It has been an interesting week in the state of Victoria, Australia.
Politics was at the fore as the ruling Labor Party dumped its leader Jacinta Allen for a respected bloke.
After quite a number terms in office, the former premier saw the writing on the wall, and as happens, handed over the poisoned chalice to Ms Allen. This is what the Labor Party does when it sees the end of its rule on the horizon, handing over power to a woman. It has history.
Former Premier Allen received such undeserved vitriol.
The numbers of women in politics in Australia is good, but they are just not well treated by apparatchiks, especially by the Murdoch media, and judged by the public much more harshly than men are judged.
Gracious in defeat, Ms Allen's resignation speech contained something for women to note.
"Please don't look at what I have experienced this week and think: 'stuff that, I don't want to be involved.' Look at the support I have experienced over my career and think: 'I can make a difference here too.'"

Women in politics are certainly judged differently to men. Even what they wear gets commented on, when a man could wear the same suit and tie every day and no one would say a thing!
ReplyDelete