I began this post quite a while ago. In January 2025, New York City introduced a traffic congestion charge in part of the busiest borough, Manhattan. I am not sure when these details were published, but I will guess at some point in 2025, maybe a few months after the charge was introduced, the charge I believe being about US$9.
Here is a copy and paste of some of the earliest stats.
What’s changed since the toll began?
Here are some details one year after the congestions charge was implemented. I now understand the charge begins south of 60th Street, pretty well south of Central Park, so it is a very large and very congested area.
The number of vehicles entering the area is down 11%. That may not sound a lot, but it is 73,000 fewer cars daily.
One killer stat is the killing of people by cars is down 20%. It's worth doing just for that alone.
PM2.5 pollution, whatever that is, is down 22%
Subway ridership was up by 5%, with number of trips up by 9%.
Express bus trips up by 8%, and local bus trips up by 8%.
Public transport crime in 2025 was down 5% over 2024 figures.
Until November 2025, US$518 million has been collected by the charge, funding 18 new projects, and budgeting into the the future will see US$6 billion extra spent on public transport.
This really is a success story in New York City, as is the congestion charge in London and Singapore, and I really think it should be implemented in Sydney and Melbourne, within the Central Business Districts, in Melbourne with the exception of King Street and Victoria Street, which are such through routes. There could be an argument about the eastern end of Flinders Street.
Melbourne City's traffic is mostly at a crawl, as hundreds of delivery drivers mix with motorists looking for cheap on street parking. King Street, Victoria Street and Lonsdale (our east west bus street) move quite well.
Now if Boud hadn't sold her car, I could send her a $50 cheque to cover her costs to drive into Manhattan for a personal report. But I haven't written a cheque since the 1990s.
Where I live, in a small town there isn't any congestion but in the bigger cities it's pretty bad, driving in peak hour traffic can take about 2 hours which I don't miss at all, have a nice weekend.
ReplyDelete