Sunday, August 30, 2026

Sunday Selections

River and others participate in Sunday Selections and here is my contribution this week.

A surprise dinner for me arrived, and very tasty it was too. Note the label "Smokey inspired BBQ chicken", not a smoked barbeque chicken. 

The major shopping street of our poshest suburb has a cigar shop, and what a lovely exterior it has and I am sure the interior is very nice. It is pity it is all so dark. Just trust me.


There'd be dinosaurs.

Promoting a musical instrument shop.



What a grave mistake we made to interfere in what wasn't our business, but it certainly wasn't any reflection on those who fought and were conscripted and forced to fight.

You can just see the No Smoking sign inside the fence of the Smokin' Hut Cafe.

After using plastic coated light weight metal clothes airers for years, needing to use a second smaller one when Phyllis and Kosov moved in, the smaller one broke, so while this one was about $45 and I did hesitate, it is great and this single one is enough drying space. 

Is Phyllis trying to get rid of more of my stuff? No, just out for a wash in the dishwasher as they were getting dusty.

One of these remote control cars took ten AAA batteries to power it and the other four AA. I think they may have been returned to the store as I only saw them once.

How awkward. Given the traffic flow is in one direction, towards the top of the photo, how did this car get here.

The car driver is wearing an overcoat as details were exchanged. I always remove coats and jackets when driving. I feel they restrict my movements. 

33 comments:

  1. I agree that driving with a coat on feels restrictive. It used to drive my coworkers crazy when I didn't bother donning one during the short winter walk from car to office. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect your cars quickly warm, so the walk would not be so bad.

      Delete
  2. My brother was a conscript.and was sent to Vietnam They were treated disgracefully. I honour them for their service and I honour Vietnamese people who fought against them defending their homeland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was all the anti Vietnam War protests that turned people against them when they returned. We didn't win a war, so they weren't celebrated as heroes.

      Delete
  3. Fortunately I have never driven a vehicle, but I can understand that you can feel restricted when you are wearing a coat or jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you must have to rug up a lot in your winter.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't be too worried about whether the driver removed his coat or not. I would be more worried about whether his glasses had been lost :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the dog advertising musical instruments. Your new drying rack looks exactly like my $15 cheap-as-chips one and I am wondering how big it is since you say it is big enough, while mine doesn't hold much at all unless it is all small things. I certainly can't fit towels on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60cm wide, just barely enough for the width of a towel and 145cm long. It has lower racks too but things dried by the overhead ceiling fan would take a long time to dry without getting much air circulation.

      Delete
    2. Same as mine then, but my towels are huge, I buy "Bath Sheets" not regular size. I do have another drying rack, different style that holds more but my towels don't fit on that either. They go in the dryer all winter and out on the line in summer.

      Delete
  6. A fun post. Love the sculpture promoting the music shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to come across. I must keep going out and finding things.

      Delete
  7. I'm curious as to what kind of musical instrument that monkey has in his backpack. Of course, none, since it's just a sculpture, but the store owners must want you to think there's one. Probably any musical instrument one might fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Promoting a musical instrument shop...?" That monkey is such an ugly ****er that he would surely drive potential customers away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His teeth might be too big to suck cock, but I look beyond such shallowness.

      Delete
  9. That monkey is cute, makes you stop and want to look at it.
    Funny sign 'no smoking' lol. 10 AAA batteries is ridiculous, no wonder you only saw it once. Lovely selection, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes No Smoking at the Smokin' Hut. I think the batteries have been put back in the packet.

      Delete
  10. I like the row of dinosaurs!
    I don't necessarily take jackets off when driving but I generally prefer to wear less structured items to start with because I just don't like the restriction and bulk of "outdoor" clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melbournians are fond of puffer jackets Kylie, and they aren't great when driving, let alone overcoats.

      Delete
  11. The batteries would weigh more than the toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possible TP. I wasn't very good at the remote operating of the toys.

      Delete
  12. In winter I wear a down coat when driving even with the heated seat turned on. It's cold, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much colder than here. Maybe three minutes of seat warmer here and it begins to burn.

      Delete
  13. Did the tram hit the car? I wonder what on earth happened. We have one of those laundry racks too -- slightly different design but very handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Steve, but how when the tram is on its own right of way with full traffic lights control of the intersection, did they meet.

      Delete
  14. Aw you have the precooked chickens there too. Makes life easy. Your boys' toys change out a lot. I have an rc mouse for my cats, or did, until it mysteriously vanished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Strayer. The ones from independents like Charcoal Chicken are generally better than the supermarket ones, but they are ok too.

      Delete
  15. You can find those cars here that are USB charged. 14 AA batteries is an expensive proposition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I am sure we have the same Chinese made rechargable models here, but they only bought them because they were cheap. Cheap for them but not for me who pays for the batteries. I would have told them to buy their own after the first lot were used.

      Delete
  16. What an interesting collection of images. 14 batteries seems excessive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well, as long as I am not paying...a second time.

      Delete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

Away

The triumvirate is away for a day or so. HH will feed Jass. Sister and Bone Doctor will use our car parking spaces in our absence.  Looking ...