Saturday, August 8, 2026

Limericks and words

The first limerick I think I heard was by my father, 'The boy stood on the burning deck, his pocket full of crackers...", you know how it goes.

The next I can remember was in a book I was reading, "Doctor Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain. He stepped into a puddle, right up to his muddle, and never went there again". This puzzled the very young me for two reasons. I must have known by the then how limericks should be constructed, and Foster could not possibly rhyme with Gloucester, which of course it does. The second issue being muddle, clearly meaning middle. Was muddle ever an alternative word for middle? Now online, I see the word middle is used, which makes it wrong as a limerick. I suppose you could say, 'He stepped into cow piddle, right up to his middle'. 

I had to look this one up as I had forgotten the main verse. This is also my father's quoted version.

"Not last night but the night before,

Three little monkeys came knocking at my door.

One had a fiddle, one had a drum,

And one had a pancake stuck to it's ???

Don't be mistaken, don't be misled,

One had a pancake stuck on it's head.".

I assume everyone who knows this verse also knows this version? Maybe that was my first introduction to word play.

I'm sure I could do much better than this off the cuff limerick, but;

There is a cat we know as Jass,

who could behave like a bit of an ass.

While she seems rather gruff,

she is not really that tough,

in fact she is just a bit sass.

 

29 comments:

  1. Ah, lovely Jass - how lucky she is to have her own limerick. 🐈🐈‍⬛

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh. Every dog I had had her own song created by me. I just love limericks. Jass will be pleased.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice about the songs for you dogs. What did you sing to your last dog. I forgotten its name.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness for the American island of _Nantucket_ off Mass. and near Rhode Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a wicked older lady, Hels. Love you for it.

      Delete
  4. Umm... Andrew, only your own effort about Jass resembles a lyric. The remainder are comic rhymes of one sort or another. "The boy stood on the burning deck" is a parody. The version I was taught by my father was:

    "The boy stood on the burning deck
    Picking his nose like mad.
    He rolled it into little balls
    And flicked it at his Dad."


    When I was teaching, 40 years ago now(!), I used to be involved in a massed singing class for year 7 on Friday afternoons. The boys were taught songs which eventually they were to sing at a school concert, and as a kind of reward for this they also had the chance to sing along to current popular hits with the assistance of an overhead transparency on which another teacher had transcribed the lyrics. One such song was "A good heart." Being Friday afternoon there was a kind of carnival atmosphere. For this song it was my job to fix the boys with an eagle eye to detect and prevent subversive mis-singings. I thought I was trying to stop them singing "A good fart these days is hard to find. A good fart!" Now I'm not sure if that is what they were singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, they aren't all limericks? I don't really understand.
      That is a version of 'The boy stood on the burning deck', I don't know.
      I do know the song where the word fart would be inserted.

      Delete
    2. You do really, cos you wrote one or sort of. A limerick has 5 lines, with rhythm 3,3,2,2,3 in terms of main stresses (this part is a bit of a simplification), and rhyme scheme AABBA..

      Delete
  5. Aww, look at Jass standing up by the window, was she watching for Phyllis to come home?
    I don't remember the rest of the "pockets full of crackers" limerick, but I remember one that went around the schoolyard:
    "I love you I love you I love you almighty
    I wish my pyjamas were next to your nightie
    Don't be mistaken, don't be misled,
    I mean on the clothesline, not in the bed."
    I wish I remembered more limericks, they're fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jass would only see Phyllis arriving home if it was by parachute. I think there must have been an insect outside the window.
      That limerick is not one I know, although the diversion is similar.

      Delete
  6. You did well Andrew regarding your pussycat.
    Never heard the monkey one but know the first one, though I had forgotten and looked it up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one I think was in a book I had, along with others. One about a goose as well?

      Delete
  7. I have a terrible memory for limericks, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is failing too Pat, but if I can remember a line or two, Google is helpful.

      Delete
  8. Excellent Jass limerick! I had to look up the rest of the one about the boy and his crackers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The noun beginning with k is probably not really known in the US but I would have thought you would have heard it in England.

      Delete
  9. In the garden, I leaned 'gainst a tree
    This angered a too busy bee
    He chased me aroun'
    Until I fell down
    That bugger then stung me times three.

    True story unfortunately, from three days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work Strayer, yes I remember you getting stung.

      Delete
    2. Thanks I was headed off to Waldo Lake when I decided to try my hand at a limerick. Jass is a dear but I bet she can be a sass. She sure is beautiful. Maybe she knows it.

      Delete
  10. Enjoyable post Andrew. I like the cat is that yours?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jass is beautiful and lucky to have her own limerick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'The cat crept into the crypt and c******' that is all I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one, you avoided taking our saviour's name in vain.

      Delete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

An evening out

It seemed curious to have a dinner party on a Monday night. I say dinner party, but it was five of us who were invited, and I was the only g...