Last week's Monday Mural was well liked, and why not. Along with Sami and others, here is this week's, nothing too wonderful. I have to spread the great with the not so great.
An Australian football match is underway and nicely captured in this mural. Atop the building says A.D. 1879. By the team colours, it seems like the former South Melbourne football club, now Sydney Swans. But I cannot imagine a connection between the team and railway workers to be seen in the background.

What a nice mural!
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda.
DeleteIf I had to nominate the most iconic Australian scene, it would certainly be football. Even an image of a kangaroo couldn't compete.
ReplyDeleteInteresting view, Hels. While I find footballers interesting and I'm both fascinated by the off field antics, and at times appalled, I really don't care for Aussie Rules.
DeleteLet me guess, you are a Melbourne supporter?
DeleteAndrew
Deletewhen I was in an Ormond kindergarten in 1951 and 52, the teachers asked asked all of the little ones who they barracked for, I didn't have a clue who I barracked for, so I said "My dad barracks for Carlton". I remember them saying "you have to support the team where you live. Melbourne, I suppose".
Melbourne only became a great team from 1956-1960 :)
How on earth could South Melbourne become Sydney Swans? By road, Melbourne and Sydney are 545 miles apart! Which position did you take when you played Aussie Rules?
ReplyDeleteBelieve me YP, it was very contentious at the time, as when Melbourne's Fitzroy team became Brisbane Lions. I was the orange boy, based in the club rooms full of the smell of men, sweat and liniment.
Deletea mingling of past and present in the mural? Is an oval now where the railway used to be? Are the railway workers fathers and Grandfathers of the players depicted? how many months does football season last? I am so sick of it always being on TV.
ReplyDeleteThe railway workers is possible but I don't know of any connection.
DeleteMost of the UK's first football teams started out as a workers team.
ReplyDeleteThey did have the nick name The Bloods, so I wonder if they were abattoir workers.
DeleteThat is an unusual one. I like the colour splash.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's pretty good, and the colour makes it.
DeleteThat's a true Aussie Mural, Andrew.
ReplyDeleteIt is Margaret.
DeleteIt looks fun!
ReplyDeleteYeah, it does JB. Thanks.
DeleteI wonder if the early players, were railway workers?
ReplyDeleteTP, while that makes sense, I can't think of the connection.
DeleteIt looks almost like a photograph. Great detail.
ReplyDeleteIt does Bob.
DeleteNice find Andrew, I like the spashesof red. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals
ReplyDeleteSami, the red does make it, and the team recognisable.
DeleteI had the same thought as Travel. Maybe the railway workers played on the team?
ReplyDeleteSteve, their home ground is just so far from anything railway apart one suburban line passing by.
DeleteA good one, Andrew. It is a nice juxtaposition of images.
ReplyDeleteThanks Pat.
DeleteRailroads made it possible for faraway teams to play each other maybe?
ReplyDeleteTenuous Kirk, but possibly.
DeleteAFL? It's a sport that's not widely broadcast here unlike the international rugby that I'm keeping up with at the moment, have a nice week.
ReplyDelete