I called the electrician this Tuesday morning to replace the smoke detectors. It is pointless asking for a quote. I know they do go a good job and charge a fair price by the hour. I s'pose I'll wait a week or two for someone to do the job.
I caught the tram to Prahran for a pedicure. I decided to speak up about the pedicure. I always say to cut my toenails short, but they are cut like I am a young woman who shows off her feet. No one sees my bare feet, so I am not concerned about appearance, so I told the woman to cut my big toenails shorter and more square. She stuck a very sharp blade into a hand held device and stripped away any dead skin on my feet. My skin fell like confetti. That was followed by abrasion.
As my feet were being attended to, the electrician sent me a message, would I be home between 1.30 and 3.00. I will be, and the sparky arrived around 2.00 and half an hour later, the job was done. In days of old, I would have done the replacement myself.
It is a bit hard to get excited by smoke alarm replacements, but they do look very nice and clean, unlike the 28 year old units.
Phyllis and Kesav were out having fun while this was happening, and once home forgot about the smoke detectors being replaced. After a couple of hours and Phyllis plating up a meals on wheels for me to heat in the microwave, went out again.
Quite a satisfying day really.

I find it satisfying to get things done that I've been putting off too, like my eye appointment.
ReplyDeleteYes, it is good to tick a few things off.
DeleteI also find it satisfying to get things done, housework, errands, appointments.
ReplyDeleteThough they do mount up again Linda.
DeleteNice looking smoke alarms - question is will they wake the sleeping next "test" Phyllis offers!
ReplyDeleteJeanie, one was unhappy and started beeping every 38 seconds at around 4.30 this morning, the one outside our bedroom doors. Not happy.
DeleteIt's always nice to have a satisfying day. ~nods~ Be well!
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed, Darla.
DeleteFire alarm in my country house always went off at 1 am for nothing. Speaking of which, I need another fire alarm check
ReplyDelete1am, Roentare. I'd throw a shoe at it, although is unlikely to stop it.
DeleteI have never had a pedicure in my life and probably should just to get the calluses/dead skin removed, I can still cut my own toenails. Phyllis cooking for you is a fine thing, but having him plating up a ready made meals-on-wheels meal? Surely you can do that yourself!
ReplyDeleteRiver, even if you abrade yuor feet, there is still plenty of dead skin left to slice off with the blade. It is painless. It costs me $35 but I could probably find a place for $30. I visit about once every two months. The one I use has higher hygiene standards than the one I used to use.
DeleteHe doesn't mind serving up my meal and often improves the meal substantially.
I remember now that Phyllis decorates the plate a bit and adds an egg sometimes. I'll put foot care on next year's list of "to-get-done" right after skin check which I have also never had.
DeleteYour smoke detectors lasted 28 years???!!. That's incredible!
ReplyDeleteDebby, with some self interest on his part, the sparky suggested they should be replaced every ten years.
DeleteAll Housing Trust places get them replaced every ten years. It's probably the only ongoing maintenace that DOES get done properly and on time.
DeleteSince they're often ingrown, and thus painful, I've actually gone to a podiatrist to get mine cut, something insurance doesn't cover. Maybe I should try a pedicure place instead, since I'm paying for it anyway.
ReplyDeleteKirk, I don't what a podiatrist does that a pedicurist don't do. Unless declared by your doctor as a chronic condition, we would have to pay for podiatrist.
DeleteGood to get the smoke alarms done. I set mine off sometimes when the toast over cooks as I watch it.
ReplyDeleteNice to get your meal plated up - part of the deal I think I read.
I cut my own nails with B's help and soak my feet for ages then towel them dry this helps remove dead skin on the feet. I've got weird toes due to ballet in my younger years.
Margaret, from Phyllis' cooking, at times the one nearest the kitchen goes off.
DeleteYes, part of the deal. If they are home, my meal is their responsibility.
I find other people's feet icky, and I would never cut my mother's toe nails. I figured if she reach down to paint them, she could cut them herself. My feet feel really good after the pedicure.
Andrew you can obtain a Care Plan of 5 visits from your GP to a registered Podarist. Medicare cover most of the cost you may be a small amount $ or nothing out of pocket.
ReplyDeleteYes, I had the 5 visits for two subsequent years for physiotherapy when my arthritis broke out. I haven't needed it since she and I worked out what triggers the pain and how to deal with it.
DeleteWise not to climb ladders at our age. The condo checks ours and replaces them if necessary once or twice a year.
ReplyDeleteThat would be the batteries I guess TP, not the unit itself.
DeleteSomething to check off from your 'to do' list, Andrew.
ReplyDeleteYes, checked off Pat.
DeleteI too feel really satisfied with getting things done, especially 2 things done in the one day. I want to have a party. My new pod has the most incredible equipment. I'm in and out in about 20 minutes vs about 1 hour 15 minutes with the old one. All very sci-fi now. Good on you and the fire alarms, seriously important.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
What is this sci-fi pod you speak of, WWW.
DeleteSparky is that what electricians are called there? I like it.
ReplyDeleteTrue, our "leccies" are called "sparkies" 😁
DeleteStrayer, can you guess what a chippie does? You need one for building houses.
DeleteAndrew I cheated and looked it up. Makes my younger brother a chippie.
DeleteGood money here for a chippie.
Delete