I've visited the Canadian provinces British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.
Ray had cousins in Saskatchewan.
Surely we all know Quebec, province and city.
I also knew Newfoundland and Labrador.
I missed Manitoba, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.
So you've been edjicated about Canadian provinces, but probably not remember most.
We won't go down the road of Canadian territories.
interesting compare the Brit settlement of Canada with that of Australia. Nova Scotia = NSW New Brunswick and PE = Victoria and Queensland, Manitoba = South Australia. BC = WA (the two are so alike). Alberta and Saskatchewan have no equivalents. Quebec was a conquest not a settlement. Roderick.
ReplyDeleteRoderick, all I can offer is Toronto felt like Sydney to me, and Vancouver felt more Melbourne.
DeleteI have been to both of them and yes Melbourne and Vancouver are alike but I think I would find Melbourne better for living. Roderick
DeleteFurther. The 1890s gold rushes, WA was adjacent to the Australian one and so expanded to include the area. BC was closest to the Canadian gold rush but far from adjacent, so the separate Yukon Territory was established, surviving to this day. Roderick
ReplyDeleteInteresting, thanks.
DeleteThe road of Canadian territories is a very long and arduous one. The population of Nunavut is just under 42,000 even though in land area it is immense.
ReplyDeleteSuch a low population when the climate is so nice. Curious.
DeleteWhy don't you move there with your adopted sons? Escape the Australian air fryer!
DeleteAnd join the ice/snow/blizzard lifestyle?? No thank you. Andrew might agree with me on this.
DeleteIn southern Australia we have a cold winter, but not snow and ice. We have hot summers, but generally not humidity. The summer weather in northern America was not pleasant at all when we visited.
DeleteI missed Nova Scotia because I always think it's part of a bigger province, and New Brunswick. I included Nunavut as a province, oops.
ReplyDeleteYou are very honest, Boud.
DeleteI have since written down all provinces and capitals plus the three territories and taped the list inside my old dictionary alongside many other taped lists of things which I think may be useful in the future when my grandchildren inherit the older-than-dirt dictionary, and the old Atlas too. Even if things around the world change drastically, at least they will know how things used to be.
ReplyDeleteCapitals off the top of my head, BC-Victoria, Ontario-Ottawa? Or is that the capital of Canada. Quebec-Quebec City, Alberta-Edmonton, Nova Scotia-Halifax. The rest I don't know.
DeleteAlways having ambition to travel, I regret having done little before my husband became so mentally and physically disinclined. ~sigh~ Thank you for sharing so many of your memories traveling with Ray!
ReplyDelete