Friday, July 10, 2026

Modi Matters

India's Prime Minister Modi is visiting Australia to a hero style welcome by the Indian diaspora. He is only visiting Melbourne, probably because 40% of the Australian said Indian diaspora live in Greater Melbourne. 

Modi is a man of the people, especially if you are Hindu. He is not so popular with Sikhs, Moslems and southern Indians, the latter as I am informed by Phyllis and Kosov. India has the largest population in the world, so it is kind of important. 

I don't really follow Indian politics but I've picked up that Modi is a rather autocratic leader who has pushed through some great things for India. India now stands on the world stage, and I think that has been Modi's doing, partly by modernising the country, fixing some issues, but not poverty. And also making world alliances, as he is doing here in Australia. It seems his general popularity will ensure his party will continue to be elected to government until he retires, or is assassinated, as a number before have been. 

My workplace in my young years had many Anglo Indian staff. As time went on, there were more Indian Indian employees. I developed a friendship with a gay Anglo Indian who was educated in one of the best schools in Calcutta and spoke with a very posh English accent in a nice baritone voice. 

We were friends for some twenty five years before he had a mental breakdown (AIDS related I think), cut himself off from all his friends and acquaintances and moved to the country. Ray and I at the time felt it was a very hard rejection but in time we came to understand his mental health issues. 

Through him over those years and even after his breakdown, we became part of Melbourne's gay Indian community and also that of Chinese type Asians, and the good and bad of it all. We got to know many people, some of who I still know.

So Ray and I did know quite a number of Asian and Indian gay guys. On a whim I just thought, I wonder what an ad on GayShare might bring up? A quiet and studious Asian guy student or a young and out there white gay guy? An older white guy? My thought was to offer cheap accommodation to a gay overseas student. 

The guys I could see online were prepared to pay quite high prices. I felt financially insecure at the time, wondering if I could afford to continue to live here without Ray's contribution to half of the costs. 

Within a few hours Phyllis answered the ad and I arranged for him to visit. Renovations were soon to start, so he could not move in immediately, but before works were finished, he was desperate and had paid a substantial deposit. Then his 'straight' friend moved in too, who absolutely adored Phyllis, so not so straight. I think in less than five years, they will marry. 

Indians seem to be my destiny, or at least around for most of my adult life. Little did I know how our lives would become entwined. This is a photo Phyllis may have used on GayShare. I am not sure now. I found it somewhere. 


19 comments:

  1. Well Phyllis is a hot young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, the photo has had an AI job done on it. His looks are ok.

      Delete
  2. Phyllis is a nice loking young man and I am glad you put that ad on GayShare, you now have company to share your days and home with and two very nice young men have a safe home and someone to help them learn and grow. Adelaide has a decent sized Indian population, though I don't see many around my area, only the boys who started and run a quite succesful car wash business at the local supermarket, they are always happy. There are two families living in my street, but I rarely see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As above River. Indian people are generally a good fit to Australia, with our common language, accents aside.

      Delete
  3. Kosovo was said to be straight? I'm going to have to go back and look at those old posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, don't bother. I deleted photos of them after 24 hours, as I will with this one.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, Phyllis knew what he was doing with that very soulful shot for Gayshare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, nah MC. I didn't see his photo until well after he applied, and I checked his profile.

      Delete
  5. PS: will you be going to the funeral of the other HH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you lot up north called him 'The mouth from the south'. As a neighbour, he was chatty and friendly. He offered sympathy when Ray died. After the 2009 fires and the major electricity cable in the north of my state was burnt out, and I was stuck in the lift with his then wife and the building cleaner, he wrote something that I challenged him over, with him saying something about Ray, who was quickly out of the stuck lifts, of deserting me. I can't be bothered remembering further detail.

      Delete
  6. Nice photo of Phyllis Andrew.
    It's odd I suppose how life leads us to different cultures and we seem to be drawn to it. It's good it all happened because you have made two wonderful friends who live with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, to have enough money and feel happy in life is a world privilege that so many don't have.

      Delete
  7. India is a British Commonwealth country so they do intelligent things like driving on the correct side of the road. Plus I think India was a great place to holiday, even though we only had enough time to see from Delhi to the northern cities. Next time it will be longer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, have you booked your litter to be carried around?

      Delete
  8. Yes in total agreement with Janice. Soulful is the word I would use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good day that was when Phyllis responded to your ad, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating how you met Phyllis. I'm glad it's worked out so well. It's like you have a built-in family living with you. I knew nothing about Indian politics or Modi. You're broadening my horizons, Andrew. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How heartbreaking to lose a longtime friend, especially in such a tragic way. Hugs, my dear. I believe and hope you are correct about Phyllis and Kosov. :D

    ReplyDelete

As spam prevention, if you comment three days after after a post is first published, I will need to approve your comment, so it won't appear immediately.

Friday Funny

The waiter was deadpan. It was funny to me, but what I think is AI at the end of the guy almost spitting out his coffee, just made it. I...