Sami and others participate in Monday Mural.
Phyllis went to an optometrist in Clarendon Street, South Melbourne for an eye test. Eye tests are free for me, but he had to pay $100.
The way overseas students are constantly slugged financially by the Australian government is in my opinion, a disgrace. Yes, they should pay their way, but they are contributing far more than just paying their way.
As Phyllis and Kesav returned, they came across this mural and took photos for me. On the far left, above the monkey's head it says, "Happiness is a quiet revolution".
Nice, but at times a revolution cannot be quiet. Good luck to young people of the Indian Cockroach Janta Party, with their protests against government corruption. The party and protests has already seen one government minister resign in disgrace.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
A happy, colourful mural! I really like this, Andrew!
ReplyDeleteThanks heaps, Linda.
DeleteActually Overseas students can pay an additional fee in their compulsory health insurance package to cover physio dental and optical.. We have so many students from overseas studying in Australia, the burden falls on taxpayers if we have to pick up that cost as well. It is a choice to study overseas and students are made aware of those costs prior to coming.
ReplyDeletehere. I think universities who make billions from from overseas students should perhaps assist with this as optometry students need to have on the job training
Andrew, I did some quick research .Melbourne Uni runs an eye care clinic they also run a dental clinic, so if the lads need a cheaper option they should ask their Uni student welfare office how to aces these kinds of medical services, They would be cheaper than private providers.
DeleteThanks. I will mention this to them. I believe o/s students should pay their way, but they really are ripped off by our government with ridiculous fees for what is a few keyboard strokes.
DeleteThat is fascinating.
ReplyDeleteA revolution is surely needed, and at this point, I am done being quiet.
ReplyDeleteDebby, sometimes letters, phone calls and emails are not enough, and people need to get out onto the streets.
DeleteI think it's a great mutual blessing that those boys came into your life
ReplyDeleteExactly how it is Cloudia.
DeleteVery nice mural, thank you Phylliss
ReplyDeleteThanks River.
DeleteLovely to take a photo for you. It is a bit rich charging $100. Thanks for the link.
ReplyDeleteMargaret, as we don't pay, we don't know the real cost, and apparently $100 is reasonable.
DeleteI was talking to an o/s student a while back about having a sebaceous cyst removed. He was having to pay $1,000 while mine was free on the recommendation of my doctor. For many, it's considered cosmetic surgery, whereas for me, because of my medical conditions, it's considered life saving.
ReplyDeleteJames, I remember having such a cyst and it was quite minor to lance it and let it drain. Maybe it depends where the cyst is? $1,000 sounds a lot for such a procedure.
DeleteThey nailed you a good mural there lad. From now on you won't need to leave the comfort of your luxury apartment to snap murals - just send the boys out. At the risk of causing your innate anger to boil over like frothing lava, I would say that overseas students should not receive benefits that are funded by host citizens. I am sure that they can take out insurance to cover healthcare costs. We had to do this for our daughter when she spent a year at university in Birmingham, Alabama.
ReplyDeleteI do not expect Australia to subsidise overseas students, but nor do I think they should be overcharged and frankly, ripped off by our government. They have private student health insurance as a condition of their visas, but that doesn't cover optometry, nor does it cover a visit to a private doctor, nor dentistry. I will guess it covers them for hospital care, private or public. Even as a pensioner, I am not covered for dental without joining a long waiting list. My eye tests are free, but spectacles are not.
DeleteOkay. I managed to minimise the lava flow.
DeleteI wonder if he might be able to claim something back from his Student health insurance? Or maybe that just covers GP's/hospitals and not extras? Health is expensive in Australia for sure, I got 5 implants and Jose got 5 and a crown done in Portugal, and it cost us $35 thousand plus 2x2 flights another $10 thousand, and we got quoted about $100 thousand by my dentist! And we get to see the family too. It would probably be even cheaper in Asian countries but not knowing people who have done it, I couldn't rely on it.
ReplyDeleteThe mural is quite bright and nice, thanks for participating in Monday Murals Andrew.
Sami, I guess only hospital cover, but someone above mentioned free student optometry at universities. But they are now no longer students.
DeleteEither in Portugal or Australia, both are so much money, but obviously Portugal is cheaper. Asian countries are certainly cheaper still, but people need to do their homework and not go for the cheapest.
That mural is FULL of action! I like the race car in particular. And the big Hokusai-ish wave!
ReplyDeleteDebra, the mural is close to site of the Australian Grand Prix.
DeleteI agree, fair's fair, but ripping off foreign students isn't. That happens in the US, too. In fact a lot of higher ed institutions are crying about the feller in the White House choking off their foreign, translation $$, students.
ReplyDeleteMy eyes roll Boud. How much more damage can he do?
DeleteI can almost hear the roar of the F-1 car.
ReplyDeleteTP, at least they only roar now, and not scream.
DeleteThere is a lot going on there!
ReplyDeleteThere is Bob. I would have eventually found it myself.
DeleteAmazing murals .
ReplyDeleteGreat mural! You have trained them well, John stops for mural pics when he's on his own!!
ReplyDeleteWell done, Phyllis. 😊
ReplyDeleteI like the waves breaking over the doorway, Andrew.
ReplyDeleteHow nice of them to take photos for you. My insurance doesn't cover eye exams even though I'm diabetic, which stinks. I thought it would be included, but oh well. I'm glad the fellows have access to good healthcare. Give them my best. :D Strayer up in Oregon always seems bereft. Be well!
ReplyDelete