Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Big Africa

The world has a new map, a more realistic map for actually showing the size of various continents, and while I know things in African are big, very big, the continent is much larger than depicted on the old Mercator Map.

Wow!

16 comments:

  1. That is quite a graphic. I guess I never saw it laid out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get a copy of this new world map with size comparisons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked the new map yet, although I did come across one that is too difficult to get into my head.

      Delete
  3. I know all about the revised map and agree that knowledge keeps growing - we have to adapt our knowledge of science, geography, medicine etc.
    But what happens if the new borders move across lands that no longer fit the nations' existing territories .. will they fight it out with war?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Hels, one I didn't think of, and I can see it in a map of Europe, but really it is only reflecting existing borders.

      Delete
  4. Heard this and isn't Africa very large, Andrew. It's amazing and it's about time the sizes were corrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Margaret, and stats about large things need correcting.

      Delete
  5. To be fair to the old Mercator Map, I've read some things were purposely exaggerated to give sailors a better idea of where to find various bays and capes and whatnot (though Age of Imperialism biases also played a role.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, the exiting map will be kept for navigation, although that's beyond my understanding as the maps don't reflect reality. Absolutely about Imperialism. All men want things to be bigger.

      Delete
  6. Everything is written on water. I was quite shocked by the information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's amazing and kinda scary how many people fit on Africa and in those three other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did know about that but your picture is worth a 1000 words. Odd how the real size was submerged for so long. US influence I heard but could be wrong.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

The rights and the wrongs

Three years ago the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas attacked very innocent Israeli musical festival goers. Many died, many were taken host...