imaging why, but Coles supermarket in Williamstown is absolutely fabulous. What a wonderful variety of food, fresh and packaged.

I picked up some heated chicken drumsticks to eat sitting outside. Onnndrewww, you are hungry. Eat the the drumsticks. Kosov, I do not eat food while walking up and down supermarket aisles. I sit down to eat. Here Onndreww, eat. I did. I am so ashamed by my consumption of chicken drumsticks in the Williamstown Coles Supermarket aisle. I just thought no one would notice one, but then I ate another.

But we three had a lovely weekend away, which I will of course tell you about. 

34 comments:

  1. With respect, perhaps it would be better for them to pay the same rent than you expect that one will prepare your evening meal. From lived experience of two son attending uni and working part time jobs as well, they also need to be young people.doing young people activities .surely rent is for use of the house and cleanliness of the property not cooking
    Meals on wheels mght be a better option for your evening meal.and have it a time that suits you, not wait fir them to drop activities for your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they paid correct rent with no obligations to me aside from keeping the kitchen clean, and me not concerned about their incredibly untidy bedroom, they would be paying three times the rent they are paying. I worked out the annual cost of living here, including everything from body corp fees to council rates, and I make about AU$30 a fortnight from them. That may not be correct way to calculate, but just the constant dishwasher use, the extra water and the constant washing machine use, has a serious impact on my bills. They agreed to the arrangement and I am not unreasonable about anything. I receive three meals on wheels meals a week, which are easy for them to heat and plate. All I ask is certainty about my evening meal. I can buy takeaway, heat my own meal, even vaguely cook something myself, but I need to know in advance to buy ingredients.

      Delete
  2. I understand the need for advance notice, which seems entirely fair to me. It also seems entirely fair that they have responsibilities within the household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, they are young and had no experience of being on their own without parents doing what parents do. I do pull them up on responsibilities they have while living here.

      Delete
  3. It seems to me things are slacking off a bit as the boys get busier with their jobs. Like teenagers they need reminding and sometimes quite firmly. I never eat in supermarket aisles either. Some do and put the empty packaging on random shelves so they don't have to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I've never eaten in a supermarket, aside from a grape to check the taste. I am sure some people do eat and not pay, but the cameras are always watching. While they are working long hours at times, they still find plenty of time to watch animae rubbish.

      Delete
  4. Channel your inner boss, Andrew! I adore you and wish all three of you (and extended family) the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla. It is my home and the are paying guests, but the relationship is a whole lot more than that.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't eat in a supermarket aisle. The management might think I took their food without paying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kosov took the chicken and paid for it and returned with the receipt. But yes, I'm sure that happens a lot.

      Delete
  6. I am fully with you regarding keeping you abreast of their plans. That's way it should be.
    Of course, everything can't planned, and there are sometimes surprises. But that should be a rare exception rather than the rule.
    Though some people think that these are old-school courtesies, I don't think so. These are not stuff about age or generation.
    I hope they learn and become serious with these seemingly small and important everyday routines.
    Glad you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not good at laying down the law so would perhaps challenge the fact that they had to cook your meals for a rent reduction, it takes a chunk out of their time. Having said that and as someone who looked after many, many language students, meals had a time to be there and rooms were their own responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma, there was plenty of time when they entered the agreement, less now, but still, all I need is to know.
      I didn't know you hosted students. That's nice. Philip's and Kosov's room is a total mess, but nothing is damaged and it is their room.

      Delete
  8. I would never eat walking along in the supermarket Andrew, it would for me not be easy at all. I might drop a piece of food someone might happen to come along and slip on that piece of food...oh dear. I'm not thinking negative either.
    They should let you know if they won't be there to get your meal, it's manners but young ones sometimes can forget their manners.
    Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't something I've ever done before Margaret and probably will never do again. With my shaky hands, I know how to protect against dropping food.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Yes, my big family TP, and my immediate three family.

      Delete
  10. Just like in any type of family, you keep everyone apprised of schedules and such, making life easier on all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those young men are exactly like children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, in some ways they very much are. I think they had a rather protected childhood.

      Delete
  12. Well, when you're the manager of a shared household, you have to delegate tasks and make sure everything runs smoothly. Still, you seem to be having a good time—after all, if everything were absolutely perfect, where would the fun be? But there is one thing you should tell your housemates (from me): they can forget anything they like, but *not* Jass's water! Otherwise, I'm sending a drone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid, yes it's all pretty good. Don't worry, I keep an eye on Jass' water.

      Delete
  13. Kids need to take responsibility but the younger generation doesn't seem to, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I hope they can gently realise there can be repercussions.

      Delete
  14. I like Ingrid's comment, Andrew. I echo it. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the responsible adult Linda. I will ensure she has water. It is annoying to have to remind them.

      Delete
  15. we don't have Coles here, mainly New World, Pa n Save and Woolworths, those are the main players. I'm thinking your post is about your flatmates unless I've missed something? I would never live with flatmates again, ever, when I did in my younger days it was always one person doing everything and everyone else doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, our Coles used to be called Coles New World. Yes, it is about the lads, my flatmates. It is different in that it is my home, so within reason, I have the say about what happens.

      Delete
  16. Hi Andrew,
    The boys get a very good deal and a little responsibility is good training. We all have to manage multiple obligations in life.
    My Buffy seems to drink all her water in a short time and then she's run out. I've failed on this a few times then she runs to get the water bowl and plonks it at my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are learning such bad habits, Annnddreewwww.

    ReplyDelete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

Infuriating

At the beginning of this month businesses were no longer allowed to charge customers bank debit or credit card fees for a purchase or servic...